Author Topic: 2015 EX running on winter tyres/wheels without TPMS ?  (Read 2980 times)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
2015 EX running on winter tyres/wheels without TPMS ?
« on: November 25, 2017, 11:00:53 AM »
When we changed our Jazz for a CVt model 2015 reg EX the Jazz came with 16" alloy wheels complete with the Honda TPMS valves.
I'm now about to swop over to a set of winter Nokian tyres on steel wheels with standard valves. Apart from running with awarning light for 3/4 months any other issuing likely to arise?

I'm unfamiliar with the TPMS & hd been informed its the resetting that incurs the high cost as I did consider just purchasing 4 TPMS valves to the steel wheels.
Comments welcomed

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: 2015 EX running on winter tyres/wheels without TPMS ?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 12:32:49 PM »
Apart from maybe being illegal and if you have an accident and insurance find TPMS disabled and refuse to pay in case of accident.
I believe the new (or any replacement) sensors need pairing with the ECU,  try a tyre fitting place rather than Honda garage.

Problem with new tech is it can involve more ongoing costs.  This place says they competitive on price for reprogramming.

https://www.hometyre.co.uk/services/tyre-pressure-monitoring-systems/

This company is telling porkies about the indirect ABS system when they say it may not detect slow puncture because the system keeps re-learning its parameters.  I has a very slow puncture due to under-bead corrosion on a rear alloy and the Honda system regularly showed a puncture every time the pressure dropped 4 to 5 PSI, (which took about a week and quite a few hundred miles) when i inflated the tyre to correct pressure the warning went away after a few miles IIRC.  I think it only relearns its parameters when you reset the system via push buttons on steering wheel and info menu.

The ABS based system on earlier Jazz and Civic has worked fine for me on several occasions.  Good thing is when I put 175/65R15 winter setup on the Jazz instead of 185/55R16 summers the ABS pulse based deflation warning does not need resetting.  I do need to reset the Civic between winters and summers but it is borderline as it seems to take many miles to show the warning icon.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »
Thanks I've sent an enquiry off to the comapny you mention  - I'll update the forum.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 07:19:45 PM »
When we changed our Jazz for a CVt model 2015 reg EX the Jazz came with 16" alloy wheels complete with the Honda TPMS valves.
I'm now about to swop over to a set of winter Nokian tyres on steel wheels with standard valves. Apart from running with awarning light for 3/4 months any other issuing likely to arise?

I'm unfamiliar with the TPMS & hd been informed its the resetting that incurs the high cost as I did consider just purchasing 4 TPMS valves to the steel wheels.
Comments welcomed

You need specific TPMS wheels to be able to fit the TPMS sensors, this is to allow room for the valve sensor body and also compensate to the imbalance of the valve weight.

TPMS steel wheel part number is 42700-TK6-A01

olduser1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »
Its becoming more £ to convert the existing winter tyres/wheels, I'll await the replies from companies I asked for quotes.
I may end up selling the Nokian wheels tyres on the forum

olduser1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 06:42:50 PM »
The Honda TPMS sensor is £104 per wheel - need I say anymore

guest7267

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 07:01:40 PM »
I think you should visit the local tyre shop and ask the prices. I paid 20 euros for each wheel to my previous car. You could get 4 sensors less than the price of one original sensor.

All European TPMS sensors works with a 433 MHz frequency so you really don't have to use Honda original sensors. In fact there may be sensors that fit better than the originals depending on what rim you will use for the winter tyres.

olduser1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 10:34:13 PM »
Thanks Magilla, your right as I have a couple of OE spec sensors identified just awaiting developments at the local tyre depot & to confirm the actual details of having 2 sets of wheels on the Jazz ECU memory. I want to avoid a yearly £ when changing back to summer tyres etc. I'll keep the forum updated when my research is completed.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 07:05:52 PM »
The system can only memorise 4 sensors at once, but if you do put on a new set of wheels with new sensors on all you actually have to do is drive the vehicle for about a minute above 15mph and each sensor will be memorised into the system.

This process can also be done statically, but then it does need to dealers diagnostic equipment.

olduser1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 10:57:26 AM »
I'm not in the game of increasing the dealership profits, so will continue to hunt down a cheapo TPMS reader similar to the one used by fitfreaks which allows winter/summer sensor details swich over in 1 min. The best I can get on OE spec sensors runs at £150 for 4 still way to expensive, now looking around

Steve_M

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 04:17:04 PM »
I'm not in the game of increasing the dealership profits, so will continue to hunt down a cheapo TPMS reader similar to the one used by fitfreaks which allows winter/summer sensor details swich over in 1 min. The best I can get on OE spec sensors runs at £150 for 4 still way to expensive, now looking around

You don't need a TPMS reader for an EU Jazz, it has a different system to US Fit.
EU Jazz has an initiator above each wheel which will activate the sensors as you begin to drive and will then pick-up its ID.
As long as the Non-Genuine valve sensor is operating in the correct way as the Genuine one, then it will just work when the wheels are swapped.

olduser1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 11:34:13 AM »
Thats useful info I have been around all the local breakers but they only have 16" wheels @ £££'s per wheel, still on the look out for TPMS 15" set

Tags: