Author Topic: Oil leak.  (Read 8129 times)

Oldie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES manual
Oil leak.
« on: August 20, 2011, 11:19:20 AM »
Hi,

We have a late 2009 1.4 ES manual Jazz which has only done 8460 miles, used infrequently but always on reasonably long runs.

The car has just had it's second service - a little early and the dealer informed me that they needed the car back for a whole day to rectify an oil leak. I was asked if I had noticed any oil on the drive but I hadn't. When I asked the whereabouts of the leak I was told by the receptionist that she thought it was between the engine and the gearbox. This puzzles me as I can't see any signs of oil when looking under the bonnet, I don't have any ramps to look underneath.

I was told that an authorization was needed from Honda and then they would order the part and carry out the repair.

Has anybody any idea what this is likely to be please?

Geoffers

Re: Oil leak.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 12:38:40 PM »
Hmm, mine's in next week for a service. Wonder if they'll do the same?

guest2662

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 01:42:02 PM »
might be crankshaft oil leak or sump gasket

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:56:24 PM »
so long as honda are footing the bill i wouldn't worry too much about it

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 04:22:19 PM »
My guess is that they noticed a hint of oil on the outside of a joint and are being proactive about rectifying the problem. Standards have gone up in the past 50 years: My first car was a 1958 Austin A35 which had a few rust problems but never, as my local garage pointed out, down the middle which was covered by a layer of oil that had seeped from various gaskets on the engine.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Oldie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 05:06:48 PM »
Hmmm. Thanks for the feedback, the receptionist was certain that they would require the car for a whole day because there was a lot of work to get to replace the part. They have offered to come and collect the car in the morning and return it when complete - about 60 miles round trip.
That suggests that it is not a sump gasket but something more, I will try to find out when they contact me to arrange collection in about a week or whenever Honda gives the ok.

Oldie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 04:05:31 PM »
A bit more information on the oil leak.

I spoke to the Honda agent locally today and was told that during the service it had been noted that oil was leaking from the main oilway channel, presumably somewhere between the gearbox and engine. Apparently this is sealed by a "crush-washer" which must be replaced. There is a lot of stripping down required but I have been assured that Honda has agreed to cover the cost as the vehicle is still under the warranty. A whole day at least, is required I am told. Glad they are paying the bill!

Geoffers

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 07:17:28 PM »
Hmm, mine's in next week for a service. Wonder if they'll do the same?

Almost forgot about this one.

Didn't do it to mine. I wait for mine whilst it's in the workshops. The service was done inbout 90 minutes.
I did notice that their copy of the service sheet was stamped 'RECALL CHECKED' so I guess it's not a recall issue!

Oldie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 10:02:05 AM »
Our Jazz has now been repaired by our local main dealer (who have been superb by the way), It was collected yesterday am. and returned early evening all courtesy of Honda.

If my understanding is correct, the repair required the removal of the gearbox, clutch and flywheel - a lot of work, and was apparently required to cure a leaking plug in the the engine casing. The reason this blanking plug exists does not seem obvious to me but it is supposed to be sealed by a crush-washer and this was apparently leaking oil presumably into the clutch/bell-housing. I may be wrong but I think this could be mistaken for a leaking crank-shaft oil seal in that oil would I imagine drip out of the bell-housing drain hole. I was told that a new main bearing oil seal was fitted during the repair and so that should be one less thing to worry about in future.

I asked if we had been very unlucky as the Jazz has such a good reputation for reliability but was told that, no the dealer had rectified quite a few of these.

I am pleased at the way this has turned out, the fault was spotted during the second service and the Honda dealer made great efforts to fix it with the minimum of trouble to me - very reassuring!

Tags: