Author Topic: Reserve tank  (Read 22906 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Reserve tank
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2018, 08:50:26 PM »
Have never let my tank get much less than quarter full ( on gauge) and normally fill up at around half full - mainly because ( a Jocko would say ) a car without fuel is only good for keeping chickens in, and service stations seems to be getting fewer and further apart - if you are going anywhere in snow always make sure you have plenty of fuel, because the extra weight gives more grip ( especially with Honda having tank towards front of car ) and if you get stuck running the engine may keep you warm enough to keep you alive...............
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2018, 10:32:11 PM »
In answer to Chris Newman's question, I can confirm that my 2016 Jazz has shown single figures of miles remaining (including 1 mile) on a few occasions when I'm coming home to our local ASDA.   Once I drove several miles beyond zero, but I can't remember if it showed a negative figure!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2018, 11:10:44 AM »
Is there anything in the view that it's better to keep the tank half full most of the time? I've seen this view on a few American sites including a self styled fuel economy expert "Dr Roadmap." The argument is the saving in having an empty tank, in weight terms, is negligible but by having the tank topped off you avoid evaporation and condensation. Not sure I follow this line of argument but I've heard it expressed more than once.

I dont think there would be any difference in real world driving. I just fill up when the tank is down to a quarter (ish), I don't see the point of self inflicted fuel gauge stress.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:19:10 PM by Skyrider »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »
Is there anything in the view that it's better to keep the tank half full most of the time?
I much prefer to keep my tank half full than half empty.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2018, 12:33:39 PM »
Same with glasses ;D

guest6935

« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2018, 12:36:10 PM »
If you have particular occaisions to fill up why not fill up on those occasions whether the car needs it or not? Something like less than half full + occaision = fill up. No more fule gauge roulette or stress.
Our cheapest local fuel is at Asda.  My wife and I shop there most Mondays, but our live-in son uses the Jazz to commute to work, so we normally go to Asda in the Primera (and can usually fill it there conveniently when it gets down to about ¼ or beyond).  Often our son pays more to fill the Jazz at the end of our road, but I drive it a lot evenings and weekends, and there are times when I think I’ll be able to modify a journey past Asda before it runs out, without too much inconvenience.  Thanks to the range count-down, I’ve never felt significantly stressed over it, although on one occasion recently I turned down an offer to accompany a walking group for a pub meal (not the pub I would have expected), as the fuel light came on when heading for the walk, and the pub was further in the same direction.

Chris

guest6935

« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2018, 12:41:28 PM »
In answer to Chris Newman's question, I can confirm that my 2016 Jazz has shown single figures of miles remaining (including 1 mile) on a few occasions when I'm coming home to our local ASDA.   Once I drove several miles beyond zero, but I can't remember if it showed a negative figure!
Thanks for that - quite a surprise, as I keep a pretty close eye on ours when it gets low (as might be expected).  But if I get down into that territory again, I’ll watch it extra carefully to see if it continues to show a tiny remaining range.

Chris

guest6935

« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2018, 12:52:39 PM »
Is there anything in the view that it's better to keep the tank half full most of the time? I've seen this view on a few American sites including a self styled fuel economy expert "Dr Roadmap." The argument is the saving in having an empty tank, in weight terms, is negligible but by having the tank topped off you avoid evaporation and condensation. Not sure I follow this line of argument but I've heard it expressed more than once.
I find it very hard to believe that evaporation of fuel could ever match the extra consumption necessary to accelerate the greater weight of a full tank, unless your car stood unused for long periods in changing temperatures between only short journeys.  But I think the evaporating fuel would be worse for the environment than burning it to CO2, which reminds me that these days I’m used to hearing a hiss when I open the filler cap (although I couldn’t swear this happens with our Jazz, or just our Primera and previous Micra).  I think these tanks are sealed to prevent escape of petrol vapour.  (I noticed fancy seals on western USA filling station hoses, so I was surprised to find that our Jazz has an awkward filler hole that prevents the nozzle being inserted full depth.)

Chris

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2018, 01:49:11 PM »
so I was surprised to find that our Jazz has an awkward filler hole that prevents the nozzle being inserted full depth.)

Probably designed so that it's harder to get a diesel nozzle in there. Not impossible, as you can make things fool proof, but not idiot proof!

guest6935

« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2018, 02:11:53 PM »
so I was surprised to find that our Jazz has an awkward filler hole that prevents the nozzle being inserted full depth.)

Probably designed so that it's harder to get a diesel nozzle in there. Not impossible, as you can make things fool proof, but not idiot proof!
But I notice that the fillers have a rubber disk behind the nozzle, that appears to be designed to be pressed against the opening to the fuel tank, and when I’m filling our Primera, or used to fill our Micra, this would prevent splashes and limit the vapour loss during filling (although these disks are much more basic than the system used in the USA).  With our Jazz, I can’t get that disk closer than a few inches from the filler hole.  I think the issue is with the shape of the pipe a little way in - I don’t think the opening is any smaller than that of the Primera or Micra.  I can’t comment about diesel nozzles, having never had the worry of overlooking whether I was filling a diesel or petrol car.  It was bad enough having two Nissans with fillers on opposite sides; fortunately our Jazz replace the Micra and has its filler the same side as the Primera.

Chris

Tags: