Author Topic: Help !!! Thief broke my driver side front window  (Read 1671 times)

guest6089

Help !!! Thief broke my driver side front window
« on: March 23, 2018, 08:12:26 PM »
Some idiot broke into my car today. Smashed the driver side front window to bits. I can't seem to find anything online. Does anyone know where I can buy the front driver side window glass from?

I'm based in West Yorkshire in case anyone knows any decent scrapyards.

Many thanks in advance.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Help !!! Thief broke my driver side front window
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 08:18:56 PM »
I just did a Google search " Honda breakers west Yorkshire" and it came up with quite a few.
Might be worth a few phone calls in the morning.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

jazzavac

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz HS Hybrid

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:14:16 AM by sparky Paul »

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:01:34 AM »
At the risk of making myself very unpopular, I think here is a case that illustrates what you get from your car Insurer. There are many posts about how cheap 'A' can get his Insurance.
I don't know B4r1786's insurers but my company would have covered this damage at NO cost to me. This cost of the glass would absorb any savings on so called 'cheap 'insurance. if replaced by a glass expert.
I do feel for B4r1786 because his/her vehicle has been violated, good luck with the search.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »
At the risk of making myself very unpopular, I think here is a case that illustrates what you get from your car Insurer. There are many posts about how cheap 'A' can get his Insurance.
I don't know B4r1786's insurers but my company would have covered this damage at NO cost to me. This cost of the glass would absorb any savings on so called 'cheap 'insurance. if replaced by a glass expert.

It will certainly not make you unpopular, insurer repairs are probably the best option for most people.

That said, saying that your insurance will cover this at "no cost" is not quite correct. Most have to pay an excess, but even if you don't, you will certainly pay at renewal time. All claims, including glass, have to be declared on your insurance for five years, and whilst it does not affect your NCB, it will affect your premium for the susequent five years - the actual premium loading varies by company, but it does make a difference.

If you are in any doubt, try getting an insurance quote with and without a previous glass claim.

You also have to declare it for 5 years when you change insurer, and as these claims are now kept on a central database, it could void your insurance if you "forget" to declare it and have to make a claim for something else later.

For anyone that can DIY, this sort of repair is usually cheaper than the glass excess, which is usually £50-£100 for most.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:20:25 PM by sparky Paul »

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 02:18:57 PM »
Whilst on the insurance issues, there was a program on TV a few years ago about insurers trying to get out of paying claims.

The assessor was visiting a customer and sorted out his damage claim for his car. As the assessor was chatting to the customer as he was leaving he asked him what the crime was like in this area. The customer replied 'not too bad, the worse I have had is the radio nicked out of the car'. Whoops, he hadn't declared this to the insurers even though he hadn't put in a claim. The insurers rejected his accident claim. You have to be sooo careful.

Mike.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 03:27:44 PM by MikeG1944 »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 03:11:59 PM »
Yes, I had a funny moment with an assessor when I had my car stolen off the driveway, my only car insurance claim in nearly 30 years.

He was sat down going through the paperwork, asking questions about the car's condition and service history, etc., presumably to arrive at a valuation. Then he threw in, "has there been any previous claims on the vehicle?"... thinking he meant accident damage or theft etc., I answered no, not as far as I knew - but he immediately responded by telling me I had had a windscreen on such a date, the value of the claim, etc.. It was a few years previously, and to be honest, I had forgotten about it. They hadn't though.

There was a pregnant pause as we looked at each other for a moment, then I apologised for failing to remember and we carried on as if nothing had happened.

It was very odd, happily the claim was paid out quickly and without any further fuss.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 03:15:33 PM by sparky Paul »

Tags:

anything