Author Topic: Automatic Climate Control  (Read 5587 times)

Tenrab

• Approved Member
Automatic Climate Control
« on: February 26, 2009, 05:19:01 PM »
Hi there i'm new to this forum, but a Honda owner of 30 years and never had a single problem with any of the 9 new cars in that time.
The latest is a EX iShift and the previous was a DSI CVT Sport both of which has Automatic Climate Control. The new system is nothing like the old system in that you cannot feel a blast of warm air when auto mode is turned on from cold and after that the car then does not appear to be getting warm, infact my wife complains that it is cold even though the temp is set to 22ºC.
The dealer has advised that the system is totally different now and that warm air is only emitted from the footwell and that it will take more than 30 minutes for the system to reach the set temperature. This is totally unacceptable to me and i can tell you i'm not experiencing the "Honda Happiness at the moment and the Dream is fast disappearing" :'(
Of course I could work around this by using A/C together with manual control but I have paid a lot extra for the EX spec'd to have AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
Have any of you guys suffered the same problem or can you please tell me how your ACC works, I also believe the new Civic has the same ACC?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 05:20:42 PM by Tenrab »

guest489

Re: Automatic Climate Control
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:07:45 PM »
I just took delivery of a 2009 Jazz EX. My last 3 cars were a Civic Exec[last model], Stream 2.0 and a Jazz Sport and all had Climate Control, which I would not do without. The new system in my 2009 Jazz seems just as effective as the 3 previous models, if not more so. It warms up in seconds if I set it anywhere above my normal preferred [cool] setting of 18.

I just press the Auto switch so it reads 'Auto' just above the set temperature on the circular LED display.

Tenrab

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:09:32 AM »
Hi JazzPolice

Thank you so much for your reply, it was just the information I required to be vindicated.
Your timing was absolutely perfect as the car is booked in for an investigation tomorrow.

Many thanks again, I shall keep you informed on this matter.

Roy                                              ;D

Tenrab

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 05:47:29 PM »
Hi guys just to report progress todate with the automatic climate control system problem.

Have now got the car back after spending 2 days in the dealer's workshop whilst they carried out extensive tests as follows:-
Diagnostic checks- checked for DTC's with HDS none recorded. Carried out self-diagnostic function without HDS, system functioning correctly. Replaced incar temp sensor. Checked sensor input display mode, operating correctly. Carried out full system input display recording figures and measuring against another new vehicle- test results compatable. Input sensor test with a new sensor at 24ºc- probe test 21.5ºc, system functioning correctly Conclusion operating within manufacturer's specification.

Service manager advised that it could take up to an an hour to stabalise the set temperature and ACC should therefore not be used for short journeys of half an hour or so. For short journeys the semi-automatic or manual mode should be used.
OK so I used semi-automatic mode on a two hour journey yesterday, set 23ºc, fan half max speed, mode feet/face, but my wife had a cold draft on her feet and legs again whilst wearing cord trousers and knee length socks >:( so resorted to the travel blanket!!!!!

Myself I am just fine but she has a cold draft so I am now wondering could it be a cold draft through the front bulkhead from the engine bay or someware. ????

Any comments from GE Jazz owners would be most useful as this is driving me mad.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 06:52:06 PM by Tenrab »

guest489

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:52:31 PM »
Tenrab,
I haven't taken the EX on any long journeys yet, and don't expect to do so until next week. What I did not mention, in my earlier post, about the quick warm-up, though, was that [I think] I had the fan switched up at first [ie semi-auto]. So, when there is a big disparity between the ambient and desired temperatures once the engine itself has had a short time minutes to warm up from cold, I put the fan right up to max for a couple of minutes. I then set the fan speed back to a low speed for the rest of the journey when it feels near the right temperature, and expect the Auto to do the fine-tuning. Incidentally, the refrigerated glove compartment may be less effective with auto on. I put some sandwiches and a can in there yesterday, and it didn't chill much unless I switched to manual aircon with the fan set high.

Yesterday it was very sunny and, maybe because I had the glass roof uncovered, despite the time of year, it got too warm for me. I tried to cool the car down and I think it was taking an unusually long time to get down to a low temperature. So I did what I described above, fan-boosted it for a minute or so until it felt it had got down to about a comfortable 18, then left it at 18 on Auto. But I shouldn't have to do this, and now I too am wondering whether the Climate Control is as responsive at start-up, as my last Jazz Sport.

So I'm beginning to get a little suspicious [with your help!], and I will definitely be keeping an eye on things. I'm not certain about the passenger side, and draughts there ... I have some daughter taxi-ing to do next week, so I'll find out then if it feels different on the other side.

Climate Control should be about 'set and forget' - so, like you, I'll grump if I have to contrive some special procedure to get the best out of it. But it may just be that I need to get used to a different system. A downside of a system that has to quickly make up a large temperature change is that it may set off a lot of fan noise when you don't want it. In any event, the idea that you shouldn't use ACC except on very long journeys is, I agree, potty!

Rabiedmushroom

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 02:59:28 PM »
I also have an EX, and am also slightly mystified what it does when on fully auto setting (i.e. it seems to do its own thing!).

It was great in the very cold and snowy weather, very toasty.
However with warmer springtime weather, I find I manually set it to about 22-24 floor&screen or floor&vents. It gets up to temp quickly, but after an hour it blows cold. I have presumed its got up to correct temp and then starts cycling cool/warm?

I think I read in the handbook that the internal sensor was somewhere near the steering wheel close to the drivers footwell?

Tags:

anything