Author Topic: Radiator matrix failing due to exposure / AC matrix still fine  (Read 3373 times)

guest1372

Radiator matrix failing due to exposure / AC matrix still fine
« on: November 09, 2015, 06:38:34 PM »
Thought this might be worth bringing up again, especially for anyone giving a GD the once over before buying.

Although my radiator still functions and shows no signs of leaks, the core in the vulnerable bottom 1/4 has lost most of it's cooling fins in the last 18 months, previously it was delicate, now it looks 'pretty vacant'. Probably most of it disappeared when it got jet-washed (not by me). The AC matrix still looks perfect.

My guess is a stone could lead to sudden coolant loss, so a new one seems in order.

Worth checking next time you are washing the car, or if you are a going to purchase one.
--
TG

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
Re: Radiator matrix failing due to exposure / AC matrix still fine
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 08:24:59 PM »
holy crap  :o  never seen anything like that, i cant believe a jet wash could have done that

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:41:56 PM »
Good point. When I bought my GD I noticed that the radiator has rotted quite a bit and its in my agenda to replace it within the next year.
Question. . Have you replaced yours?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 09:48:37 PM »
holy crap  :o  never seen anything like that, i cant believe a jet wash could have done that

That's exactly the sort of thing a jetwash will do - don't forget high pressure water will cut through solid steel - If you love your car never take a jetwash near it - normal pressure tap water hose ( 30 to 50 PSI) will do just fine.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 11:55:08 PM »
i do use a jet wash at the garage but i never go in too close and my radiator is still perfect as i dont hold it over the same spot for long, i just never seen a radiator that far gone

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 03:16:10 PM »
Good point. When I bought my GD I noticed that the radiator has rotted quite a bit and its in my agenda to replace it within the next year.
Question. . Have you replaced yours?
Not yet but it seems risky to wait too long, so as backup have put a 4 pint container of water in the boot, then hopefully if it does fail, I can drive from tap to tap until I get home. New pattern part should be about £40 and it seems to be available in two different shapes.

There is a thread about fitting one with steps by Bill888. http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=5093.msg22260#msg22260
--
TG

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 03:31:42 PM »
In days of Yor,  the matrix was made of copper. I believe now they are made of aluminium, which all the time it is covered with paint is fine BUT with a drop of good old 'Water Company' water, the bare aluminium  will dissolve  quite quickly. Plus the problem of acid rain being rammed through as we drive along.
The more learned amongst us might  confirm the benefit of keeping paint on the rad fins. NOT TOO much for obvious reasons. .
I am suspicious of our good clean water after doing some plumbing and seeing the condition of the pipe, which a plumber informed me was purely the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!causing corrosion.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 06:27:31 PM »
Nothing wrong with aluminium, after all they make aeroplanes and boats out of it and sometimes don't paint them - pure aluminium is one of the best corrosion resistant metals (your steel exhaust pipe is coated with aluminium),  but when it gets alloyed (for instance with copper to form duralumin) it can corrode because it is alloyed with another material.  Water companies prefer hard water (lots of calcium) as it doesn't rot their systems anywhere near as much as soft (acidic) water.  Problem with most metals including copper is that if it is next to another material you get electrolytic corrosion (they form a battery) when water is present.

I have never seen a radiator do that on any car I have had,  but never use jetwash.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything