Author Topic: UK new car sales  (Read 8882 times)

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
Re: UK new car sales
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 06:01:49 PM »

I just finished a book titled 'Cold' by Ranulph Feinnes about his many polar and mountain expeditions and apparently they exist almost exclusively for many months on 'Ghee' (clarified butterfat) as it is the highest energy content lowest weight food.  The cholesterol of expedition members actually went down during expeditions to remarkably low levels (<3) -  seems the problem may be lack of exercise rather than fat in the diet (which is preferable to sugar anyway).

No question about it in my mind. You only have to look at photos of generations gone by and there were many more skinny folk around then. Life was far more labour intensive and they didn't consume the quantitities of junk available today. The human body was designed to wear out and not rust out.

PS - I think the reference to 'rust' qualifies as a toehold on topicality. 

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2018, 07:28:31 PM »
Honda trailing Kia, Hyundai, Volvo, Seat and Skoda, but ahead of Mazda, Citroen and Fiat. Note that Suzuki is far closer to Honda than most expected. VW overtakes Vauxhall as the No.2 brand - it's sales drop is equivalent to Honda's total UK sales.

I see Peugeot and Renault are being trounced by the Koreans.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/uk-2017-car-sales-analysis-winners-and-losers/

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2018, 07:38:20 PM »
Honda trailing Kia, Hyundai, Volvo, Seat and Skoda, but ahead of Mazda, Citroen and Fiat. Note that Suzuki is far closer to Honda than most expected. VW overtakes Vauxhall as the No.2 brand - it's sales drop is equivalent to Honda's total UK sales.

I see Peugeot and Renault are being trounced by the Koreans.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/uk-2017-car-sales-analysis-winners-and-losers/

Suzuki make great motorbike engines and have brought out some attractive car models at a great price in last few years, they have a tie up with maruti ?? In India where some models (definitely the Swift) are made.

Just looked at global car sales 2017 and Honda on fourth place behind VW, Toyota and Ford (sales of car or ' light vehicles' as they call them) and just ahead of Nissan.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:57:38 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 06:16:14 AM »
Is this report on the BBC news another nail in the coffin of diesel cars.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42615559
Appears "consumer confusion" is as much a factor as anything else.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 09:40:45 AM »

quote from BBC article....

Diesel vehicles produce the overwhelming majority of nitrogen oxide gases coming from roadside sources, leading to them being targeted by clean air campaigners.

But the cars are also generally more fuel-efficient than petrol cars and therefore produce less carbon dioxide.

That helps car companies to meet targets for reducing CO2, introduced to combat climate change

In other words, governments will sacrifice their local population to the well known health effects of the various oxides of nitrogen pumped out by Diesels to meet ' Co2 targets' - just shows how barmy and short sighted governments can be - and how 'targets' can skew peoples thinking,  whether they are for NHS or 'climate change'....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »

quote from BBC article....

Diesel vehicles produce the overwhelming majority of nitrogen oxide gases coming from roadside sources, leading to them being targeted by clean air campaigners.

But the cars are also generally more fuel-efficient than petrol cars and therefore produce less carbon dioxide.

That helps car companies to meet targets for reducing CO2, introduced to combat climate change

In other words, governments will sacrifice their local population to the well known health effects of the various oxides of nitrogen pumped out by Diesels to meet ' Co2 targets' - just shows how barmy and short sighted governments can be - and how 'targets' can skew peoples thinking,  whether they are for NHS or 'climate change'....

We could add electric cars  into the same thinking. Desperate attempts to meet CO2 targets which will make little real difference with an exploding world population. More people = more pollution.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 12:12:40 PM »
governments will sacrifice their local population to the well known health effects of the various oxides of nitrogen pumped out by Diesels to meet ' Co2 targets' - just shows how barmy and short sighted governments can be

I guess that view might depend whereabouts you happen to live.

guest4871

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 01:23:11 PM »
Well, in China increasing new car sales from 10 million to 25 million between 2008 and 2017 probably hasn't helped.

Going back another 10 years to 1998 new car sales in China were about 2 million. New car sales in China in 2020 are forecast to be 30 million.

The UK/ EU governments take us all for mugs with their CO2 "targets" (and make themselves look foolish).

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 02:12:58 PM »
China is the biggest market for EVs or New Energy Vehicles (NEVs) as they refer to them. This is driven by the fact they restrict sales of ICE vehicles for use in large cities. So don't be so quick to blame China when the West has been polluting the Earth with CO2 emissions for the past 100+ years.

http://www.ev-volumes.com/country/china/

guest4871

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 03:52:59 PM »
I am certainly not blaming China or anyone else. New car sales in China are only about ten times those of UK, pretty insignificant in CO2 production terms if you are a volcano.

The example is to demonstrate the humbug surrounding the subject, how stupid UK/ EU governments are and how they distort things.  Coal is another one. The idea of encouraging every Joe/ Jaq to buy diesel cars was barmy. Like EV's it is just another motor industry scam to try to get within unrealistic CO2 targets. Like stop/start - Honest John, last weekend, recommended that if the battery was getting flat you should drive more miles. Where is the energy saving/ environment benefit in that? Plus of course the new Range Rover EV which does over 100 mpg for 30 miles until it gets to do 17 mpg on its backup diesel (sorry, its a more environmentally friendly petrol) engine (It costs over £100,000 too).

And I thought, for a long while, we had given up on nuclear power as it was too environmentally unfriendly.

Someone is having a joke!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2018, 04:30:00 PM »
China is the biggest market for EVs or New Energy Vehicles (NEVs) as they refer to them. This is driven by the fact they restrict sales of ICE vehicles for use in large cities. So don't be so quick to blame China when the West has been polluting the Earth with CO2 emissions for the past 100+ years.

http://www.ev-volumes.com/country/china/

You can blame China, they continued to burn vast amounts of brown coal in open fires long after everyone else had stopped, for many years they were also commissioning a coal fired power station every week long after they started decommissioning them in the west.  Only recently has China started to go a bit green, and that is only because millions are dying due to pollution of every sort and air quality that is a bad as could ever get, car exhaust fumes were probably cleaner than the air that went in.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 06:34:00 PM »
I was talking about cars, not coal, but we burnt coal for 200+ years.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »
Plus of course the new Range Rover EV which does over 100 mpg for 30 miles until it gets to do 17 mpg on its backup diesel (sorry, its a more environmentally friendly petrol) engine (It costs over £100,000 too).

The Mitsubishi  Outlander PHEV,  BMW i8 etc. etc.  are all guilty of the same misrepresentation on the subject of mpg.  Claiming mpg that are unbelievable for a SUV / Sports car of about 140mpg,  the Mitsubishi carries a 500kg battery around that will take it all of 20 miles if you are lucky and drive like a nun - after that it is just a dead weight and you are lucky to get 30mpg.  Same with i8 claiming a 360bhp car that can go 0-60 in less than 5 seconds can get 140mpg - you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know there is some trickery and weasel words going on there.  The fact that they are allowed to claim it shows the weakness of the regulations,  mpg tests should be done over a few hundred miles at normal road and highway speeds without allowing for a recharge every 20 miles..

Problem is some people are uncritical enough in their thinking to take the makers claims at face value and you only have to convince a few % of the population who have more £'s in the bank than brain cells in their head to sell enough to make a nice profit thank you very much... The sad thing is the makers are allowed to make these claims in the first place - the wild west and snake oil springs to mind.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2018, 06:55:10 PM »

Coal burning produces a lot more CO2 and other nasty substances than burning petrol.  The fact is China ignored what the rest of the world was doing and decided to build around 1200 coal fired stations even after 2015.   Electric cars are p!ssing in the wind if your electricity to charge them is from coal fired stations.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/12/02/the-truth-about-china-2400-new-coal-plants-will-thwart-any-paris-cop21-pledges/

All that China will commit to, says the Adams report, is to continue to improve the energy efficiency of its economy as it grows – a goal it has long pursued, independent of global warming concerns. In doing so, China aims to increase its GDP along with its fossil fuel use, and by 2030 or so will depend on fossil fuels for 80% of its energy use, down from today’s 90%. When it reaches 80% 15 years hence, its energy makeup will largely resemble America’s today.

guest4871

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2018, 07:51:39 PM »

200 years ago UK population was 10 million. Now it is approaching 70 million. We burn coal.

In 1800 China's population was 300 million . Now it is approaching 1,400 million. They burn coal too.

You do the maths.

Tags:

anything