Poll

If your Jazz suffers from worn rear wheel bearings, please tells us what year the car was registered

16 (14.5%)
32 (29.1%)
31 (28.2%)
15 (13.6%)
11 (10%)
4 (3.6%)
1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Honda Jazz 2002-2006 rear wheel bearings  (Read 113640 times)

Ciaran84

• Approved Member
Re: Jazz rear wheel bearings
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 09:30:55 AM »
I've edited the original topic with a list of dealers who have replaced the wheel bearings under warranty, based on the replies to this topic.

FYI for this purpose, i got mine done in Tom Fox Honda, Drogheda, Co Louth. Might be an important addition as the only one proven in Ireland so far, though i seem to be the only paddy on here at the moment :P

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2011, 08:34:39 AM »
My car has no service history and already 9 years old so I had to buy the rear wheel ball bearing with the hub - near side worn only.
Went to Eurocarparts today 8.20am and ordered an SKF one for £110.87 inc.VAT (no ABS), can pick up from the shop 12.30pm today.

The genuine one from Honda is £132.96 inc.VAT, http://www.roweshondaparts.co.uk/product/REAR_HUB_BEARING_%28WO_ABS_JAZZ_2002-2008%29_42200SAAE03.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 08:40:52 AM by DV »

guest2365

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2011, 08:00:33 PM »
Took my 2006 1.4 DSi Jazz into the Honda dealer yesterday to check the near side rear bearing as I have a noise in the car (nothing found when I jack up the rear and turn/wiggle the wheel).  The service desk agreed that there was an extended warranty on the bearing problem when I rang up (dealer in Bristol at Cribbs Causeway) and gave them my car details etc. and stated that I would be charged £86 per hour for diagnostics. Took it in that day feeling quite confident it was the bearing and they checked it for a good 1 hour 20 mins.  They came back with it was not loud enough to be the bearing, they had cleaned up the discs and swapped the front wheels to the back - but were quite happy for me to drive away without a charge (they did not confirm or deny it was the bearing).  I was relatively happy and left quickly in case they tried to charge me!

I rang up today to confirm what the extended warranty period is so I can take it back before the time is up and they informed me my car is not covered under the warranty because it is only earlier models!  When I stated they did not tell me that yesterday she said it was because they did not know the year of my car - rubbish!  She also stated that the VIN no. had been checked and is not covered under the Honda Service Bulletin!

Does anyone know which years of Jazz the extended warranty covers?

I will be ringing Honda UK myself tomorrow but expect to be similarly fobbed off!

guest2365

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2011, 08:21:10 PM »
Right - the latest from me is this:

Spoke to Honda UK and they said all warranty claims are managed by dealers and not them.  She advised me to ring another dealer - so I did.

I spoke to a nice man at the other Bristol Honda dealer (Brislington) and they acknowledged the extended warranty claim.  After telling him my reg. no. he also noted that I had put the car into the other Bristol dealer two days before - I did not think their systems would be that sophisticated - damn!

He did give me more information about which cars the extended warranty applies to - he said it only applies to 2003/4 and 5 cars and after that the part was modified to eliminate the problem.  He gave me the range of VIN no.s it applies to - I did not get the start, but the upper limit ends in 5S225989 as printed on the Honda Service Bulletin.  I can confirm that my VIN no. is beyond the limit so it does not cover my car - damn again!

I was quoted £224.72 inc VAT to replace the part (at 0.7 hours worth of labour).

I will keep going until it gets worse.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2011, 08:57:43 PM »
Why don`t you change it yourself than? There are pictures a few pages back in this topic how to do it... Anyway this is your choice, I know you have tried to fix it under warranty but now all we know what cars are covered.
Thanks for the info!

guest2365

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »
I will consider changing it myself DV - but my local garage is around £45 per hour so buying myself time and the risk of screwing it up I might just pay someone else to do it (and not Honda).

I will keep going until it becomes proper loud - like I said earlier - I think I have sensitive hearing and have gotten paranoid after reading this forum!

Cheers.

guest1844

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2011, 10:16:48 PM »
Had both my rear bearings done 3 weeks ago, FOC under the extended warranty. I put it in for the recalls and asked them to check as the LHS rear was a bit noisy at speed, but more noticeably, the brake was "catching" once per revolution - by this I mean a sound like pad-on-rusty-disc. With the car jacked up, I didn't get it but if you pressed the tyre hard and rotated you could get the noise at a specific point of rotation. I assume the bearing sagged a bit with the weight of the car on it.
Mine's a 2005 with 35kmiles.

I also got the gearbox bearings done as well, FOC - I'll update the other topic on that front...

Good on Honda - not many car companies would take responsibility for a 6 year old car like that!

guest2787

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2011, 03:37:05 PM »
Oh dear.  I have a 2004 1.4 Jazz and was told at my MOT in June at a local garage that my rear wheel bearings needed replacing.  I was quoted £120 for each bearing part plus labour on top. I booked it in last week.  While the car was at the garage my chimney sweep arrived and he went pale when I told him which garage my car was currently at!  Oh glory, seems he had some welding done on floor of his car and when he got it home and lifted up the mats he could see the road.  As well as this, his neighbour had used the garage and was not happy with the work.  When I collected the car I was advised that the rear brakes and pads were worn.   

Yesterday I took the car to my local Honda dealership to have the brakes sorted and asked them to check over the bearings while they were at it.    I have now had the report that "on inspection we found that the rear wheel bearings were far too tight.  We have adjusted the torque on the bearings but heat damage may already have taken place as fitted incorrectly.  We advise to replace the bearings with genuine parts.  Cost £468.82 inc."
They have advised me to ask the first garage to check to see if any damage has taken place due to the over-tightening.     Quite frankly, I am not sure I would trust this first garage to go near my car, knowing what i now know.   Should I take the car to a completely independent person to check over the state of the bearings?  They have only been in about ten days.    I wish I had discovered this forum earlier, though I certainly did not have a full service history from a Honda dealer so probably would not have qualified for a f.o.c. recall.

If "heat damage" had already occurred, how long would these bearings now last?  Any advice welcome as to best course to take. 

culzean

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »
It is impossible to over-tighten the rear wheel bearings on the GD Jazz because the bearings come completely fitted into the new hub and there is a fitted spacer between the bearings and all the threaded nut does is clamp the inner bearing races against the spacer.    It used to be possible to over-tighten (apply too much pre-load) the older (and stronger) tapered roller bearings on car wheels and you had to set the gap between nut and bearing with a feeler gauge, or risk premature failure (or 'heat damage' as your Honda dealer called it).  I would say that you should jack up the car and rotate the rear wheels by hand, you will soon pick up any tightness or noise from the bearings.

Dealers aren't above being pro-active when it comes to 'finding' problems with cars, my wife and I both separately took our GD Jazzes to our local Honda dealer for MOT this year and both cars were said to have a corrosion problem with the rear offside brake pipe that was bad enough for them to advise replacement of the pipe (at about £180) but not bad enough to fail the MOT apparently!!!!! The same part was noted as advisory last year, what can I say?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

dg

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 1.4 SE + 2015 1.3 S
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2012, 10:51:15 AM »
Just failed MOT on rear nearside bearing and lambda readings(exhaust blowing a little, hope this is the reason)

Haynes manual states I need to use new nut(£13) after replacing bearing, does new one come along with bearing or it could be reused? or is it locking nut?

still very much undecided wich way to go with 10yo  car £35ebay/£110halfords/£165honda..

EDIT:
if anyone could confirm nut size as 30mm, would be nice, seen 2 refs to 32mm on US sites, maybe different models..

EDIT 2:
was wrong re halfords quote, it's £137 actually, to replace bearing only, 12k miles/1y warranty..
therefore ordered 42200SAAG02 off coxmotorparts at discounted £137.96
they were most helpful, confirmed that:
- old nut could be reused
- nut size is 32mm

EDIT 3:
all done
nut size was 30mm  ::)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:34:31 PM by grdmitro »

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Edit by RichardA - 17 March 2010:
This fault is covered under warranty by Honda. Some say up to 7 years, others up to 9 years old. It appears having a full service history from a Honda dealer is required to qualify for the wheel bearings to be replaced under warranty.

Edit by RichardA  - 16 July 2012:
Apparently, cars built from 2006 onwards have a revised wheel bearing design and are not covered by this extended warranty. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Any update on this? Can anyone confirm once and for all what (if) the cut-off date is for Honda to pocket the bill? Is it 7 or 9 years old? Do cars from '06 on have a revised wheel bearing design and are not covered? Is this new actually any better?

54 Jazz owner

Just had one done but after 120000miles  I didnt think to try for free!

guest3954

Hi,

I'm in Australia, not England, and not sure whether the rear bearing problems were an issue down here.  I only just found out about it from my uncle, who is helping me learn more about this car I've had from new since 2005.  Mine is a 1.3L 2005 Honda Jazz Vibe GLi.  It was serviced per log book at Honda until late 2009, when my life fell apart.  2010 I lost my grandmotherly-aunt, 2011 my dad passed away, and 2012 I lost first my actual grandmother, and then my mum. 

The car has done just under 73k kilometres, but missed its last service.  It isn't making a gearbox whine -- yet!  I don't know if the bearing problems are an issue only with UK cars (I haven't found any reference to this outside of UK forums), as it seems your Jazzes/Fits are different -- you seem to have a 1.4L model, while we had 1.3L and 1.5L.

The car is going in tomorrow to have a couple of factory recalls attended to -- driver's window and lights.  I'd like to be able to talk intelligently about the bearings while I'm there. 

HELP!   [  please :)   ]

Catie.

guest4498

My 2003 Jazz with 45,000 miles on it just past its MOT Test,The Guy said mate your drivers side rear bearings need replacing,I said ok not a problem will replace asap.Went to Honda as I did not like the idea of fitting cheapo ones of ebay.At the main Honda garage I enquired how much for the rear hub (ABS). £155 was the reply !!!!!!!!!! How much ?????? I then said that my son used to be a Honda mechanic working here until recently,In that case £130.So I bought it came home and then the next day decided to remove old one.. FIRST problem that no one on here mentioned how to get the brake drum off !!!!!! I tried tapping with a hammer levering it off no good then I sat back and took a good look.Then i noticed 2 small dark rusty holes in the brake drum,cleaned them out and screwed in to small bolts and wound the brake drum off...... So there you have it something that simple like that left out off posts or I did not see it LOL..Any way once removed everything elses went to plan. :)

TrevJC

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 GD5
Re: Honda Jazz 2002-2006 rear wheel bearings
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »
Quote "Then i noticed 2 small dark rusty holes in the brake drum,cleaned them out and screwed in to (two) small bolts and wound the brake drum off."

I am planning to do the same job. How did you find out what size bolts to use? I don't have a lot of different bolts to try.

Also I see that a previous poster mentioned a possible 32 mm hub nut. I ordered a Honda Jazz nut from a UK supplier and got just that - a 32mm nut. I found out it was wrong after I took off the dust cap. Now I am getting a genuine - 30mm -  part from Honda. Maybe some do have 32mm nuts??

Another question. What is the best tool to bend back the locking tab on the old nut to get it off. It needs to be a tough old bit of metal to bend the nut. A screwdriver is no good. Does a nail really work?

Tags:

anything