Author Topic: Tom Tom sat nav  (Read 2464 times)

guest5079

Tom Tom sat nav
« on: February 09, 2018, 04:45:49 PM »
It may be that some will be aware but it seems Tom Tom's makers are stopping support for their units made prior to 2013. It appears that the 'OLD' units can no longer cope with the increase in data that is to be downloaded. Despite Tom Tom telling customers they have a 'Lifetime' support, like many manufacturers their definition is not what one expects in fact it appears there is NO definition for lifetime. The comment in the article is 'Companies often use 'lifetime' as a marketing tactic knowing customers will mistakenly think it means for ever'. In fact in Tom Toms terms 'lifetime' means 'the useful life of the devices'. Microsoft is a master at this one.
The devices will continue to work, maps will 'become out of date and as such navigation will be less accurate'.
'This may be the perfect opportunity to discover what our new range of navigation products has to offer you'.
I subscribe to a computer magazine which despite me being computer illiterate does help me and this article is in the latest edition of ' Computer Active'

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Tom Tom sat nav
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 04:53:47 PM »
They have been sending me that news for months now, along with money off a new unit! I believe some 2016 units are no longer being updated as well. I will continue with my old Tom Tom One and Google maps. I really only use it in cities so not a great problem. Even when it was being updated it was terrible inaccurate. A section of Kirkcaldy was total fantasy, and it showed roads which are footpaths in the local park!!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 06:46:31 PM »
According to the Tom Tom website my Start 50, which was bought from Halfords with lifetime updates, is not affected. I have just updated it.

Vic.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:10:40 PM by VicW »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 07:13:49 PM »
I have a 2006 Garmin C510 streetpilot that I have just fitted new larger battery to, original battery was good for 8 hours when new but gradually got less, with new battery 10 hours is available - unit still supported by Garmin with software and maps - I use it on my motorbike because it does not need plugging in and has socket for earphones  - it has really sensitive receiver chip and I  can also get good signal in lounge of two story brick house.  Later ( 2010) I got a widescreen Garmin 1490T - 5" screen, supports off-road navigation and has 2.5hour battery, replaced the battery a couple of years ago due to losing capacity. Still fully supported by Garmin.  Guess it pays to buy from a solid company if you want continuing support.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:17:33 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 07:24:28 PM »
Guess it pays to buy from a solid company if you want continuing support.

I imagine buyers thought Tom Tom was a 'solid company'.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 07:30:09 PM »
Guess it pays to buy from a solid company if you want continuing support.

I imagine buyers thought Tom Tom was a 'solid company'.

Vic.

Probably, but Garmin been around longer, American customer service ethos and they do everything from aviation, military and hiking.  Can't trust those Europeans as far as you can throw them LOL.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 09:44:52 PM »
Seems a bit of a swizz for those with devices only a few years old that are on the defunct list.

There's quite an active hacking community for these tomtom devices, for free map updates etc.. It won't help your average user, but it will be interesting to see if they come up with some sort of workaround.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 09:56:20 PM »
I bought mine in May 2009 and it didn't come with updates (I had to buy them with an annual subscription), so I cannot really complain. I used to use it mainly for the GPS speedometer, but now my Dash Cam has a large GPS speed display on the rear, and that is showing all the time, so the Sat Nav is seldom used.
If I am going someplace I haven't been before, I check it out on Google Streetview. That way I know what I am looking for, when I get there.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 07:37:17 PM »
For those that are cheesed off with
TT.
Try  well known German supermarket. They have excellent
GARMIN for £99.
With all bells and whistles
I find it very good

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 10:15:37 PM »
I am not sad about it! Since we have our Tomtom with lifetime updates i was able to update it ONE time, after then there was always a conflict between the Tomtom and our Mac computers, and me and Tomtom support. ;) After a while i got a new device, but i was never able to connect that one to Tomtom, too.

I am using HERE WeGo on the iPhone.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 12:14:46 PM »
I have a TomTom One which I can no longer update. It doesn't have the memory capacity for the new maps (I used it for my trips to France and round the UK for work). TomTom cur down the size of the european maps so I could just get a few countries, I was only interested in UK, Ireland and France and that served for a couple of years but alas no more.
I liked the idea I could create my own vehicle to display, I created a gingerbread man for the grandkids to cheer them on journeys so the man was available on the roads. I saw the writing on the wall and bought a Garmin Nuvi with european mapping and find the updates work well but there are odd things I miss from the TomTom. I often get emails from TomTom offering a replacement and with discount work out about £160! could get the same model cheaper from Halfords.  Anyway now I persevere with the Garmin and it hasn't got me lost yet.  :D

Tags:

anything