Author Topic: Rear door windows steaming up  (Read 4297 times)

guest7457

Rear door windows steaming up
« on: February 02, 2018, 10:01:15 PM »
Looking for a fix for my steamy windows. Only just bought the car and well impressed apart from the windows in rear keep steaming up. Heater blower on 3, heater control set to demist, bakes us in front but rear windows still steaming up. Is this a  common fault with this model, it's a 54 plate. Thanks for any info.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
Re: Rear door windows steaming up
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 11:03:45 PM »

Yes. I have the same problem. Demisting is just not great I am afraid. Think it is down to the greater expanse of glass. Great for all round visibility when it's not, well,  misted up...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 08:44:32 AM »
I never have problems with the rear windows misting. Check for water in the spare wheel well. The roof rails leak on some cars (see other threads for repairing) and this leads to water getting into the rear.
I keep 2 large bags of silica gel in the car, to absorb the day to day moisture caused by wet clothes and the like.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AZZB5UY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 09:17:02 AM »
I had that problem with a Voyager once; turned out to be a leaky heater rad. Had a few mechanics fooled for a while. I keep a couple of those silica gel pads in the car, that helps a lot, they do work.

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 12:06:30 PM »
I'm not implying that you don't keep your car clean but it might be worth putting a decent polish on the inside of the rear windows.   On a previous car, I found that helped to keep them clear.

Also, is the recirculating air option active, or do you just have external air coming in?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 12:34:15 PM »
Misting is dampness, either you, the dog, or a leak (spare wheel well) as noted above.  Mk1 seems to prefer fan on 1 or 2 and set on fresh air.  Also worth checking the cabin filter to make sure it's not full of decaying damp leaf debris.  Just pull glove box liner straight out forward then unclip filter from housing behind.
--
TG

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 02:00:20 PM »
It is essential for efficient demisting that you do not have 'recirculated air' selected, if it is all you are doing is recirculating the same air in the car all the time which is full of moisture.
In the boot at the back on a level with the boot floor there is an air exit for internal air so that the internal air stays fresh.Make sure that these vents are not blocked.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 02:21:27 PM »
As long as you have aircon turned on (and working correctly)  recirculating the air will still dehumidify it, and will be quicker than if sucking in New damp air from outside. It is when aircon is off that recirculation gets car all steamed up. The prime suspects would be water in wheel well (my wife had that on her GD and a 6mm hole drilled at lowest point cured it) also if the cabin filter (pollen filter) not been changed that can do it. Opie oils do pollen filters at a good price. A leaking heater matrix would make car smell of antifreeze (the only car I have had that happen on was wife's fiat punto lol).

Recirculating air will also cool car quicker on a hot day as the system is not pulling in hot air from outside car. I rarely use recirculation as I think car can get too dry for the health of my sinuses and a bit stuffy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 04:00:27 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7457

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 04:01:54 PM »
Thanks for all the tips and advice. Will check car out and follow the tips given. Will report back later.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »
If no water in wheel well check the pollen filter, (check it anyway it is easy to get to and  takes about 10 minutes......  if it is the colour of coal may never have been changed  :o  )

Choice of pollen filters from coxmotorparts  or eurocarparts

https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-jazz-pollen-filter-2002-2008/

https://www.eurocarparts.com/pollen-filter

The air flow through filter is important (a proper filter should be layered, it should go through coarse filter first then fine) there are arrows on filter and airflow is from top (the dirty face) down through filter.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:57:04 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »
I bought a Crosland cabin filter from Europarts and it had no directional arrow. When I asked them which way it should be installed they refunded my money.
Cox will be dearer but will be excellent quality. I bought a Blueprint? or was it Blue spot? however that did have a directional arrow but was not cheap.

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 05:23:25 PM »
I really need to get around to fixing the water in the boot. I keep meaning to do it but I have never got around to it.

What is the name of that stuff I need?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 05:54:44 PM »
I really need to get around to fixing the water in the boot. I keep meaning to do it but I have never got around to it.

What is the name of that stuff I need?

A battery drill with a 6mm drill - put a hole in lowest point of wheel well -  it worked for me. 

otherwise.......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sikaflex-caravan-motorhome-sealant-purpose/dp/B001EXJZ2Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1517766769&sr=8-5&keywords=sikaflex+512
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:56:43 PM by culzean »

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 09:21:38 AM »
If you follow Culzeans excellent remedy, make sure you put some paint on the bare metal otherwise the metal mice will move in.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 09:42:31 AM »
I think drilling holes is a bit extreme, but sometimes it has to be done or is the easier option. My FIAT 126 had drain holes under the carpet and they were lipped to face away from water coming up off the road. I had to drill another, in the front, so when I did, the final act (before painting with red lead) was to stick the drill shank in the hole and bend the floor round the hole so that the underside faced the rear, if you get my drift.
This is the nearest I can find to a photo that explains it.

Basically you don't want it scooping water back up from outside.

Tags: