Author Topic: Sluggish pulling away?  (Read 7822 times)

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
Sluggish pulling away?
« on: October 23, 2017, 10:01:01 PM »
Hi,
I've always thought my cvt was a bit slow pulling onto roundabouts but today I have solved it 😊😊😊, flicking the minus paddle a couple of times as you roll to a stop puts the car into low gear ready for pulling away, instead of it having to change down, works for me, now quite a tyre burner,
Chris

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
Re: Sluggish pulling away?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 10:41:57 AM »
I can never understand owners that say they never use the paddles and they are a waste of space, I found them very useful in certain situations when I had my CVT Jazz and also now in the Civic. :)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »
Given the generally poor press that any CVT gearbox gets (almost all reviewers of the new Honda Jazz advise going for the manual) I wonder if people aren't using the gearbox properly including the paddles? I had a ride in a 2013 Jazz with a CVT box and, even as a passenger, I thought it was awful and very noisy and particularly poor at climbing hills. The friend whose car it was said he never used the paddles.

Is that the key? Could you get better hill climbing, for example, by using the paddles?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 10:55:09 AM »
I never use the paddles. S for fast getaways is much quicker and easier..

S always chooses a lower gear setting.. far more responsive..I use it always when crossing a busy major road with no traffic lights...far quicker and safer.

And of course a firm push on the throttle... up to 5,000rpm and away..

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 02:41:58 PM »
Most people who dislike the CVT box ,including the motoring press,do not understand how a CVT works.
Instead of the revs rising and falling as a conventional auto gearbox goes through its gears the revs on a CVT equipped car rise and the car speed catches up to the selected rev point.
It is the noise of the revs that puts people off so they instinctively don't open the throttle wide enough.
Honda petrol engines thrive on revs so open the throttle and enjoy the hidden performance especially if you make use of the 'S' mode.

Vic.

Hobo

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 03:25:46 PM »
I never use the paddles. S for fast getaways is much quicker and easier..

Sorry but cannot see how it is much quicker and easier if you have to take your hand off the steering wheel twice to change the drive selector into S and then back when you can flick the paddles to select a gear without taking your hands off the wheel. ::)

The paddles are there why not use them?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:21:22 PM by Hobo »

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 05:40:29 PM »
We have the iShift and i use and love the paddles!

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 08:18:34 PM »

The paddles are there why not use them?

I wish my paddles were there! (As on my previous, Yaris).

They will be, on next year's replacement. Or, I'll not be replacing......
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

guest5079

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 11:37:25 AM »
I too have an I shift.
I find the paddles VERY useful especially when Mr Honda has programmed my gear changes for economy and the flipping thing changes into 3rd when 2nd is better so flip of the paddles and off we go. Just a flick of the gear knob back into Auto when things settle down.
And repeating myself VERY useful when joining a fast road with little run in , you can give the old Honda engine a bit of gas and it loves it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And for those worried about over revving, it doesn't happen because if you reach a certain point it will change up even in manual.  Sluggish, yes if you normally drive a Ferrari.

Sorry to all those that hate the I shift. I Love it.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 03:19:20 PM »
My friend, whose current Jazz has the CVT, prefers the I shift as well. Not a common preference though.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 08:00:31 PM »
I loved the CVT, in the 63 reg, Yaris.

It allowed me to pick my own speed, via the down paddle. When descending the many, local hills.  :)

The Jazz, decides for me. Whether I like it, or not!  ???
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Hobo

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 09:53:55 AM »
The Jazz, decides for me. Whether I like it, or not!  ???

You must have bought one of the last of the MK2 models which for some reason had no paddles I can remember looking at one in my local Honda dealers and commenting to the salesman that they were no longer there, my 63 reg. Jazz certainly had them and I understand that they are now back on the  MK3, no doubt someone with one would be able to confirm it.

copelandbc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 07:57:28 PM »
I've only had my Jazz a few months & I'm not sure how to go from auto to paddle shift and then back again. (2010 Model - that's the car. 1947 model, that's the driver.)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 09:10:42 PM »
I've only had my Jazz a few months & I'm not sure how to go from auto to paddle shift and then back again. (2010 Model - that's the car. 1947 model, that's the driver.)
If you are in D then a tug on the left paddle will tell the car to drop a gear so the revs will speed up and the vehicle will accelerate. The car will automatically go back to the gear it thinks appropriate once the pressure on the accelerator pedal) is reduced. If you want overall more lively performance then put the gear into S.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest5079

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 08:58:30 AM »
Copelandbc, says his car is a 2010. If so surely he has an I shift. If so just use the paddles to change up or down. Paddles are marked but I find that the markings and paddles are hidden by the steering wheel. When you have finished with whatever you wanted to do with the paddles just push the gear lever across and it will return to 'Auto'
I assume all I shift are the same, do not worry you cannot over rev the engine as mine at a certain point will change up although still in manual.  Study the handbook about 10 mins of reading up on the Ishift will do you well.
Make sure you study the gear lever, if you do what I have done while learning push the gear lever the wrong way you will find yourself in neutral. After 3 plus years I am very happy with the whole concept of the Ishift.
Of course if your car was registered in 2010 but an earlier model, you will have a CVT.

Tags:

anything