Author Topic: Dreaded rust.  (Read 1748 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Dreaded rust.
« on: March 04, 2019, 08:56:33 AM »
I am afraid the rust bug is beginning to get the better of my rear wheel arches, especially the offside. I gave it a bit of a scrape and a wire brush this morning, but I will have to do some serious work on it. It actually looks a lot worse than it is and after scraping what little mud was behind the lip the metal is still pretty sound. The areas I cleaned back this morning I covered over with Kurust. We used to use that in an industrial application, and it is the best I have come across for stopping and preventing rust. I really need to get the rear bumper off but that is a bit big a task for me, these days.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
Re: Dreaded rust.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 09:53:32 AM »
Here are some photographs after this morning's scraping!

This is the worst side.

Close up of the difficult bit.

Untouched nearside. Looks worse than it really is!

I also wire brushed and Kurusted the worse bits of a couple of my steel wheels.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 09:57:03 AM »
That's a shame, your's is such a smashing example, but I'm afraid age catches up with them all eventually.. I've got a little bit developing on the nearside rear arch too, the site of a previous battle scar. I'll have to attend to it when the weather's a bit better and I have a bit more time.

That stuff does work wonders though, clean off as much as possible before applying multiple coats. A quick sand and repeat until no sign of rust... then a smear of Fibrofil to smooth out and seal the surfaces before final sanding, paint or body shutz. It's just phosphoric acid in a gel, brick cleaner works too.

Should put it on for a few more years.  8)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 10:01:34 AM »
Looked at the photos, you might be able to detach that part of the bumper and get in behind that side flap, the rust will almost certainly be under there too.

Is it just surface? Once you start poking things that look like that it can quite quickly turn nasty. If you can feel anything on the inside, you may have more problems than you expect...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:03:20 AM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 10:13:16 AM »
If you can feel anything on the inside, you may have more problems than you expect...
That's what I thought, but the reverse lip is actually stiff and sound, so perhaps all is not lost.
Today was just an exploratory foray. I'll sand it down with the 180 grit wet or dry and a sanding block, and take it from there.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 10:25:20 AM »
That's the answer, when you have a bit of time, take it back to good and see what's left. Hopefully you will be able to do something a bit better than a cosmetic job.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 10:47:37 AM »
That is exactly the same place that the rust started on my first Civic ( Rover 400 shape), just where the rear bumper and body join up. Same colour as your Jazz pretty much but a shade darker ( Brighton Blue IIRC ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 11:58:27 AM »
That is exactly the same place that the rust started on my first Civic ( Rover 400 shape), just where the rear bumper and body join up.

Unfortunately, these close fitting bumper edges are dirt traps and hold moisture.

Tags:

anything