Author Topic: Any Driving Instructors here? Best tips?  (Read 4927 times)

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Any Driving Instructors here? Best tips?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 10:55:52 AM »
I had to think about how I put the handbrake on, it is like breathing, you don't give it a lot of thought.
I depress the button as I put on the handbrake, then release the button before clicking the final notch or two.
Same.  But I definitely don't keep my foot on the brakes while stationary, that's tantamount to leaving rear fog lights on in fine weather.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »
I had to think about how I put the handbrake on, it is like breathing, you don't give it a lot of thought.
I depress the button as I put on the handbrake, then release the button before clicking the final notch or two.
Same.  But I definitely don't keep my foot on the brakes while stationary, that's tantamount to leaving rear fog lights on in fine weather.

I put handbrake on and only keep foot on brake pedal (brake lights on) until there is a vehicle behind to protect my rear end then brake lights off -  the brake lights are not going to bother an approaching vehicle 50 to 100 metres away but may appraise them to the fact I am braking / am stationary.  I also watch my rear view mirror and if vehicle behind seems to be closing up too rapidly I will pump brake pedal to flash brake lights,  this may have saved me from a few rear enders over the years,  but obviously I will never know because nothing happened..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 01:12:38 PM »

I put handbrake on and only keep foot on brake pedal (brake lights on) until there is a vehicle behind to protect my rear end then brake lights off -  the brake lights are not going to bother an approaching vehicle 50 to 100 metres away but may appraise them to the fact I am braking / am stationary.  I also watch my rear view mirror and if vehicle behind seems to be closing up too rapidly I will pump brake pedal to flash brake lights,  this may have saved me from a few rear enders over the years,  but obviously I will never know because nothing happened..

I also watch my rear view mirror and if vehicle behind seems to be closing up too rapidly I switch on my hazard lights.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »
It is strange how things change. We were taught to push the button in pull the handbrake lever up,release the button then pull it up again and this should ensure the ratchet engages.
The Honda salesman told me to forget what I was taught and just pull the handbrake lever up. Unfortunately on a couple of occasions the hand brake has slipped a notch when I did as per the modern day thoughts so old fashioned or not I still push button in pull the lever up and release knob pull again. You can hear it click.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 03:09:20 PM »

Ditto, that's exactly what I do. I was also taught to release the ratchet when applying, as well as use of the handbrake. I'm one of those who detest staring at brake lights in a queue, especially when it's damp weather. And front fog lights.. don't get me started again...  >:(

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 10:35:42 PM »
If someone comes up behind me with their front fog lights on I switch on my rear fog light. I figure it must be foggy and I didn't notice!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 09:44:17 AM »
If someone comes up behind me with their front fog lights on I switch on my rear fog light. I figure it must be foggy and I didn't notice!

I have done that to drivers in the past and had the angry headlight flash and a bit of road rage - seems front fogs are OK with some but not rears  :-X    My wifes Punto of a few years ago (we speak of it very little now LOL) was it had two proper bright rear fogs - awesome with both turned on.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 10:12:58 AM »
Always use the handbrake, sitting with the foot on the brake can cause a hot spot on the disks and possible distortion.

My Jazz has discs on the rear, so having the handbrake on could cause the distortion you mention. However, I'd not expect the rear discs to do as much work as the front ones, and therefore they should be less susceptible to distortion.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 10:37:45 AM »
My discs, even the front ones, never get more than warm. Plus, all the handbrake does is the same as the footbrake but with slightly less pressure applied to the pad. Why that should warp the disc is beyond me. Should you let the car sit to allow the brakes to cool before applying the handbrake when parking? What if you are on a hill?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »
My discs, even the front ones, never get more than warm. Plus, all the handbrake does is the same as the footbrake but with slightly less pressure applied to the pad. Why that should warp the disc is beyond me. Should you let the car sit to allow the brakes to cool before applying the handbrake when parking? What if you are on a hill?

+1

Tags:

anything