Author Topic: Spammers  (Read 14822 times)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Spammers
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 08:48:22 PM »
My solution to filter out ********** pushers and undesirables on the forum I run was to put some very South African questions that needed to be answered before the new member could register.  Almost impossible for a non-South African to answer.

example:  What was Gauteng pre-1994?
Pretoria-Witwatersrand-Vereeniging, don't you love Google  ;D

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »
My solution to filter out ********** pushers and undesirables on the forum I run was to put some very South African questions that needed to be answered before the new member could register.  Almost impossible for a non-South African to answer.

example:  What was Gauteng pre-1994?

That sorted it out immediately and instead of 20 dodgy people a day, we now get 0

It might be difficult to do on a English car forum.  Have to put your mind to it...

We do have an anti-spam question but it appears to be foiled. :o

And for anyone who is concerned, the site has not been hacked - spammers register, activate the account and login into the forums by the same means as everyone else, albeit often using a software application.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 07:35:23 PM »
A new anti-spam question was added last Monday and we've had zero spam registrations since then, so new registrations no longer require Admin approval unless the IP or email address are flagged by Stopforumspam.

But the previous question was just as effective when introduced over a year ago.....

A number of other forums have also been hit. :o

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:37:08 PM by RichardA »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 10:02:32 PM »
A registration question asking "what is the middle letter in Honda" will most likely stop the spambots. If it doesn't then changing "Honda" to the "the name of the Jazz manufacturer" will definitely slow them down.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: