Author Topic: air con problem  (Read 2527 times)

yasir152

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
air con problem
« on: September 05, 2017, 05:26:42 PM »
Hi

I recently purchased a 2004 Honda Jazz and found the Air Con needed re-gassing. I regassing at ATS Euromaster and after two weeks the air con has stopped working again. I took it back to ATS and they said there must probably be a leak somewhere. Strange thing is that when I press the AirCon button the light turns on and you can hear the AirCon working but no cold air is coming out. Do you think its the Condensor (not sure if this is right term for the radiator type unit) as I had a Honda Civic 2006 reg which needed this replacing. I would have thought that since the air con is making a sound this appears to be working.

CRC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 1.4 SE Manual
Re: air con problem
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »
It's normally a leak somewhere.

The fact that it worked for a couple of weeks tells you that the system is capable of working, but if it has no gas (ie no refrigerant) then it's just going to be compressing air, and unfortunately, that doesn't work.

The leak could be anywhere ... sometimes in the condenser (looks like a radiator) and sometimes it leaks from the seal of the compressor shaft.  A second hand compressor might work, but the seal may be leaky on that one?

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:14:37 AM »
Unfortunately the light on the button only shows that the button is working, the button triggers a relay which powers the compressor clutch wired inline with a pressure switch.

It is quite likely that there is a leak and the pressure switch has gone open circuit due to below minimum pressure.  You can just about reach the pressure switch behind the plastic wheel arch liner on the offside, although it's easier to remove the wheel and trim completely.  A multimeter across the contacts can tell you either way. 
An alternative is to check the 5 pole pin A/C cabin switch on pin 2 blue wire for 5V while the ignition is on, if it's not there then you have less than minimum refrigerant pressure.
--
TG

yasir152

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 04:46:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I took it to a mechanic and it is indeed a leak in the condensor unit therefore will need to replace this. I've had a couple of quotes - £250 and 350 which are excessive as I can get the Condensor unit for around £70 and then get a mechanic to fit for around £100.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 05:13:19 PM »
Was the leak caused by a stone hitting the condenser ?  Honda protection of engine radiator and aircon condenser is absolutely non-existent - most car makers put a decent mesh in the bumper to stop stones.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything