Author Topic: Automatic Headlights in bad weather.  (Read 5900 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Automatic Headlights in bad weather.
« on: September 19, 2017, 03:09:12 PM »
There has been a discussion about this before (got a bit heated if I remember!) Anyway, my Jazz does not put the lights on in bad weather - it does put the lights on in good weather late in the day when it is not required. If you look on the internet you will see loads of stuff on similar lines. It's not a Honda thing - it applies to most brands. These things are fine in terms of night and day but borderline useless/dangerous in bad weather unless the driver has the nous to use manual operation.

I noticed on two recent trips in really bad weather - the Woodhead Pass over the Pennines this Sunday and the A30 down in Cornwall 10 days ago - a lot of cars driving without lights, much more than usual and I wonder if this is a dangerous side effect of automatic lights (although daytime running lights on newer cars help). People just don't think to switch them on.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Automatic Headlights in bad weather.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 03:55:07 PM »
My car has auto headlights but it is a 2011 model wherein you can turn the auto headlights off.
Simply put the auto function does not put the headlights when I would, rain, mist, fog and generally poor visibility so I operate with the auto function turned off.
I assume that many drivers with auto headlights selected assume that they are on in poor visibility conditions.
Another point about lighting, it is becoming quite common to see cars that have DRL's without lights on on well lit roads at night. This means that they have no rear lights.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 03:58:24 PM »
The new Jazz, I had on loan, had the lights set for automatic, and I was surprised to find they came on as I passed though an avenue of trees even though it was a bright sunny day. As if the "change" of light has an effect, not just the level of light.
Regarding DRL, I think lots of drivers just assume they are adequate in low visibility. What troubles me is the number of cars you come upon, in town, after dark, with no tail lights on. You then find they have their DRLs on and their instruments are lit up. They think they have their lights on. Maybe they have automatic lights and have inadvertently  disabled them, or they have just not come on.
What is wrong with just switching your lights on manually. As motorists have done for 100 years. And switching your wipers on when it rains. As we have been doing for 114 years.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 03:59:13 PM »
Snap!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
I noticed on two recent trips in really bad weather - the Woodhead Pass over the Pennines this Sunday and the A30 down in Cornwall 10 days ago - a lot of cars driving without lights, much more than usual and I wonder if this is a dangerous side effect of automatic lights (although daytime running lights on newer cars help). People just don't think to switch them on.

There are lots of side effects of automating things,  as USA has discovered accidents have risen quite markedly since automation started appearing in cars (about 15% more),  the sad fact is that the less you expect humans to do - the less they do,  whether through ignorance or laziness.   I used to travel about 40 miles each way to work,  early and late in the day was always shocked to come up behind cars with no rear lights on,  their DRL's had fooled them.

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/as-robots-take-the-wheel-driving-skills-begin-to-hit-the-skids

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/motor-mouth-people-can-still-drive-better-than-computers-when-we-want-to

and on the subject of human multi-tasking
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jan/18/modern-world-bad-for-brain-daniel-j-levitin-organized-mind-information-overload
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 04:40:56 PM »
Let's not start this again.

What is wrong with just switching your lights on manually. As motorists have done for 100 years. And switching your wipers on when it rains. As we have been doing for 114 years.

In any case they come on with the wipers.

guest4871

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 05:31:06 PM »
Let's not start this again.

In any case they come on with the wipers.

The problem is that the more things that are automated, the more the human being is required to sort them out........... like satellite navigation systems sending high volumes of cars down country lanes that have passing places only.

If driverless cars need to read road signage, then there is going to be a growth (!) industry in hedge trimming around here.

And could someone please invent white lines you can see on the road in rain.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 06:46:57 PM »

Like badly maintained roads white lines are something else that many councils are not renewing in a bid to save money.
Probably the same councils who have a large surplus of cash that they seem to think indicates efficiency.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 06:55:17 PM »

Like badly maintained roads white lines are something else that many councils are not renewing in a bid to save money.
Probably the same councils who have a large surplus of cash that they seem to think indicates efficiency.

Vic.

Yeah,  but zzaj makes a valid point, autonomous cars will need to see the white lines and maybe read the signs so with present state of our roads they are gonna have a hard time.  I have read of cases of AV on test hitting barriers or suddenly veering onto other side of the road when the white lane markers were not clearly visible.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 09:19:31 PM »
I read about one local authority actually considering removing white lines and cats eyes on some rural roads to save money.

Auto headlights would indeed explain the increase in cars driving without headlights in poor conditions, I hadn't really given it much thought, but it's definitely the case. Now what about all these cars driving around with one headlight? That's something you rarely used to see...

...and what's with driving around with front fog lights on all the time?

Don't get me going.  >:(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:21:47 PM by sparky Paul »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 10:41:09 PM »
ColinS said that the lights and wipers come on together.
Mine have never done that.
May I suggest that you get yours checked out by Honda.
They are two separate circuits and NOT interlinked.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »
ColinS said that the lights and wipers come on together.
Mine have never done that.
May I suggest that you get yours checked out by Honda.
They are two separate circuits and NOT interlinked.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Once the wipers have done about 3 or 4 swipes of the screen, within a limited time, Then the lights come on.  They are interlinked, at least on my EX.  It's in the handbook somewhere.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 09:13:10 AM »
Once the wipers have done about 3 or 4 swipes of the screen, within a limited time, Then the lights come on.  They are interlinked, at least on my EX.  It's in the handbook somewhere.

I hope that the so many sweeps of the wiper thing is still somehow linked to the light sensor -  otherwise some software Geek thought it was maybe a good idea that when you are cleaning crap off your screen with wipers in bright sun your headlights would come on - perfect  :o  Every time I read things like that about automating cars it makes me realise how truly superior the human brain is (when applied LOL) to any AI.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 09:25:25 AM »
From the Honda Fit 2016 manual.

The headlights automatically come on when the wipers are used several times within
a certain intervals with the headlight switch in AUTO.
The headlights automatically go off a few minutes later if the wipers are stopped.

guest5079

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
Peteo48 found the good ol Cornish mist confounds the auto headlights, it caught me out when I first bought the car.
As to the white lines not being replaced by some local authorities, here in both Devon and Cornwall they have removed the central white line any where there is road narrowing. So in the lanes you will suddenly be aware NO white lines. Almost inevitably at the same time a flipping great tractor will come into view filling the road. I suppose it makes one aware that the road is only wide enough for that bloke bigger than you.  I have noticed an increase in painting a solid white line along the edge, which I believe is meant that you must not stop. In some of our roads the chance would be a good thing they are too flipping narrow.
Has anyone noticed the plethora of road markings that appear to be unique to the local authority you have the misfortune to be driving through.

Tags: