Author Topic: Air temperature when heater set to cold  (Read 7882 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Air temperature when heater set to cold
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 06:16:01 PM »
here is something I never knew before:

Most cars manufactured after 2000 have a relay that shuts off air conditioning at WOT (wide open throttle)) to ensure ample power for the engine under hard acceleration.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »
I do when needed but that engine does not have the power to spare to run air con.
This is definitely not the case. I have owned five Jazz's all with aircon. When the compressor cuts in there is no surge as can be felt in some cars and the effect on fuel consumption is neglible, if the engine couldn't manage to run the aircon that wouldn't be so.

Vic.

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 07:07:03 PM »
But are you driving a MK3 with the Atkinson cycle 1.3l engine??

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 07:10:10 PM »

My engines 100 bhp is plenty powerful enough, have you ever exceeded 4,000 revs? The engine produces its max power at 5,000 rpm. The aircon uses about 2 bhp, less than the alternator. As said above the aircon shuts off at full throttle.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:19:14 PM by Deeps »

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 07:37:18 PM »
I do when needed but that engine does not have the power to spare to run air con.

Do you honestly believe that Honda would produce a car with air conditioning and fit it with an engine that is not powerful enough to run it?

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 07:50:25 PM »
If Honda can put a hybrid engine in a car but forget to put a electric motor in then yes

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 07:58:34 PM »

My engines 100 bhp is plenty powerful enough, have you ever exceeded 4,000 revs? The engine produces its max power at 5,000 rpm. The aircon uses about 2 bhp, less than the alternator. As said above the aircon shuts off at full throttle.

I have exceeded 4000 revs and it goes like the clappers but when you want to accelerate from 30 to 40 mph you have to kick it down or click a paddle to get the revs up otherwise it just dont go and if the aircon is on at this speed you are nearly going backwards

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »
So where are all the complaints from people that have purchased a Jazz with useless air-con?

I have not seen any on here apart from yours and enough people here have bought a MK3 by now.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 08:13:31 PM »

I have exceeded 4000 revs and it goes like the clappers but when you want to accelerate from 30 to 40 mph you have to kick it down or click a paddle to get the revs up otherwise it just dont go and if the aircon is on at this speed you are nearly going backwards

Ah, the rubber band transmission. No drop it into third and floor it acceleration. :-)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 08:39:33 PM »
here is something I never knew before:

Most cars manufactured after 2000 have a relay that shuts off air conditioning at WOT (wide open throttle)) to ensure ample power for the engine under hard acceleration.

I found that out a while ago,  I think it also inhibits aircon clutch when starting engine,  but if I have aircon on I still dab the button to turn it off if I am going to overtake someone - and whether it is 'placebo' effect or not the car seems to go faster.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 08:53:01 PM »
It's either a fault or user error. My Mk3 has plenty of cooling capacity and the impact on the engine is not noticeable. I will say that the Mk1 had better cooling (it could seriously freeze the cabin) but the Mk3 in normal working operation has plenty of cooling.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »
During the 35°C heatwave my aircon was plenty adequate, the jazz was often the most comfortable place to be. I tried running my car with the aircon off yesterday,  no difference to progress but the car felt stuffy as it was a damp day. I am back to normal (for me) mode, aircon always on and temperature set to comfortable, red dot up, recirc off! :-)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:27:09 AM by Deeps »

guest5079

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 09:03:10 AM »
As the owner of a Mk2 or is it 3 as there seems to be some confusion. Whatever it is a 2010 EX I shift. I leave the air con on all the time as seems to be the recommendation. It is set at 18 dropping to 17 if it gets too stuffy.
On a cold morning run it on re circulation for a couple of miles then onto 'Normal'  To be honest, I do not find the car sluggish nor poor on acceleration. I was taught the idea is to keep the engine turning at a reasonable speed and neither let it slog nor thrash it.
Friends staying at the moment, they have a 66 plate Hyundai I20. He changes into the highest gear the engine doesn't stall at. He claims he gets 55 to the gallon. I have suggested if he let the engine rev a little he might get even better figures. A couple of days back, he turned the air con as there were four in the car and turned off as quickly as he could. Sorry, there can be no enjoyment in sitting watching the mpg gauge all the time.
After a Rover with straight air con I find the climate control works well and even on mornings were the windows mist, it doesn't take long to clear. My test to see if all is well, just put my hand in front of the vent and if it's cold all is well in my little world. There has been considerable input about climate control on the Jazz an and I understood the consensus is leave the climate control switched on all the time.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »
Sorry, there can be no enjoyment in sitting watching the mpg gauge all the time.

I totally agree, if you can't afford the fuel, use a bike or get the bus!

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »
Sorry, there can be no enjoyment in sitting watching the mpg gauge all the time.

I totally agree, if you can't afford the fuel, use a bike or get the bus!

Also agree.  Since getting my Jazz it has depreciated by double the amount I have spent on fuel.  If I worried about motoring costs then I would get a bike.

I leave my climate control on all year round and have no problem overtaking other vehicles.

Tags:

anything