Author Topic: battery  (Read 1273 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
battery
« on: February 16, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »
Had a bit of trouble with my battery yesterday, was sat in car with son filling in a few forms for about half an hour with side lights on and interior lights on (at night) came to start and 'flat battery' I-shift, so off down for jump leads and started with sons car. Drove home about 30 miles and tried starting a few times when i got home of course without any problem, however red glow in sight hole on battery, so topped up a bit (although it is a sealed for life battery)and charged up. Now it starts fine, but there is still a red glow down inspection hole. says 1. green OK 2.red top up 3 white,charge.
Batter is original 8 years old time for a new one ?even though it still starts ok ? checked charging, thats fine.

davegreen55

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2010
Re: battery
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 02:39:57 PM »
If the battery is 8 years old, I would have thought that it was well overdue for replacement. It might suddenly fail and leave you stranded.

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 02:58:43 PM »
You might expect a 50Ah battery to be able to provide 600 watts for an hour, but that is 100%>0% deep cycle which won't happen with a regular car battery.  So 20W of external lighting and maybe 15W internally does not sound like much and only used ~3% of theoretical max, but an old battery has a pretty steep discharge curve, usable capacity is much reduced.  10 years is really the limit so yours is certainly near end of life.  You can probably still get a couple of high amperage shots from the battery in daily use but it's ability to maintain a charge is falling rapidly, leave it parked for a week and you might find it fails again.
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 03:05:11 PM »
Had a bit of trouble with my battery yesterday, was sat in car with son filling in a few forms for about half an hour with side lights on and interior lights on (at night) came to start and 'flat battery' I-shift, so off down for jump leads and started with sons car. Drove home about 30 miles and tried starting a few times when i got home of course without any problem, however red glow in sight hole on battery, so topped up a bit (although it is a sealed for life battery)and charged up. Now it starts fine, but there is still a red glow down inspection hole. says 1. green OK 2.red top up 3 white,charge.
Batter is original 8 years old time for a new one ?even though it still starts ok ? checked charging, thats fine.

If you are intending to keep the car for a while replace the Battery with a Yuasa Silver (or a cheaper Yuasa Calcium battery),  cost a bit more than standard battery but well worth it for higher capacity (in same package size) and longer life.  A normal battery is on borrowed time after 4 to 5 years (if you live in a hot country life may be a short as 18 to 24 months),  some do last longer but that is a bonus an not to be relied on.   Batteries gradually lose capacity as they age - instead of holding 35A/h (when new) yours may only have about 20A/h and if fully charged may well start the car but cannot be relied on to accept and release what charge it has reliably. The Green / red / white display is also just the condition of 1 of the 6 cells (they are sealed from each other) and is a general guide to battery condition,  any one of the other 5 cells could be in worse condition.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:30:16 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 08:32:50 AM »
Thank you guys, cars just done 40k, so think its time for a new one.

Tags: