Author Topic: Brake pad life  (Read 4061 times)

bill888

• Approved Member
Brake pad life
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:59:17 PM »
A friend owns a 2006 Jazz cvt and noticed over the weekend the front brakes were making screeching noise for first few minutes.  Pressing the brake pedal stopped the noise.

His local honda dealer confirmed he needed new front brake pads.  At least one of the pads was virtually down to bare metal when the garage showed him the old pads.

The car is only 2.5 years old and clocked just over 17k miles in mainly in-town driving.  Suffice to say he is disappointed with the short life of the brake pads when compared to other automatics he has owned in the past.

Looking at the owner comments published on 'What Car' website. I notice some owners quoting average 25k miles (manual model?) and one CVT owner quoting 18k miles.

I have noticed too the front pads are a lot smaller and thinner than those fitted to an old Civic I used to own.  The Civic pads still had almost 4mm of lining on them after 35k miles.

Obviously, actual life of brake pads depends on how you drive the car and what it is used for (in-town, long distance), but I was wondering whether other Jazz owners have any experience with front brake pad life on their cars?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:06:09 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Brake pad life
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 04:10:54 PM »
I have a 2007 Jazz manual and with only 8000 miles approx. brake pad wear seems to be ok so far

At the last service nothing was mentioned

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 03:13:01 PM »
We have had 3 Jazz model 1 man 2 were CVT over 4 years the av fr pad life was around 20k the same as the fr tyres.
Slightly more wear on the CVT models [its all about the driver behind the wheel]

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 03:26:40 PM »
cvt's will tend to have greater brake pad wear due to the need to use the brakes more often to slow down etc.

guest745

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
Hi

We have run our Jazz CVT for over 5 years and 57k miles. We drive gently and two thirds of mileage is out of town (17 mile commutes each way).

Our experience is 25k between pads, so if the car has done a lot of town driving I think 18k sounds quite respectable - just don't get fleeced by the Honda dealer for the replacements.

As a comparison, my OLD 'proper' Mercedes does about 11k between changes - and that's used out of town for weekend trips and holidays only. Still - its twice the weight - and half the mpg !

Wonder what the pad life will be like with an iShift - LOL

Tags:

anything