Author Topic: How fussy/daft are you?  (Read 3804 times)

guest1010

How fussy/daft are you?
« on: August 08, 2013, 06:29:03 PM »
Just been reading the thread on rust and had a look at my '09 EX. No rust, but there again I have always washed it with Megs Gold Class Car Wash, always filled it with Shell VPower and used Castrol Edge oil. I'm probably wasting my money but I'm happy.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: How fussy/daft are you?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 09:18:42 AM »
LOL

With a young family, I no longer have the time to wash my car weekly- dont think I've actually personally washed my GE for at least 2 years now  :o although hopefully wont be long before I can get back to this as my son is now 3 years old so he can start helping me  ;D

Everyone views are different but as long as you're happy, thats all that matters imo but I have to admit that I too just use Shell VPower (now Nitro + or whatever its called) as I've been running an experiment over the last few months comparing my mpg between Fuelsave and VPower and VPower ALWAYS gives me about 4-6mpg more than Fuelsave

guest3170

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »
I told Junior's friend to sit on his hands and keep his feet off the floor in case he got the car dirty. Funny thing was he actually tried it for a while before he realised I wasn't being entirely serious :)

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 07:56:45 AM »
When it comes to pass the car on, its initial appearance is everything.  So I would suggest that careful washing and maintenance pays dividends. 

I always sell my cars to private people (most often my staff) who know that the car has been well looked after and selling it becomes easy (provided the price is right of course)
If music be the food of love, play on

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »
Apart from using Shell V-Power, I use the  Mann Frecious Plus cabin air filters. They cost slightly more than standard ones but can be brought cheap online. They keep exhaust fumes out really well, eg from buses.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 10:56:22 PM »
I can relate to most of the mildly OCD stuff on this thread. I've just waxed my Jazz pre winter but worry about whether I should have clayed it first. I read articles on fuel grade and just get more confused. Will the extra additives help? Will I own the car long enough to benefit? How often should you wax and/or polish the car, how often should you wash it? Should you use snow foam etc etc?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 07:00:50 AM »
I clay my car every spring before giving it a serious wax. I use Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax.Throughout the summer I wash it every week, using the two bucket method and rinseless wash. Just before autumn sets in I wax the car again, then during the winter months I wash the car as regular as the weather permits, especially if it gets really dirty, taking care to wash the grime of the lower half first.
Regarding petrol, I have tried the V-Power, liked the increased smoothness (maybe all in my head), but couldn't justify the exorbitant price.. I have used supermarket fuel for years now, in a range of cars, and never experienced any detrimental effects.
I record and collate my fuel consumption figures constantly. I recently was given a ScanGauge and that gives me loads of interesting data. I never noticed any increase in mpg using the better fuel, certainly not enough to warrant the extra expense.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 08:23:51 AM »
I tend to look after the hidden parts of the car more than the visible ones, so rarely wax or even clean paintwork,  but will wax headlights and taillights once a month to try to prevent plastic going cloudy. Also whenever I have to take wheels off I will spray motorbike chain lube onto all metal, threads, bushes etc that I can get to. Will strip brake calipers every year, especially the rears and make sure oil changes etc are done frequently, will glug some redex in a couple of times a year and add Molyslip to engine and gearbox oil. Always buy best battery I can get, same with spark plugs and filters.  I don't really care what anyone thinks of appearance of my cars, as long as I know they are mechanically sound and above all reliable. I would rather spend money on useful stuff rather than polish.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 11:23:00 AM »
+1 for Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax - very durable and easy to wax on/wax off.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 03:17:14 PM »
Yesterday, I was sussing out on how to do the 'air con cooling rad' protection job. I removed the 4 plastic things and just pulled the top of the bumper away from the bonnet slam panel just for a reccy. I will be removing the grill just by removing the two self tappers. I replaced the horns about year or so ago and nothing untoward BUT yesterday all along the bracket that runs behind the grill was red rust in All the seams. SO when the protector is done there is some serious anti rust to be done. I know this piece is replaceable but that's not the point. Is this more of my shoddy repair work coming to light or is Honda's paint particularly thin on these parts.
I really do wonder how a good little car can be so marred by the  stupidity of man.

Tags:

anything