Author Topic: sump nut and washer  (Read 12639 times)

guest809

Re: sump nut and washer
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 10:29:20 AM »
I am about to do an oil change on ours so if you want to wait a while I will report back.

But I do tend to agree with other contributors that if you think you have a problem it might be better on this occasion to let a garage do it and then it is their problem if they break anything. Besides, they are not lying on their backs trying to remember which way is up!!

guest895

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »
Having been a mechanic for 40 odd years if you are not sure which way to undo a sump plug maybe leave it to the professionals.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 08:02:05 AM »
Had a discussion this morning with the wife about this and she agreed turn towards the passengers door.  We then got the nut and went through it and she again said it was the passengers door.  I advised that with the spanner pointing down it would be towards the drivers door but she said it would be correct to say the orientation would be towards the passengers door.
Don't get into an argument with my wife! :P

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 10:13:28 AM »
Ok so if you have the spanner on the sump nut pointing towards the front of the car turning it towards the drivers door will undo it

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »
It may be easier for you to hold the spanner on the sump plug and get four friends to turn the car anti-clockwise.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 06:44:56 PM »
I have recently changed my oil and the sump plug was tight. A spanner was of little use and I used a socket and breaker bar and even then it took a bit of doing.

My advice is if you do not know which way to turn the plug to undo it then leave it to a garage.

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 06:46:10 PM »
It may be easier for you to hold the spanner on the sump plug and get four friends to turn the car anti-clockwise.

Hehehehehe!

Seriously, try one of these!

It's the way to get sump oil out of a Mercedes 'A' Class!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:02:37 PM by Geoffers »

guest809

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 09:30:11 PM »
OK here's the deal.

The sump nut is indeed at the back of the sump not, as I originally thought, underneath the sump. It is 17mm.

You undo it anti clockwise and if your spanner is below the sump (think 6 O'Clock on a clock face) you push towards the driver's door (in the UK!!) to undo.

Now you get a free tip which I discovered the hard way.

Unlike most filters, the seal does not simply sit on the face of the filter it actually fits very neatly into a lip on the filter. You know it is sitting properly when you wave the filter about and the seal stays in place. Note too that it is important to get the seal the right way round so have a look which way it is facing before you mess with it.

If like me you were taught to lubricate the seal lightly with oil before fitting the filter make sure the seal stays in place. I clumsily disturbed it which meant I had a nice dripping noise on the floor when I started the car.

Not life threatening but I had to take the filter off and reposition the seal before refitting.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 08:49:44 PM »
Altmar, good point about the UK and thanks for the hints.
Well i tried it on Saturday but there was no way the nut was undoing. >:(  My concern here is that with all the comments about over tightening it, this may have already been done and the sump could be damaged.  I might try the pump idea at £9.99 from Halfords this may do http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_567061_langId_-1_categoryId_165469#dtab. At least i wont have to worry about nuts and washers.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 03:40:34 PM »
Just to affirm a previous point,  warm up the engine fully before undoing the sump plug, as the aluminium sump shrinks more than steel and grips the steel plug as the engine cools down. It is good practice to do this anyway as you get the oil out faster and you also get more of the dirt out with the oil, as the oil settles and cools the suspended dirt falls to the bottom of the sump and may not be drained out fully.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 08:14:04 AM »
Just to bring you all up to date and draw a close to this thread,

I brought a silverline 4l pump to extract it from the dip stick tube.  Unfortunately you can not get the supplied tubes down far enough as I could not get it past the bend.

Brought a 16" breaker bar and then tried again, hey presto the nut has come undone!

The head was totally knackered and upon removing it the washer is not much better and looks as though it could have been on so tight that it curved into the hole.  It was also impossible to remove this from the nut.  Just as well i had the replacement from Honda for I think £4 approx for the nut and washer.

Thank you all for your comments and apparently Smart, Mercs and BMW's use the pumps to extract the oil.

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 09:55:46 AM »
So do Quickfit I'm told........i haven't had it done but it is a good idea if you like the Quickfit oil and filter they use..........or can you choose your oil and take your own filter ?
A messy job at home then there is the correct disposal of the oil.......!!!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 10:09:36 AM »
Personally I am a bit sceptical that 'the pump' reaches right to the bottom of the sump and will remove all the old oil, at least when you remove the sump plug the oil at the bottom of the sump (where all the nasty bits collect) is the first to come out!

Local council 'enviromental dumping centre' are more than happy to take old oil and batteries.

Tags:

anything