Author Topic: MPG for those interested.  (Read 172819 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: MPG for those interested.
« Reply #270 on: December 26, 2018, 08:21:26 PM »
According to Honest John Honda in general are one of the closest to true MPG with their claimed MPG. Some makers tell proper porkies with their astronomical claims......

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/real-mpg/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #271 on: December 27, 2018, 10:44:49 AM »
Just got back from a trip to see my Dad. 424 miles, mostly motorway at ~60mph with cruise control. Also mostly at night so headlights on. Two bars and a claimed 54 miles left according to the dash display. 33 litres put in.

Just over 58mpg.

Great figures. My record is a tad over 56 in my Mk2. In summer that 58 might well have been 60.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #272 on: December 27, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
Just got back from a trip to see my Dad. 424 miles, mostly motorway at ~60mph with cruise control. Also mostly at night so headlights on. Two bars and a claimed 54 miles left according to the dash display. 33 litres put in.

Just over 58mpg.

Great figures. My record is a tad over 56 in my Mk2. In summer that 58 might well have been 60.
Oh I did better than that once :)

If I remember correctly toward the end of some roadworks on the M6 the dash displayed 79.8mpg. I was probably the only driver wishing the 50mph limit continued for a couple more miles :)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #273 on: January 03, 2019, 03:00:30 PM »
Just had my lowest mpg figures for over 2 years - 33.8 mpg (36.1 on computer). Lots of very short journeys and, of course, the cold. Average speed of 13 mph shows how stop start in the cold destroys mpg on any car.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #274 on: January 03, 2019, 03:18:56 PM »
Just had my lowest mpg figures for over 2 years - 33.8 mpg (36.1 on computer). Lots of very short journeys and, of course, the cold. Average speed of 13 mph shows how stop start in the cold destroys mpg on any car.
Temperature is an interesting one. I've no recorded figures to back this up but it seems like the Mk3 is more sensitive to temperature (or at least environmental) changes than previous models. From what I recall my previous two Jazz (Mk1, Mk2) varied by only a couple of MPG. I think the Mk2 was ~51mpg in summer, and ~49mpg in winter. My Mk3 is ~56mpg in summer and ~50mpg in winter.

I don't have any recorded figures to back this up however. It's just a feeling and is based off the dashboard display rather than fill-to-fill figures.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:27:36 PM by andruec »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #275 on: January 04, 2019, 09:44:43 PM »
Temperature is an interesting one. I've no recorded figures to back this up but it seems like the Mk3 is more sensitive to temperature (or at least environmental) changes than previous models. From what I recall my previous two Jazz (Mk1, Mk2) varied by only a couple of MPG. I think the Mk2 was ~51mpg in summer, and ~49mpg in winter. My Mk3 is ~56mpg in summer and ~50mpg in winter.
[/quote]
Seven years ago I posted these figures.  I must have a look at how the Mk 3 compares.
"Taking winter as October to March inclusive, and based on total fuel bought and total mileage over 3+ years, I find the winter average for a 1.4 ES manual is 46.8 mpg over 14777 miles, with the summer giving 49.3 mpg over 14481 miles.  Overall average 48.0 mpg"

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #276 on: January 04, 2019, 10:19:21 PM »
Put the trip mpg on the touchscreen display and watch it increase as the engine warms up. I reckon that my HR-V takes about 10 miles to properly warm up in cold weather. Thermostatically controlled louvres on the front of the engine compartment would improve the cold weather performance but manufacturers will have no incentive to provide these or other measures to shorten the warm-up period unless cold starts are part of the standard economy tests. If the conditions permit (ie no window demist need) I leave the cabin heating off for the first couple of miles so that water in the engine can warm up a bit faster.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #277 on: January 04, 2019, 10:27:17 PM »
Put the trip mpg on the touchscreen display and watch it increase as the engine warms up. I reckon that my HR-V takes about 10 miles to properly warm up in cold weather.
Sounds about right. My commute is ~12 miles and the MPG display doesn't start to 'recover' after a cold start until I'm within a couple of miles of my destination.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #278 on: January 05, 2019, 11:23:16 AM »
I've got a voltage display from the cigarette socket and what I do notice in the colder weather is that the voltage stays up around 14.2v much more of the time compared when it's warm outside, and when it's
warm it'll indicate the batteries voltage more often. Extra power will be needed, which might help explain some of the reduced mpg in colder weather.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #279 on: January 05, 2019, 03:17:52 PM »
I've now compared winter and summer consumption in my nearly 3yr-old Mk 3.  In 18 summer months I covered 15991 miles using 1391 litres, giving 52.3 mpg.  In 16 winter months I covered 13276 miles using 1193 litres, giving 50.6 mpg, about 3% lower.  This compares with a difference of 5% in the Mk 2, but I don't think this is significant based on a sample of only one user!  It is clear however that the MK 3 is more economical overall, as reported by many users.

Jeangenie

• Approved Member
« Reply #280 on: February 14, 2019, 09:40:38 AM »
First fill up with my new Jazz Sport and it managed 38.7 mpg. Better than my Fiesta which rarely bettered 36.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #281 on: February 14, 2019, 10:10:57 AM »
I would have hoped for a bit better than that, even with the 1.5L engine. Mind you, the fact it is brand new, with the tyres barely having the pimples rubbed off, and your daily commute into and out of the city, probably not a bad figure.
Is that calculated or from the dashboard display?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #282 on: February 14, 2019, 11:12:22 AM »
On mpg more generally I asked my neighbour what he gets out of his Mk3 Jazz (67 plate, 1.3 CVT EX) and he is delighted that he gets an indicated 35 (32 ish probably in real life). Seems bad but he got 30 out of his Civic and 26 out a Focus 1.8 that he had before that. His driving profile is even more short distance and town/stop/start that mine. He almost never drives more than 5 miles and a typical trip is to Sainsburys - about 4 miles return in heavyish traffic. Unlike me he never does the occasional longer trip.

Driving style is very important but the type of journey is the overwhelming factor. If, like me and my neighbour, your car rarely gets to full operating temperature, the mpg will be crap whatever you drive.

Ironically, EVs thrive on the type of motoring that destroys mpg in ICE cars because of the low speeds and regen braking.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #283 on: February 14, 2019, 11:48:01 AM »
Any one got any real world, real measurement comparison of the latest 1.5 non-Atkinson with the 1.3 Atkinson?

Jeangenie

• Approved Member
« Reply #284 on: February 14, 2019, 02:37:15 PM »
I do 50 miles a day to and from Edinburgh so the car gets pretty hot. The mpg figure is from the display. I never bother working the numbers out. I have to do the miles so I have to use the petrol and the dashboard display is near enough for my curiosity.

Tags: