Author Topic: Air temperature when heater set to cold  (Read 7880 times)

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
Air temperature when heater set to cold
« on: October 13, 2017, 05:40:08 PM »
I have the basic heater controls but I have noticed that when the heat control is set to its coldest the temperature coming out of the vents is 30c.. Thats a bit hot for me
Is this correct??
The car has recently had its 2nd service and I wondered if the pollen filter change could have caused this?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Air temperature when heater set to cold
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 05:47:34 PM »
30°C is nearer full hot temperature, could the link from the temperature control to the air blending flap been inadvertantly disconnected during the filter change? When set to full cold with the aircon off you should get air at outside ambient temperature, with the aircon on you should get air at less than 10°C. I would take it back to the dealer, if they broke it, their problem, if not it will be a warranty fix.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 05:54:08 PM by Deeps »

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 06:15:24 PM »
Im not taking it back to the dealer who did the service as they damaged the bodywork of the car without telling me.
So another dealer is willing to fix the problem as its under warranty if this temperature is wrong
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:46:27 PM by edam »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 09:16:14 AM »
I have the same model as you, and heater set to cold gives fresh external air, as Deeps says, and as with any other car.

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 03:33:12 PM »
It seems that when I,m stuck in traffic and I assume the engine is getting hotter that the cold air is no longer cold

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 04:27:31 PM »
I don't have air con, but irrespective of how long I sit in traffic, the air, when it is set to cold, continues to come in at outside ambient. The air is drawn from below the front of the windscreen, not from around the engine.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 06:09:38 PM »
It seems that when I,m stuck in traffic and I assume the engine is getting hotter that the cold air is no longer cold

There is an easy check, put your aircon on (engine running), temperature dial to full cold, if you get cold air there is nothing wrong. You should run your aircon for a while once a week to keep it in good condition. Mine is rarely off, you can get the full range of temperatures with the aircon on and the air is dehumidified.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:29:59 PM by Deeps »

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »
It looks like a 5 sec. burst of Air Con. removes the heat when using the cold setting.
Why this short burst of A/C is so effective makes me wonder if there is a build up of heat in the A/C which disperses when the A/C starts up.
I will leave it till the next service to be checked unless it gets worse

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 01:11:17 PM »
When I had my Volvo, the only time I have had air conditioning, I ran with it on constantly, summer and winter. It keeps the air in the car nice and dry and early experiments, using or not using it, made no appreciable difference to my mpg.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 02:07:31 PM »
When I had my Volvo, the only time I have had air conditioning, I ran with it on constantly, summer and winter. It keeps the air in the car nice and dry and early experiments, using or not using it, made no appreciable difference to my mpg.
I have climate control in mine and I leave it set to 18 degrees and auto during the summer. During the winter I have to override the vent control and select 'feet and screen' because Honda's programming is a bit naff. It only directs the fan to the screen for about a minute on start up then never seems to direct it there again. Consequently the screen mists up.

At least they fixed one bug with the Mk3. Doing this with the Mk2 would cause it to switch to blowing cold air after an hour. Maybe the Mk4 will actually work properly. It shouldn't be too difficult to sense the humidity on the inside of the windscreen.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »
The Volvo didn't have Climate Control (well at least on my S40 S), so it was a button for A/C on or off. Not a lot to go wrong!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »
It looks like a 5 sec. burst of Air Con. removes the heat when using the cold setting.
Why this short burst of A/C is so effective makes me wonder if there is a build up of heat in the A/C which disperses when the A/C starts up.
I will leave it till the next service to be checked unless it gets worse

Get them to tell you how to use your heating, cooling, and ventilation system. I don't think the problem is with the car.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 04:00:14 PM by Deeps »

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
I tried it again this afternoon and you just need to start the air con until the pump starts and switch it off again.
This car is the 5th Jazz I have owned and I DO KNOW HOW TO USE THE CONTROLS

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 05:51:56 PM »
So why don't you use the aircon?  And can you explain how you get a build up of heat  at the cooling end of a refrigeration system? The hot bit of it is the condenser in front of the cars radiator.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:00:21 PM by Deeps »

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 06:04:11 PM »
I do when needed but that engine does not have the power to spare to run air con.
As to why the cold end is getting hot I cant explain that but as soon as the pump/compressor starts the air cools down instantly.
The air con was not that efficient in the summer compared to my previous cars so perhaps it need recharging???
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:15:18 PM by edam »

Tags: