Author Topic: runs then stops  (Read 4588 times)

guest7946

Re: runs then stops
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 10:11:50 AM »
planing on doing that tomorrow thought it was strange but makes sense reads to hot and adjusts timing and fuel to suit and adjust to much and not running we did notice when codes where cleared and we tried to re start it was backfiring

so is this the one in the block at the front behind the starter 

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 06:07:33 PM »
Hi all i managed to get a code reader from one of our mechanics and he cleared all codes for me and then rescaned
codes that came up was po118 wont clear  and   ect sencor1 high  so where do i go from here

cheers all your help has been great

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/p0118-obd-ii-trouble-code-engine-coolant-temperature-ect-sensor-circuit-high-open-problem-by-jay-safford

open circuit could be a broken wire or connection,  or maybe something not plugged in when engine was swapped - best to eyeball the sensor and plugs first to see if anything obvious as it may not be the sensor that is faulty.

article says po118 will cause engine to go into rich fuel mode and maybe run rough, so it should start and run at coldest temperatures but will be getting too much fuel - so the opposite of fuel starvation
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:14:04 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 08:26:16 AM »
Sounds like the cootant temp. sender is disconnected or faulty.

The backfiring could be due to excess fuel, the engine may be flooded. Some ECUs discontinue ignition to save the engine under certain fault conditions, which would flood the engine.

guest7946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »
good hopefully were going the right way
so which of the sender is it there about 4 coming from the block and head i could change them all but would like to just change what ti need just to get it started

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »
The coolant sensor is at the transmission end of engine at the back of block - warning in haynes manual not to confuse it with camshaft position sensor just below it - need to take off airbox.

PDF photo of Haynes manual page attached..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 06:46:09 PM »
The coolant sensor is at the transmission end of engine at the back of block - warning in haynes manual not to confuse it with camshaft position sensor just below it - need to take off airbox.

The op's car has the 1.5 VTEC engine, I'm not sure how similar it is to the i-DSI engine?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 09:43:34 PM »

The op's car has the 1.5 VTEC engine, I'm not sure how similar it is to the i-DSI engine?

Honda also produced a 1.5 litre I-Dsi 8 valve twin spark which I would suppose was a bored out 1.3.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 12:23:06 AM »
Honda also produced a 1.5 litre I-Dsi 8 valve twin spark which I would suppose was a bored out 1.3.

Not 100% on this, but I think all of the early Jazz/Fit 1.5 built for the Aus market were VTEC.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 07:07:28 AM »
I believe that was only available in cars for the Japanese market. It was a longer stroke version of the i-DSi engines available here.

Sensor for the 1.5 engine appears to be fitted to the water pump mounting, the same as on the other L series engines.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:13:29 AM by Jocko »

guest7946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 09:23:55 AM »
 ;D ;D Woo Hoo its running after all that mucking around pulled it apart ready to change the sender and found out i put the plug on but the little clip that holds the connection on was broken and the plug had came off just enough to not send signal it looked as it was connected but alas no

so used the spare plug and all good starts and runs like a dream

so thanks to everyone's help its been a struggle for me not to good with all this efi vti stuff
50 yrs old give me a carby and points any day lol

I cant express how great full I am to you all and your help-fullness

Cheers Wayne

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 10:22:28 AM »
give me a carby and points any day
Me too, Wayne. At 70 years old all this electronics just spoils working on cars for me. I like to be able to look at a thing and tell if it is broke or not!
So well done, and don't go leaving us now your car is going. We welcome the perspective from "down under".

guest7946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 12:23:14 PM »
No chance  of leaving i havent found a Assie forum yet lol no love this forum helpfull freindly

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 06:11:15 PM »
;D ;D Woo Hoo its running

Great stuff!  8)

Always nice to hear a success story  :)

guest7946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 08:17:29 AM »