Author Topic: Installing Android Apps on your head unit  (Read 41732 times)

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Installing Android Apps on your head unit
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 02:42:35 PM »
Doug

Sygic. I followed the instructions on CMDroid.com, including putting the Sygic files in the root of a USB stick, but when I try to start Sygic it tries to download from Google Play and stops with an error. Can you advise what you did to avoid this?
No troubles also for me using Sygic on the Connect.
Put the folder Sygic in the main root of a USB stick (FAT32 filesystem, NTFS will not be read, and  it doesn't matter if the USB stick contains also other files like mp3 or txt),  and then install the app Sygic, it should see the folder immediately.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:45:18 PM by jazzaro »

guest7284

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 05:35:52 PM »
I have tried to add Google maps to my 2017 reg jazz. Using the two regular methods I have failed totally. cmdroid permissions won't install. I use LGMirrordrive to connect up and have gmaps ready on the phone front screen. A bit clunky but it works. Samsung car mode does not mirrorlink. What is the problem and what is the cure?

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 07:43:44 PM »
I have tried to add Google maps to my 2017 reg jazz. Using the two regular methods I have failed totally. cmdroid permissions won't install. I use LGMirrordrive to connect up and have gmaps ready on the phone front screen. A bit clunky but it works. Samsung car mode does not mirrorlink. What is the problem and what is the cure?
The problem is Honda/Pioneer not understanding the pace of change in the IT world and probably not giving a flying fig anyway. The version of Android that the infotainment unit runs on was obsolete before the car even went on sale.

Hardware manufacturers have never understood software and never given it the credit it deserves. To them it's an afterthought - something to be farmed out to the lowest bidder. There is so much more they could have done here. They could have produced something revolutionary something genuinely significant. Instead they shovelled out some barely functioning crap and pretty much forgot about it.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 08:32:22 PM »
Why is it not possible up upgrade the Android version with a download from the Android website, in the same manner as you would with Win8 to Win10? or have I completely misunderstood the problem.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 09:37:40 PM »
Why is it not possible up upgrade the Android version with a download from the Android website, in the same manner as you would with Win8 to Win10? or have I completely misunderstood the problem.
No, that's a reasonable question. The most likely reason we can't is because 'Android' comes in many flavours and is typically customised for the hardware it will run on. It may be possible to customise the current version in the same way and install that but I doubt it. Each major version of Android tends to be bigger and perform more tasks than the previous one. It's unlikely that the infotainment unit has enough memory or processing power to handle the current version. I'd be pretty sure that it was given just enough resources for what it was sold as with no spare capacity for anything else.

It's also likely that Honda/Pioneer have attempted to prevent that being done because..um they don't want us to. They'd probably argue that it could damage the infotainment unit or cause a malfunction that destroys the global ecosystem or some such drivel. It's not really in their interest to let us. They'd far rather sell us a new vehicle. Or maybe even they just don't give a damn and the easiest way for them is to make it such that there's nothing we can do so we won't bother them about it.

In way that's fair enough. We bought a car not a computer with wheels. But..it could have been a lot better than it was. They could have gone with better hardware, up to date software and produced a world leading infotainment experience that demonstrated they had their finger on the pulse of modern personal technology.

But they didn't. Maybe next time  :'(
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:41:31 PM by andruec »

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »

Have you initially done a factory reset before trying to install permissions? Have you look to see what build version you have? Is it 0F.95.**.** by any chance?

guest7238

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 02:10:07 PM »
Jazzaro

I saw your reply about installing Sygic. I'm still having problems. I uninstalled Sygic, then reinstalled it from the flash drive that also contains the Sygic files in the root directory, but when I try to run it I get a message that downloading from Google Play has failed, so it seems to be trying that rather than trying the flash drive. I must have something set wrong, but I have followed the settings instructions from CMDroid. I have successfully installed Google Maps, Spotify, the permissions app and ES file manager, so I know the theory in general.

I've also successfully installed Co-Pilot, so can manage without Sygic, but I hate being beaten! Waze also defeated me.

Jaggyjim

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 01:03:39 PM »
Jaggyjim

Its quite a long time since I installed Sygic on my previous Jazz but I do recall encountering a similar problem with the resource files. The way I eventually solved it was (using the apk file from CMDroid, which is a little different to the Google Play version) to install on an Android tablet (running 4.2 or thereabouts) and then copied all the relevant files and folders onto the Connect unit using ES File Explorer. I then ran the installation and instead of looking on Google Play for the resource files, it found them in-situ and the installation completed correctly.

Hope this helps....Like you I wasn't going to let it beat me!

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 11:44:34 AM »
Jaggyjim

Its quite a long time since I installed Sygic on my previous Jazz but I do recall encountering a similar problem with the resource files. The way I eventually solved it was (using the apk file from CMDroid, which is a little different to the Google Play version) to install on an Android tablet (running 4.2 or thereabouts) and then copied all the relevant files and folders onto the Connect unit using ES File Explorer. I then ran the installation and instead of looking on Google Play for the resource files, it found them in-situ and the installation completed correctly.

Hope this helps....Like you I wasn't going to let it beat me!
Really strange. I've just reinstalled all my apps (sygic, waze, fuelio) after the system update to RC6.1, and all is working fine. About Sygic, I've only reinstalled the app from another pendrive because the default usb stick, a samsung 16gb, is stably connected with it's plug inside the arm rest. 

guest7238

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 11:52:20 AM »
I think I may give up on Sygic after all, following another failed attempt to install it. Co-Pilot, also installed from CMDroid, meets my needs without having to have a pendrive in full time, and Google Maps is also good when I have plenty data on my phone to use it as a wifi hotspot. Does Sygic have any particular advantages over those two that would make it worthwhile persevering?

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »
I have not used Co-pilot myself but I have had a look at its website and it seems to be as good as Sygic or possibly even better. Google maps is useful when you need the most detailed and up to date traffic. So, as you are happy with Co-pilot use it as your default off line app and use Google maps as and  when its  traffic info capability is necessary.  So it is probably not worth persevering with Sygic.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 02:02:46 PM »
I have co-pilot on my phone and used it for quite a while. It's very good but occasionally tells you to 'keep left' instead of 'take the slip road' which caused me to drive five miles out of my way and get stuck in bad traffic around Cambridge last year. At this point it tells you to keep right. Copilot also sometimes said nothing when instruction would have been useful for instance on the M56 heading west it doesn't warn you to keep right around Wythenshaw even though it intends to take you through Birkenhead.

Mind you Tom Tom (the supposed gold standard) has its moments. It tells me to keep right here and it's instructions for roundabouts are silly courtesy of a summer update. It used to say 'At the roundabout, turn right and take the fourth exit'. Now it says 'Go around the roundabout, fourth exit' but also 'Go around the roundabout, first exit' which is stupid. Their explanation is that some people were turning right immediately on entry to the roundabout and therefore going the wrong way round. This explanation was not received well on their support forums but so far they don't seem inclined to change it back.

I don't generally drive to the instructions or pay them much heed but having an idea of trouble ahead (both Copilot and TT show you the state of the road up to an hour ahead) and having them able to divert me around trouble is worthwhile. it's also nice to know that if I decide to head off across country the satnav will always be able to guide me back when I need it to.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:12:21 PM by andruec »

Robbie2

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2016 RHD
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2022, 10:44:27 PM »
Hi, I'm reviving this thread to state that a custom app for Android Auto on Honda Connect 4.0.4 is being developed at the XDA forum

As of 2022 many of the available apps have had their support dropped and are no longer usable due to the old 4.0.4 android version. This includes Sygic, Copilot and Google Maps. Android Auto seems the way to go.

If your head unit has been updated to RC7 (build 0F.095.00.0021) or RC8 (build 10.096.00.0021), you will require to downgrade it to RC6 by plugging in a USB drive with the firmware and restarting the unit.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 10:46:26 PM by Robbie2 »

zknapic

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz,1.5 dynamic
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2023, 06:31:11 PM »
Hi,

Please, can someone explain to me the procedure of how to install -HondaAppCenter_A1,

I tried to send in a Zip or Apk file and it always says usb problem, and before that I did Matrix as you can see in the pictures, so if you can help, thanks in advance

zknapic

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz,1.5 dynamic
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2023, 06:34:31 PM »
Hi,

Please, can someone explain to me the procedure of how to install -HondaAppCenter_A1,

I tried to send in a Zip or Apk file and it always says usb problem, and before that I did Matrix as you can see in the pictures, so if you can help, thanks in advance

Tags: