Author Topic: Honda Approved Used Cars - Multi Point Check Sheet  (Read 3421 times)

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
Honda Approved Used Cars - Multi Point Check Sheet
« on: July 22, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
Well I guess they took longer to put a tick in all those boxes than it took to actually check the car.

After 14 months and doing around just 1000 miles after purchase the front brakes were binding on a short outward journey; lifting off to normal on the way back. So I dropped it in to my mate who owns a local garage. Very reliable guy who has been looking after up to 5 cars in the family for around 40 years, and only does what's necessary.

Rang me and said I needed new pads and disks. A bit surprised as I couldn't have worn down good ones in 1K miles as I'm very light on the brakes with my driving.

Collected the car and he showed me the old ones. A 4mm ridge on the disks and the pads were within just a few thou of the warning strip. Edges of the pads rubbing on the ridge of the disks. So definitely needed doing.

So basically the Honda Approved Used Cars -  Multi Point Check is a complete waste of time. I do realise that the car sales and workshop are different sections of the company and car sales try not to spend any money on sales cars but it's a bit of a poor show when they don't start you off on good brake pads and disks.

Of course it was out of the years warranty after 14 months and I don't have it serviced at that main dealer as it's 15 miles away and my mate is just a few hundred yards away, and a lot cheaper, so no comeback on the main dealer.

Just a warning to anyone who thinks that they actually check the items in all those ticked boxes.

Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Honda Approved Used Cars - Multi Point Check Sheet
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 10:27:21 AM »
I think the 'check boxes' can be a failure point for an garage.
The best solution is to have a 'friendly' guy who knows his stuff and who you can trust.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

MikeG1944

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 10:49:14 AM »
Guess they like to see all the inspected boxes ticked; but if something needs doing at least they should do it.

Yes, I'm lucky to have a good mate who knows his stuff; when he used to sell cars himself he was always sure to do anything like that which needed doing; otherwise it comes back to bite your bum. Main dealers don't seem to bother it seems.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 11:19:42 AM »
From my experience of these checklists I would guess that the showroom receptionist does them in her spare time.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »
I am sorry that the problem of which I have complained frequently, did not just apply to me.Within a week I kicked up about the brakes on our 2010 and they were seen to. Months later after trying to get some sense out of Honda, they Honda had the audacity to tell me that the brakes had been rectified a s a gesture of goodwill. So it is quite obvious that Honda are aware of what is going on. Our car had a two year Honda extended warranty. It was only because I took the precaution of having the car put through an MOT brake test that got something done. After all brakes are a wear and tear item!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO! the car should be right before it is sold and that includes 'piggin' brakes.
I too took our car to a local bloke after the so called two year free servicing had expired. Incidentally after nearly three years the discs hardly show any wear both back and front and the pads are , seemingly hardly worn.
Is it not time that the Main dealer  s/h car industry stopped it's bomb site sales techniques?

MikeG1944

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 11:40:57 AM »
Not just me then Auntyneddy. They sell cars on this pretence that everything will be hunky-dory when you take it out of the main dealer. Implying a special Honda service that many sales companies do not do, and implying that anything that needs doing will be done. I guess some of us a naive enough to believe it.

We have a local car sales place where I would never buy from as they will send out cars in a very poor state and then try to get out of doing anything that fails, but this main dealer who I know I thought was a bit better than that. I had had another car off them many years before and that was fine. Guess it's a bit of a lottery.

I didn't think of taking it to my mate to have it checked over when I bought it as it ran fine and had no problems. And had not thought of getting on my hands and knees (not easy with arthritis) to check the brake disks and pads. Oh well it's all fixed now.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »
I remember many years ago when I bought my first car, a Hillman Imp, the sales place said they would have an MOT done on the car. Good selling point I thought.
Got the car home and being keen started to go round checking oil, water, tyres etc.
Decided to take the rear drums off and check shoes etc. Both brake pistons had seized!!!!!!!! obviously the car had not left the forecourt to go to the MOT garage.
So a phone call was made, bring it back sir and we will fix it for you.
My reply was it's not safe to drive you will have to collect it, which they did, and bought it back.
Needless to say the wheels were off and their work inspected.
If that had been today I would have been in touch with trading standards and two business would have been in the gaga.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

guest1372

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 01:11:05 PM »
The nub of the problem is there is no money to be made in car retailing.

Family friends had a single location / single marque franchise, were forced to move to a new shiny metal & plate glass box, but with margins on sales at just a couple of hundred were eventually forced to hand over the franchise (encouraged by the UK agent) to a multi-marque national Plc (sometimes mentioned on here) in exchange for clearing the debt and two salaried positions.  It's all the supporting operations that cost: HR, training, marketing, financial control etc. and economies of scale are required to support full time employees in those areas.  Only the national multi-franchise dealers can strike the sort of deals necessary to return a margin, most of that is payments for 'marketing support', and a multi-marque operation is needed to counter the ebb and flow inherent in each manufacturers desire for market share.

They remain a great source of insider knowledge and resource, but are somewhat hamstrung by the Plc operation these days.

Even a 1000 point checklist won't disguise the fact that used car sales is about external appearance; money is spent on smart repairs, refurbishing alloys and deep clean valeting.  If it's not visible it's not touched.  No one will buy a mechanically perfect car that is dirty.  Any issues discovered by the new owner can be rectified but there is not the time/expense to go over the car except for a very cursory external walkaround 'checklist'.
--
TG

MikeG1944

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 01:19:22 PM »
Thanks for the explanation TG. I must say it was remarkably clean, polished and spotless under the bonnet.

So the checklist is a total waste of time and in fact a little deceiving.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 05:11:29 PM »
If you guys that buy new or nearly new cars from Main Dealers just told them you were unhappy and will never buy another car from them (and stuck to that promise), things would maybe change. If I go to a shop, and buy something that's passed its sell by date I would complain to the manager, and never shop there again. The choice is yours.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 07:34:18 PM »
Well I guess they took longer to put a tick in all those boxes than it took to actually check the car.

After 14 months and doing around just 1000 miles after purchase the front brakes were binding on a short outward journey; lifting off to normal on the way back. So I dropped it in to my mate who owns a local garage. Very reliable guy who has been looking after up to 5 cars in the family for around 40 years, and only does what's necessary.

Rang me and said I needed new pads and disks. A bit surprised as I couldn't have worn down good ones in 1K miles as I'm very light on the brakes with my driving.

Collected the car and he showed me the old ones. A 4mm ridge on the disks and the pads were within just a few thou of the warning strip. Edges of the pads rubbing on the ridge of the disks. So definitely needed doing.

So basically the Honda Approved Used Cars -  Multi Point Check is a complete waste of time.
Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008

1000 miles and 14 months is less than 2.5 miles per day. Which is not enough to warm the engine up let alone clean the brake disks from rust. As they are unpainted steel they will rust and such a low mileage is insufficient to clear all the rust away.. hence the state of the disks.

I suggest you are being unfair to the scheme.

MikeG1944

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 08:02:34 PM »
Hi Madasafish; I don't do 2.5 miles a day, trips vary and some days I don't need use it. I can't believe you're saying short runs are going to cause a good disk to wear down to a 4mm ridge and break pads to within a few thou of the warning strip because of that. It must have been very close to those measurements when I bought it. Guess they thought it would do a few thou more so didn't bother to replace them. At least it had two new tyres on the front and two almost brand new ones on the back.

The reason for only short mileage per year is that I need the car for my partial disablement, can't walk far, so have it for convenience in my retirement; very pleased with it actually, reliable and good mileage even on short runs, and being auto, no clutch strain on my dodgy leg.

guest5079

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 02:30:06 PM »
Whilst Madasafish has a point, the low mileage would not account for the wear!  I am sorry to come down hard on what is based on my experiences. Whilst, I left the garage trade in the very late sixties, I still have a basic idea of what is right and wrong. Now, I admit,  I am completely lost on all the magic bits. In my day, wooden pistons, brake seals fitted the wrong way round etc were the sort of thing that came from the bomb site boys. An example, a chap came into the garage with an S2 Bentley. Asked if we would be interested in doing the servicing. We replied, never dealt with a Bentley before. His reply, when can I book it in. When asked why, his reply, you have been honest, I am fed up with being taken for a ride by a main dealer!!!!!!!! This was 1969! At the end of the day, the Bentley was no different to a mini just a damn site better put together.
When these dealers buy in cars they take into consideration  what needs doing.
In my case, the car was off to the auction had I not come along. They would have therefore taken a pretty big hit. As to the check sheet, the spare wheel box was ticked when even a rookie Honda mechanic should have known  a spare wheel was not fitted and the tyre gunge was well out of date.
As a two year warranty was given I expected some form of service when I had a problem. So much for, 'any problems bring it back and we will sort them'. In your dreams. There are bad dealers and good ones, it is a lottery but the sad thing is when the manufacturer is made aware of problems they don't want to know, just referring you back to the very dealer of which you complained.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 09:24:33 PM »
My daughter bought a Mini from our local Honda dealer who gave it a 12 month warranty. It had a few problems which were progressively fixed. For one problem (it might have been the water pump) they had to take it to the Mini dealer (conveniently next door) which would have cost them. The Mini has behaved itself since then. The initial problems were probably related to it being very low mileage for its age which the dealer might have been wise enough to factor into the price.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: