Author Topic: This damned tyre pressure warning system.  (Read 42519 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: This damned tyre pressure warning system.
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2018, 05:21:36 PM »
We will have to keep a log, I have had two (self inflicted, RTFM) false alarms and one genuine slow puncture alarm. That is over two Mk3s.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2018, 05:41:17 PM »
Most of the features on modern cars encourage laziness, eg. because some people can't be bothered to look at their tyres occasionally we have TPMS in various guises, because people can't be bothered to turn their lights on we have DRL ( and some people still don't use appropriate lights,  and any vehicle without DRL will not get noticed in people's rush to be 'somewhere else at fastest speed' ) , then auto wipers, auto dip, auto braking, speed limit recognition - and why do we have them ? People who make an sell bits to car makers lobby politicians ( and brown envelopes ) have something to sell and get laws passed to sell their ( often badly implemented ) systems.  Politicians do not understand most things and are easy to bamboozle and buy off.

The outcome is that drivers pay less attention to things as they come to rely on being spoon fed....... 'Alexa, check my tyres' .....
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:45:57 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2018, 06:58:42 PM »
I've still only ever had mine go off once. I was driving on the A34 dual carriageway approaching Oxford at about 60mph and had driven over several potholes. When I got back home  I discovered that one of my tyres was slightly under pressure. Not hugely so but enough to warrant the alert. That's the only time it's ever gone off for me and in my approximately monthly checks my tyres rarely need inflation.

From that I'd conclude that those experiencing problems with it have a faulty system and it's a shame they can't get Honda to fix it.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 11:46:29 AM »

From that I'd conclude that those experiencing problems with it have a faulty system and it's a shame they can't get Honda to fix it.

I'd agree with that if only the damn thing would false alarm again! The garage has agreed to look at it if, when I get another false alarm, I leave the light on and take it in.

Since they made that promise - it has behaved itself. I have wondered about letting a few pounds out of one of the tyres and seeing it went off but it doesn't activate at low speeds and if it did go off it wouldn't be a false alarm.

I've reached a state of Karma. The system is crap - I just pretend I haven't got it until I see this thread again!

guest8014

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 09:44:09 AM »
Is the inflator supplied easy to use? I have read this post and am going to be prepared for this one. Hopefully the system doesn't beep for this!

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 04:05:33 PM »
Is the inflator supplied easy to use? I have read this post and am going to be prepared for this one. Hopefully the system doesn't beep for this!
The one Honda supplies works but there's nothing special about it. Any standard tyre pump will work. If you adjust the tyre pressures and don't reset the feature (which is done via the steering wheel buttons) it will trigger an alert regardless of what you use to pump the tyres up.

Silverdarling

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2017
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2020, 02:24:40 PM »
Thanks for this valuable information on getting rid of the tyre pressure warning ... I was halfway up the A1, on the hottest day of the year, in my newly acquired 2017 Jazz, when bingo, this light came on. Quite a shock. Stopped at Leeming Bar, and spent a very hot and disgruntled 20 minutes checking tyre pressures (after finding out about how to turn on the ignition without a key  :o) - a bit of a sting in the tail to acquiring a new car which I could have done without!  :(. Proceeded home, with it on, after consulting the dealer by phone who gave *some* help  ::) and was just steeling myself to have a look at the User Manual when I googled ... and came across this thread and relevant others, including instructions on exactly how to initialise. Google rools.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 02:27:57 PM by Silverdarling »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2020, 02:33:29 PM »
and came across this thread and relevant others, including instructions on exactly how to initialise. Google rools.  ;D

I often find it easier to search clubjazz ( and other forums ) using google than by searching using built-in forum search ( same with other forums I use ) just put 'tyre pressure monitoring clubjazz' or 'clubjazz LED headlights' or similar and it seems to find more relevant information far more quickly than the on-site search function does...Google does indeed rool
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2020, 03:22:20 PM »
I have had problems with this on both my former and my current mark 3. Over the 2 cars I have had 10 false alarms and not a single instance of a tyre low on pressure.

In almost every case the false alarm was triggered during a spell of motorway driving. On both cars there were no issues with odd tyres or uneven tyre wear.

The system is not fit for purpose. I would disable it if I could.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2020, 06:49:19 PM »
Thanks for this valuable information on getting rid of the tyre pressure warning ... I was halfway up the A1, on the hottest day of the year, in my newly acquired 2017 Jazz, when bingo, this light came on.
The two times in 5 years when I've had a warning have both been on motorways. Both have been false alarms. It's probably prudent to check tyres and re-initialise the system before longer trips so that any slight change in tyre pressure or tyre wear doesn't push the warning system over the limit.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2020, 09:40:12 PM »
Thanks for this valuable information on getting rid of the tyre pressure warning ... I was halfway up the A1, on the hottest day of the year, in my newly acquired 2017 Jazz, when bingo, this light came on.
The two times in 5 years when I've had a warning have both been on motorways. Both have been false alarms. It's probably prudent to check tyres and re-initialise the system before longer trips so that any slight change in tyre pressure or tyre wear doesn't push the warning system over the limit.

Think that might well be right John. Incidentally we had a trip over to North Wales on Friday (M56 and A55) and I recalibrated before this trip and had no issues.

Still not good enough in my opinion. It must be possible to do better.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2020, 06:20:42 AM »

In my opinion it should be possible to switch off the TPMS.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2020, 07:59:05 AM »
and came across this thread and relevant others, including instructions on exactly how to initialise. Google rools.  ;D

I often find it easier to search clubjazz ( and other forums ) using google than by searching using built-in forum search ( same with other forums I use ) just put 'tyre pressure monitoring clubjazz' or 'clubjazz LED headlights' or similar and it seems to find more relevant information far more quickly than the on-site search function does...Google does indeed rool

I agree it is better to search via google.  The correct format for the search is: site:clubjazz.org tyre pressure for example.  Then you only get hits from clubjazz.org.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2020, 08:51:23 AM »

In my opinion it should be possible to switch off the TPMS.

Its a legal thing and has to stay on  ??? it is to cater / protect the rapidly increasing number of people who know nothing about cars and who treat their car with less care than their coffee maker or washing machine and are too lazy / not clued up enough to even know when their tyre is getting soft**.     Some things can be turned off after engine start but will reset back to 'on' when ignition turned on next time,  but TPMS ain't one of them - I am still in the habit of looking at all 4 tyres on the car every time drive it, has saved me a couple of times from driving off with a flat...

**In the same way that auto brake and auto headlights, auto dip, auto wipers are to cater for people who obviously should not be in charge of a vehicle because they passed their driving test by false pretences or are too distracted by the phones and other gizmos in their car to pay attention to actually driving the thing..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 09:02:09 AM by culzean »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2020, 10:36:08 AM »
Yes I know the legal and other things, that was just my personal opinion and preference.

My Jazz would be a great car without all these auto/warning/assist systems. Now it's just tolerable, as it is annoying to have pre-drive procedure of disabling interfering systems taking more time than 70's diesel pre-glowing time and still have bunch of systems preventing me to do things I'd like to do and which I can do with our older cars.

Tags:

anything