Author Topic: Family holiday to France in Jazz  (Read 2173 times)

dave12335

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Family holiday to France in Jazz
« on: May 29, 2019, 09:30:42 PM »
Hi all

I gotta say I really love our Jazz. 07 plate with 40k miles on the clock. No trouble really, just tyres, exhaust, plugs etc in the last couple of years. It’s a great low mileage car for us.

I’m planning a 600 mile trip to Brittany for our family of five this summer (kids still fit in the back just!). Would you do any particular checks beforehand ? Other than all the usual stuff for long trips in any car.

Also, do you guys fork out on roadside recovery Including European cover ? A search came back with a fairly high price.

Cheers !

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Family holiday to France in Jazz
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 10:48:26 PM »
I think I would trust the Jazz to go round the world. I normally throw a few tools in, tyre pump, OBD reader, a bottle of water and a litre of oil, working on the principle that if I have it, I won't need it.

It's also worth checking the local regulations for the things you need to carry by law in all the countries you will drive through.

I swear by AutoAid for breakdown cover, but it's UK only cover. However, they also do Europe cover, on annual or short policies. Don't know if they work out competitive or not?

https://eurorescue.co.uk

Jimster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 SE
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 02:44:20 PM »
I'd second eurorescue. Bought a couple of times now for trips to Europe and seems pretty good value for short term cover. Never had to use it, but having once been stuck just outside Calais over New year's bank holiday with a broken throttle cable, I vowed I'd never travel without it again!

You'll need to get some headlight deflectors too if driving at night, which you're supposed to fit but know many don't bother. Also by law you should carry a single use breatherliser, replacement bulb kit, hi-viz jacket and your v5 reg. doc and insurance certificate - just in case you get pulled over!

Don't forget you may need to pay extra for equivalent insurance cover when driving abroad. Many policies will only cover third party abroad unless you pay extra to top it back up to fully comp.

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 03:50:09 PM »
Good info. Thanks. Any idea where to source headlight deflectors from. Tape used to be fine on old flat headlights with marked areas on the glass.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 04:50:43 PM »
Good info. Thanks. Any idea where to source headlight deflectors from. Tape used to be fine on old flat headlights with marked areas on the glass.

https://www.headlampconverters.co.uk

This company does a travel kit with hi vis vests, spare bulbs warning triangle etc.

You can get fined if you don't have the stuff in that kit in the car..

You may also need an emissions sticker for car if you want to go into cities - I believe you get fined if you don't have it.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/law-change-for-uk-drivers-in-french-cities/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:56:37 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

dave12335

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 06:13:15 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.

It’s a good point on the car insurance. I checked my account online with Aviva and clicked through for a quote including foreign cover and it came back for free !

Eurorescue costs £39 which sounded good, but it costs £69 for a 10+ year old car, so a bit more than I want to pay for what the policy covers. Friends are travelling with us and we know a few people in France so will probably risk it.

Thanks all.

guest4871

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 07:04:28 PM »
Do just double check with Aviva by telephone that the cover is as you have in UK and not just basic Third Party cover which does normally come free for EU countries anyway.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 08:28:29 PM »
Hi.
Please feel free to take a look at our breakdown offering if you wish.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/breakdown/
Regards,
Dan.

tomreys

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Jazz
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 10:37:42 PM »
Warning - DO NOT put those headlamp stickers on, the light output will be seriously limited + That crap can damage your headlights ( too much heatup due to them)!

I wouldn't worry about that distance with a Jazz, I have travelled all over europe with mine often 4000-6000 mile trips with 0 problems and mine isn't as fresh as yours...

Hebden

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 07:00:59 AM »
The Crit Air certificate is easily obtained and probably costs under £4 including postage. Some of the website is in English.Do not be fooled by commercial sites charging large sums.

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/demande-ext/cgu

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 09:58:06 AM »
Warning - DO NOT put those headlamp stickers on, the light output will be seriously limited + That crap can damage your headlights ( too much heatup due to them)!

I agree that the stickers are rubbish, but if you intend driving at night, surely you can't go round blinding everyone coming the other way. What if you one of them happens to be the Gendarmerie?

Genuine question, I'm not trying to be awkward!  ;)

Tags: