Author Topic: no flappy paddles for CVT  (Read 16304 times)

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
no flappy paddles for CVT
« on: September 27, 2014, 01:33:24 PM »
My new jazz cvt does not have flappy paddles.  The salesman rang me to check if I had any questions.   I said that there are no flappy paddles.  He said that there must be and that I just have not seen them.  There are definitely no flappy paddles.  There are holes where they would be.  Presumably Honda have dropped them.  The cvy box has a S mode and a L mode.  The handbook discusses them, but does not mention flappy paddles and seven pre programmed ratios.  The description of the L mode is similar to the description of the S mode, but it is said that the L mode is for use on hills.  When I said this to the salesman he said that the Jazz does not have a L mode.  The selector definitely has a L mode and the handbook describes it, so the salesman is wrong.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
Re: no flappy paddles for CVT
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 03:29:33 PM »
The selector definitely has a L mode and the handbook describes it, so the salesman is wrong.

What year is the car?

I've looked at pictures of the 2014 Jazz CVT models and I can't see a "L" mode, only P, R, N, D, S.

As for the holes. I wouldn't have thought there be holes if it were factory, I'd expect some blanking plate/grommets filling the gaps left. Has someone removed them?

Pictures is what we ideally need. 

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 04:49:09 PM »
L mode ??

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 05:06:06 PM »
The old CVT-7 on the GD models have a L mode below S, not sure what the selector position are on later models unless someone can show me a pic.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 07:03:32 PM »
L mode ??

'L'  mode was/is a gear selector position that held the gearbox in the lower gears for steep hill descent

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 07:08:11 PM »
L mode ??

'L'  mode was/is a gear selector position that held the gearbox in the lower gears for steep hill descent
Like the old 1 & 2  ;) ;)

Jazzdriver

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 07:52:06 PM »
The selector definitely has a L mode and the handbook describes it, so the salesman is wrong.
What year is the car?

The car was made in Swindon about 10 days ago.  The salesman said it is 2015 model year.

Perhaps Honda has abandoned flappy paddles and brought back the L mode instead.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 07:54:02 PM by Jazzdriver »

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 08:51:50 PM »
I don't think they have abandoned them. I'd be concerned that they should be there if there are actually holes where they would be.

(I've not got much time for paddles, or the 7-speed button, or the S mode. An auto to me should be exactly that and have P,R,N,D at most)

guest4078

VicW

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »
(I've not got much time for paddles, or the 7-speed button, or the S mode. An auto to me should be exactly that and have P,R,N,D at most)
[/quote]

I agree that the paddle gear shift on a Jazz is pointless as is the 7-speed function which imitates a stepped auto gearbox .  The cost of these could have been spent elsewhere, such as making 'climate control' aircon standard.

On the other hand I found the 'S' function very useful as it's use definitely improves acceleration. Most modern auto boxes have a manual gear shift function available for enhanced performance.

Vic.

poul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 1,3 Elegance Cvt Navi
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »

I agree that the paddle gear shift on a Jazz is pointless as is the 7-speed function which imitates a stepped auto gearbox .  The cost of these could have been spent elsewhere, such as making 'climate control' aircon standard.

On the other hand I found the 'S' function very useful as it's use definitely improves acceleration. Most modern auto boxes have a manual gear shift function available for enhanced performance.

Vic.
[/quote]

I am very happy with the floppy paddles when we drive in the Mountains and also useful when slowing the car Down or when there is a hill and you want more power with out using the accelerator. Agree that S is impressive in what it does.

Jazzdriver

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 09:52:39 PM »
Honda has now confirmed that they no longer do flappy paddles and that they just leave holes where they would have been.  I don't mind, as I don't see it as a flappy paddle sort of car.

guest4871

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 04:39:58 PM »
I find this a little difficult to understand.

How do you achieve engine breaking (e.g. going down a steep hill or just slowing down) without being able to select a lower gear?

Or accelerate in a short burst (e.g. to overtake a cyclist)?

Are there other ways of using a lower gear without using the paddles?

VicW

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 07:12:48 PM »
I find this a little difficult to understand.

How do you achieve engine breaking (e.g. going down a steep hill or just slowing down) without being able to select a lower gear?
When you shut the throttle the car does not freewheel, the driven wheels are still connected to the engine so you get engine braking. The gearbox control unit also senses when you are going down hill with the throttle shut and lowers the gear ratio accordingly.

Or accelerate in a short burst (e.g. to overtake a cyclist)?
Simply open the throttle, the gearbox control unit senses the demand and lowers the gear ratio. The wider the throttle opening the lower the ratio, the better the acceleration.

Are there other ways of using a lower gear without using the paddles?
Select 'S' mode. This will do two things, it will lower the effective gear ratio that you are in immediately and raise the gear change up point revolutions for better performance. This is why I said previously about using 'S' for overtaking.

Vic.

guest5041

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 11:34:26 PM »
i have collected my new Jazz today and like JazzDriver I have no paddles
 on the steering wheel.  I have holes!!!! and an L button on the gear stick
The demonstrator we drove had paddles    why have I not been informed of the change.   Have i any redress with the dealer or Honda, We wanted paddles.

Tags: