Author Topic: Ringing squeal noise from rear - ideas?  (Read 6976 times)

guest5079

Re: Ringing squeal noise from rear - ideas?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2018, 11:48:15 AM »
I found out the hard way NOT to jet wash around the brakes. All it did was fill up the gap tween this and that and needed a strip down to get the grit out of the caliper/pads and cover.  I had covered the discs etc up with a plastic bag but a pressure washer laughs at plastic bags.
Incidentally, I had problems with a main dealer and brakes. Eventually done BUT as they had replaced the pads prior to selling the car and when I made a fuss they replaced the front discs NOT the pads and replaced rear discs and pads. When I put it to Honda, it was done as a good will gesture. They would not comment on the front pads not being replaced. The problem with some dealers it seems is that if it passes it's MOT that's fine BUT modern cars should do more than JUST PASS the MOT. By the By it had a Honda 2 yr extended warranty. There was more substance  in what I have just written than their flipping warranty.

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 09:52:23 PM »
On the jet washing of brakes - was jet washing (the body of) my own car at the weekend and a neighbour started chatting.  He works for a car manufacturer and, unprompted, said they've had a bulletin to keep jet washers completely away from the wheel area as they had an incident where a brake hose was cut and they determined it'd been done by a jet wash.

More generally I've been merrily exchanging emails with the dealer and Honda UK.  Honda UK are just repeating back to me what the dealer are saying - it's like their customer service has no depth within Honda.

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2018, 06:03:18 PM »
I've been back and forth with Honda UK customer service on this issue of why one of the rear brake pads wore out before the others.  It's become quite amusing as the person responding doesn't appear to understand or have any idea what she's talking about.  I've managed to string it out for several weeks now by questioned every excuse she gives.

I do feel genuinely miffed that this has cost my daughter money when it really shouldn't have done yet.  I don't think it's the dealers fault, they just made it worse by not finding the issue.  The attitude of their staff doesn't help though.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2018, 09:38:11 PM »
Unequal pad wear definitely due to seized or badly lubricated slide pins, and not that rare so surprised that Honda workshop did not pick it up, especially as the wear strips make a distinctive noise.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2018, 10:49:36 AM »
Given that those of the fair sex can be just as clued up as us blokes, it never ceases to amaze me how, technical dept of a company employ people that have no idea of the subject in which they will receive queries. Blokes as well.
I had problems with a Lady at Honda's tech dept and all I got was referred to a main dealer. After many letters I got them to accept my problem could not answered by a main dealer as my query involved steep hills and main dealers were all on the flat. They then reverted back to stonewalling.
I just hope you get your problem sorted as I agree with Culzean, the obvious answers are seemingly being ignored.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2018, 12:48:08 PM »
Given that those of the fair sex can be just as clued up as us blokes,

'Female engineer' is an oxymoron  :-X (duck)

It is getting harder to get people who know cars in depth because fewer and fewer people actually have experience of working on them, and like most things today,  if they cannot plug a laptop on to OBD and get the answer (or google it) they are stuck.   'Female Logic' (depending on your point of view) is also either an oxymoron or a description of a thought process that applies only to females and inscrutable to men..
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 01:56:24 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2018, 01:58:39 PM »
On the jet washing of brakes - was jet washing (the body of) my own car at the weekend and a neighbour started chatting.  He works for a car manufacturer and, unprompted, said they've had a bulletin to keep jet washers completely away from the wheel area as they had an incident where a brake hose was cut and they determined it'd been done by a jet wash.

They use high pressure water to cut solid steel, IMHO high pressure washers have no place in car care.

Tags:

anything