Author Topic: Revs hunting after replacing egr valve?  (Read 1614 times)

Mumscar

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk1
Revs hunting after replacing egr valve?
« on: December 09, 2018, 08:04:18 PM »
Hi, With the help of YouTube I changed the alternator on my Mums Honda jazz auto and to get it off I had to remove the fixture above it that was bolted to the engine block, which I think is the egr? Alternator now fine but revs are hunting? I just reconnected egr using old gasket.
Thanks for any advice?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Revs hunting after replacing egr valve?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:16:08 AM »
sounds like it could be a slight air leak due to reuse of old gasket, so replace with new one and see if that works

Mumscar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 06:19:55 PM »
Thanks for reply, yes that seems a good start, I went to mill autos today to get one but they said it is a direct from Honda dealer only. The chap there said the idle control valve is a common issue but I think it is more likely to be something that I have disturbed on the egr.

Mumscar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 03:56:09 PM »
Replaced gasket today, just as well as coolant was capillary action up into one exhaust port. Cleaned egr with some carburettor cleaner, refitted, still hunting for revs at idle and worse in park! Any more ideas anyone?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 10:41:27 AM »
Replaced gasket today, just as well as coolant was capillary action up into one exhaust port. Cleaned egr with some carburettor cleaner, refitted, still hunting for revs at idle and worse in park! Any more ideas anyone?

Did you take the complete EGR off ( not just the top bit) if you did there is a coolant pipe going to it and the gasket does  seal coolant, never had to take the whole thing off - just the top bit.

The Haynes manual says that on models with airconditioning they recommend removing the inlet manifold to be able to access and remove the alternator,  but with non-aircon models the alternator can be dropped down ( on aircon models the compressor is in the way) after unbolting.   
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:53:31 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Mumscar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 09:34:52 PM »
Idle now sorted, it was just the ecu acting up. Disconnected battery for third time and on reconnection all back to normal Having tried to find an air leak for 2 hours!

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 10:31:37 PM »
Good to hear that you got it fixed  ;)

Tags:

anything