Author Topic: Steamed up cameras  (Read 2315 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Steamed up cameras
« on: November 05, 2017, 08:01:28 AM »
Yesterday evening, four adults onboard, the ambient temperature was about 5°C dropping to 3°C and triggering the ice alarm. I noticed that my auto main beam was not working although the dashboard indicator was on. Thirty minutes into a one hour journey we stopped at a shop and I saw that the windscreen sensors were steamed up although by this time the windscreen was clear. Although the aircon was on, I suspect was not working due to the low ambient temperature as the windscreen was lightly misted for while after starting the journey. A few minutes after the stop the auto main beam started working and when I got home the sensor misting was 90% cleared. I assume the other functions using the windscreen sensors were not working either.

I vaguely remember this being mentioned on here before but can't find it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 04:23:28 PM by Deeps »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Steamed up cameras
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:29:23 AM »
That would be me, see this:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8887.msg46392#msg46392
You were quite dismissive of the issue.

In my case the condensation in the sensor windows had actually frozen in very cold weather. I think the problem is that the air space in the sensor pod must have a small vent opening somewhere so if the atmosphere generally is moist (eg when the car is parked overnight in autumn), that moist air will get into the pod. Running the A/C makes little difference because that dehumidified air can’t get into the pod easily through the (presumably) tiny vent, the only solution is to get the whole pod warmed up in the sun. It’s poor design really, there should be a small anti-condensation heater in there, presumably Honda decided the likelihood of this occurring was so low they couldn’t justify the cost.

Edit: the handbook says you’re supposed to get a dashboard warning if these systems aren’t working, eg if the sensors are blocked. I didn’t get that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 08:34:35 AM by ColinB »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 09:31:24 AM »
Yesterday evening, four adults onboard, the ambient temperature was about 5°C dropping to 3°C and triggering the ice alarm. I noticed that my auto main beam was not working although the dashboard indicator was on. Thirty minutes into a one hour journey we stopped at a shop and I saw that the three windscreen sensors were steamed up although by this time the windscreen was clear. Although the aircon was on, I suspect was not working due to the low ambient temperature as the windscreen was lightly misted for while after starting the journey. A few minutes after the stop the auto main beam started working and when I got home the sensor misting was 90% cleared. I assume the other functions using the windscreen sensors were not working either.

Mmmm !  autonomous cars will need lots of sensors, all in peak working condition to function - so if sensors get this kind of problem the car will (certainly should) disable itself and go nowhere.  In many,  many, many years of driving in different countries I have never had my eyes steam up,  or my ears -- something to think about for fans of science fiction robot cars.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 09:41:21 PM »
The only one I've noticed is the windscreen wiper sensor. If there is condensation on the windscreen it triggers my wipers :-/

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 07:57:29 AM »
One thing that has occured to me was the occupants of the car had put their coats in the boot during the previous one hour journey and they remained in the boot for the journey when there was condensation in the sensor pod. They may have obstructed the ventilation exhaust vents in the boot door cill. This combined with the low temperature disabling the aircon could have made the interior of the car particularly humid with four breathing adults on board.

Tags:

anything