Author Topic: Air Filter Replacement - Is It Worth Buying A Genuine Honda Filter ?  (Read 3469 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Air Filter Replacement - Is It Worth Buying A Genuine Honda Filter ?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 02:09:11 PM »
I fitted one of these last time, I can recommend them - much better quality than the one that came out - I don't remember the name on the one that came out, but it was a common factor brand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omnicraft-Air-Filter-For-Honda-Jazz-Fit-1-3-iDSi-2133117/273374545034

Omnicraft are Ford's aftermarket brand, like Motorcraft of old.
Thanks for the recommendation. Never heard of Omnicraft. Their filter is a quid dearer for my Jazz, but on the 'watch' list for future reference as it's cheaper than Bosch. :D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 04:40:48 PM »
Yes, I've got that chart in the handbook, but the page is headed "Maintenance Schedule (Except EU)" (no jokes please!). If you notice, it also says change the fuel filter every 50,000.

On the previous page, it says refer to the separate service information booklet that came with your vehicle. Anyway, that's what it states in the service book, every 25,000, or 12,500 for severe conditions. That's the interval on the check sheet that Honda dealers use too.
As I said, I don't have the service book to hand, and I have always serviced cars and bikes to my own schedule. I change my engine oil every year, whether it needs it or not, and I would never change a fuel filter these days, not in the UK and with the newer tanks.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2021, 10:19:00 PM »
As I said, I don't have the service book to hand, and I have always serviced cars and bikes to my own schedule. I change my engine oil every year, whether it needs it or not, and I would never change a fuel filter these days, not in the UK and with the newer tanks.

That's pretty much what I do, after all it's only for my own benefit - scrapyard isn't bothered about service history. Fuel filters on petrol cars are now much bigger than the little inline things they used to fit near the carb, they must be big enough to last the car out.

I did change the petrol Galaxy fuel filter at 100K, because it was on the schedule, and relatively easy to do. It was about the size of a jam jar, and out of interest, I cut it open and there was hardly anything in it - it would probably have lasted another 500K. I do change diesel fuel filters on the dot though, but even those don't get as mucky as they used to.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 07:00:51 AM »
I do change diesel fuel filters on the dot though, but even those don't get as mucky as they used to.
Diesel filters are a different thing and are usually easy to get at. The work involved in changing the Jazz filter is designed to swell the coffers of Honda service departments.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 09:15:16 AM »
Diesel filters are a different thing and are usually easy to get at.

You would think so, you want to look at that thing I've got. The diesel filter housing is in front of the rear axle, tucked up under the back seat, and covered by a large plastic undertray which has about a dozen fastenings. It's a right palaver to get to.

Don't get me started on where the oil filter is!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2021, 11:06:09 AM »
Diesel filters are a different thing and are usually easy to get at.

You would think so, you want to look at that thing I've got. The diesel filter housing is in front of the rear axle, tucked up under the back seat, and covered by a large plastic undertray which has about a dozen fastenings. It's a right palaver to get to.

Under the front wheelarch behind the plastic shield?

(Renault or Vauxhall ?)

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2021, 11:08:31 AM »

Is that the Insignia or Kia?

Drive me nuts when service items are made so inaccessible. On our Octi VRS 2.0 Turbo, the air filter is contained within the engine cover and a right palaver to get replace. Half hour job instead of 2 minutes.  :(

The oil filter, as is the modern vag way, is a paper element in a plastic housing. The filter is at the top of the engine, so oil just leaks out down the engine when you do a change? WTF was going on with that?

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 11:10:13 AM by Westy36 »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2021, 12:28:48 PM »
Is that the Insignia or Kia?

Insignia. The oil filter is tucked up inside the offside wheel arch, a paper cartridge housing that sticks out of the back of the block, directly above the driveshaft and wishbone. You have to remove the wheel, you can then see half of it, and then you can't get a socket on it (36mm) without extensions and a knuckle joint.

You have to fabricate a cardboard gutter to funnel the oil away from the filter housing, or it runs all over the driveshaft, wishbone and floor.

Grrr!  >:(

Tags:

anything