Author Topic: Underside corrosion  (Read 5237 times)

babyjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.2 Mk2
Underside corrosion
« on: December 08, 2017, 12:59:32 PM »
Is that anything reasonable a normal car user like myself can do to in terms of underside corrosion protection?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Underside corrosion
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 03:26:13 PM »
Wash the underside of the car if you can, this removes the salt.. Pay particular attention to the wheel arches and try to spray around the edges of them to remove accumulations of grit.
If you never wash the car in the winter try and hose it down to remove the salt. Keep the windows clean.
Use concentrated screen wash to prevent the washers freezing.

Vic.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 03:34:30 PM »
I agree with what Vic says above. It's amazing how much crud accumulates in the edges of the wheel arches - and this just traps moisture and salt. In fact it's probably more important to keep on top of this than any other cleaning routine. Modern cars are pretty well protected on the whole though.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
Wash the underside of the car if you can, this removes the salt.. Pay particular attention to the wheel arches and try to spray around the edges of them to remove accumulations of grit.
If you never wash the car in the winter try and hose it down to remove the salt. Keep the windows clean.
Use concentrated screen wash to prevent the washers freezing.

Vic.

Just to add never use high pressure spray to remove salt from underside, it can force it into places you don't want it to go and if you get it too close can damage or lift underseal.  Use normal pressure garden hose and cold water.

Using rainex or similar on side windows helps snow and ice removal but don't use it on front screen as it does not last long with wipers and screencast and can cause smearing.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:41:17 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 03:41:48 PM »
Just to add never use high pressure spray to remove salt from underside, it can force it into places you don't want it to go and if you get it too close can damage or lift underseal.  Use normal pressure garden hose and cold water.

Good advice.

Vic.

guest4871

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 04:38:33 PM »
Using rainex or similar on side windows helps snow and ice removal but don't use it on front screen as it does not last long with wipers and screencast and can cause smearing.

Yes, do not use rainex on the front screen. It can cause awful smearing and it the devil to remove (if at all) - unless, of course, you want to reapply it every four weeks or so.

Tags:

anything