Author Topic: Boot lock FIXED Totally  (Read 8401 times)

guest7111

Boot lock FIXED Totally
« on: September 25, 2017, 09:02:05 PM »
Hi everyone,

I saw a fair amount about boot locks when I searched but none of it was the same as my issue. So I stripped the lock and found the the link from the motor to the lock was really worn and wasn't actually unlocking the boot. (I should have taken pics and I will once I get a new mechanism.)

I'm off to the scrappies tomorrow to see if I can get a new mechanism although I think their last Jazz might be sans boot. If that is the case I might have to investigate getting a Civic mechanism. Does anyone know if they are the same?

guest5079

• Topic Starter
Re: Boot lock FIXED (almost)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »
There is a way to check compatible parts but  it is a tad laborious I was able to find that a window winding motor switch  for a Mk2  was the same as a' Ballard'
If you Google   https://www.'parts-honda.uk  There you can find your model and look up the part number, then try the Civic, unfortunately with the Civic it is a bit hit and miss unless you know which model might have a compatible part.
I know some more knowledgeable can find the Honda  part number on Lings but I suppose being lazy the above site gives you all the models at a glance.
Just ignore the prices they seem to come from la la land.

guest7111

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:47:53 PM »
There is a way to check compatible parts but  it is a tad laborious I was able to find that a window winding motor switch  for a Mk2  was the same as a' Ballard'
If you Google   https://www.'parts-honda.uk  There you can find your model and look up the part number, then try the Civic, unfortunately with the Civic it is a bit hit and miss unless you know which model might have a compatible part.
I know some more knowledgeable can find the Honda  part number on Lings but I suppose being lazy the above site gives you all the models at a glance.
Just ignore the prices they seem to come from la la land.

I found a Jazz if the correct year in the scrappies but someone else had nicked the actuator. So I found a Civic and although the casing was the same the wiring was different.

Jazz one with two plugs.

Civic one with one plug

I opened the Civic one and it’s a motor and a micro switch so all I need to do is rewire it and bingo. Should be good to go.

Microswitch will work either way so it’s 50-50 if I get the motor the right way but I’m going to guess the wires will be the same way round. I’ll let y’all know tomorrow night if it’s a success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:58:31 PM »
Hope it goes well.

guest7111

• Topic Starter
Boot lock FIXED (almost)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:30:35 PM »
That’s it done. Ten minutes and now I have a fully functioning boot lock. I had to cut the plugs off as they were different. But a few spade connectors and it’s complete.
If you are going to do it I would suggest getting the whole locking mechanism as the bolts are slightly smaller. It just saves you drilling the holes in the actuator bigger.

But happy days.

guest7154

• Topic Starter
Re: Boot lock FIXED Totally
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 12:03:50 PM »
I'm fighting with the bootlock issue as well now.

05 Jazz, the tailgate handle is totally rusted, I tried oil but it is stuck beyond and I actually have to remove it, clean it up and put it back.

Also the lock actuator has issues, does not  pull back fully into an open position, so I guess I have to open it up.

Anyone had luck actually fixing up the boot lock without replacing it?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

guest7111

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 12:17:46 PM »
I tried to fix the actuator but the one on my 55 plate Jazz was fully glued and broke when I tried to open it up. The Civic one was screwed (not in the same way as the Jazz one  :D ) so I could open it.

I found that the wee bit which moves the lock to the open position was really worn and wobbling about on the Jazz and that's why it wouldn't open. It doesn't appear to be replaceable and for six quid at a breakers I would say it's much easier to replace the whole unit.

But once I had it off the actual lock and the rear panel was off I could just reach in and lock or unlock the boot, which was an improvement for a while  8)

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 12:23:47 PM »
I guess the sticking handle has strained the actuator so that the wear is now too bad to move the mechanism fully in to place.  Sounds like the advice above to replace the whole item is sound, but do ensure your handle is moving freely.  I'm off to a scrapyard at the weekend as a relative has cracked their front bumper so will look out for a Jazz tailgate lock if possible.
--
TG

guest7154

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »
I guess the sticking handle has strained the actuator so that the wear is now too bad to move the mechanism fully in to place.  Sounds like the advice above to replace the whole item is sound, but do ensure your handle is moving freely.  I'm off to a scrapyard at the weekend as a relative has cracked their front bumper so will look out for a Jazz tailgate lock if possible.
--
TG
I will not bother opening up then, I will just try and look for a replacement.

TG You're a legend mate, if you come across anything like that, I will be eternally greatful.

guest7111

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 12:28:45 PM »
--
TG
I will not bother opening up then, I will just try and look for a replacement.

TG You're a legend mate, if you come across anything like that, I will be eternally greatful.

The Civic ones with three screws holding them on fit just fine if there’s no Jazz ones. Ignore the fact the plug is different. It’s still four wires and just needs a wee bit of fettling.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
@Lat0r
I now have the mechanism from a crashed 2005 Jazz, the complete latch + actuator.  Worked with the handle OK but there was no car battery power to test the powered locking but looks clean and free moving.  They charged me £5+v, it's likely under 2kg so can dispatch it via one of the cheap parcel2go services.

Once you reach 10 posts PM me and I'll arrange to send it.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest7154

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
@Lat0r
I now have the mechanism from a crashed 2005 Jazz, the complete latch + actuator.  Worked with the handle OK but there was no car battery power to test the powered locking but looks clean and free moving.  They charged me £5+v, it's likely under 2kg so can dispatch it via one of the cheap parcel2go services.

Once you reach 10 posts PM me and I'll arrange to send it.
--
TG
Seriously?   Wow.   I'm speechless mate.     Thanks

Tags:

anything