Author Topic: Best Insurances for Jazz?  (Read 15392 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Best Insurances for Jazz?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2017, 06:20:50 PM »
Sparkypaul is 100% correct over auto renewal - companies rely on people being either too busy or too lazy to check details and problem is that a lot get ripped off,  I thought it was now law (or at least best practice) for insurance companies to state on renewal what the premium was last year ( as from April 2017).

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/insurance/2016/08/insurers-forced-to-reveal-price-changes-in-renewal-letters-from-next-april

@auntneddy. When you cancelled DD was it by letter ? I always write to bank and confirm I want a DD stopped and put date of last payment I will allow from the DD, when some companies get ars3y I cancel any DD I am paying them and wait till they squeal,  then they get the message and start to talk sense,  a DD is an instruction from you to bank to pay,  not a licence for a supplier or company to extract money from your account.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:14:11 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2017, 08:58:55 PM »
DD is an instruction from you to bank to pay,  not a licence for a supplier or company to extract money from your account.

That description is more appropriate for a standing order.  A DDM is pretty much a licence for the the supplier to extract money, but of course this should be in accordance with your contract with the supplier and there is the direct debit guarantee.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2017, 10:12:01 PM »
DD is an instruction from you to bank to pay,  not a licence for a supplier or company to extract money from your account.

That description is more appropriate for a standing order.  A DDM is pretty much a licence for the the supplier to extract money, but of course this should be in accordance with your contract with the supplier and there is the direct debit guarantee.

You are right,  there is a fine line between standing order and DD but the company still has to tell you in advance how much they will take every time,  and you can cancel a DD at any time and then fight it out from a better position (ie they don't get access to your money till you say so again).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 09:41:15 AM »
A standing order is nothing more than a repeating bank transfer. You are responsible for starting, stopping, repeat interval and how much. The payee has no control whatsoever.

A Direct Debt is an authorisation to a third party to take regular payments, the payee has full control of the payment dates and amount taken... although as said above, they must notify you of any changes in advance. The only thing you can do is stop the instruction completely which stops all future payments, or invoke the Direct Debit Guarantee to recall any payments taken in error.

guest5079

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2017, 11:55:26 AM »
Sorry to get you all going: Firstly it was a Direct Debit. I personally went into my local Barclays and cancelled the D/D in early  July allowing a couple of weeks for the change. D/D to EDF went out circa 18th of each month.  I asked if there was anything more for me to do and I was told no.
It came to light on our August monthly statement that a payment had been made by the bank to EDF on 18th JULY, again went into bank ( not easy as they are not open every day). Explained to teller who confirmed that the D/D had NOT been cancelled. She cancelled it. Bank apologised and told me any problems they would deal with it. EDF sent us  a letter TWO days later confirming the D/D cancelled this also included the message that our electricity would be more expensive as we had cancelled the D/D.  I have written to EDF with all of my calculations and asking why NO final statement. A bit difficult to work out as EDF credited our electricity account with a payment 7 days prior to it appearing on the bank statement, so I have no idea what they are playing at. When we changed supplier, EDF sent a letter saying how sorry we were going and that was in JUNE. At the time of change our D/D was going to be increased from £130 to £160 per month, second increase in a couple of months, by EDF . What really started me thinking about change was EDF telling me my D/D was going up to £170 per mth, despite a letter  received by  them telling them NOT to increase it  5 days before they did increase it to £170. Hence change. New firm started from 23rd June at £118 per month, just had the second reading already a tad  under £60 in credit. I know winter will whack it up BUT the new firm had the previous years readings and they gave me this deal until October 2018. Yes the Ombudsman will be involved if EDF prevaricate much more. All the years we have had to deal with EDF has been nothing but problems. Who said changing suppliers was easy? Perhaps EDF should be told this.Sorry if a bit complicated but it has really tweaked my IRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Piggin French.

guest5079

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 11:57:15 AM »
I am sorry I meant to say thank you for the interest and suggestions.
It is now a case of waiting to see what EDF come up with next. One of the letters told me I was nearly £500 in credit, perhaps thy all speak French at EDF.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2017, 02:31:44 PM »
When we changed supplier, EDF sent a letter saying how sorry we were going and that was in JUNE. At the time of change our D/D was going to be increased from £130 to £160 per month, second increase in a couple of months, by EDF . What really started me thinking about change was EDF telling me my D/D was going up to £170 per mth, despite a letter  received by  them telling them NOT to increase it  5 days before they did increase it to £170. Hence change. New firm started from 23rd June at £118 per month, just had the second reading already a tad  under £60 in credit. I know winter will whack it up BUT the new firm had the previous years readings and they gave me this deal until October 2018. Yes the Ombudsman will be involved if EDF prevaricate much more. All the years we have had to deal with EDF has been nothing but problems. Who said changing suppliers was easy? Perhaps EDF should be told this.Sorry if a bit complicated but it has really tweaked my IRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Piggin French.

Your problem is almost exact copy of problem I had with BG over 10 years ago,  they suddenly bumped up DD (almost doubled it) even though I was in credit,  I wrote them a nice letter asking why they had done it, and why they thought I would want to leave dead money in their bank account and wait for a yearly refund and gave them 2 weeks to contact me to justify it,  they didn't get back so I cancelled DD and switched to NP,  I then got a letter from BG saying it was an accounting mistake,  they would revert back to my original DD amount and I could still stay with them if I wanted to FAT CHANCE.  Then a few years later NP did the same trick (seems like a thing all the big 6 do LOL).  I have been with CoOperative energy now for over 6 years and the difference between them and the big 6 is startling, for starters I saved over £400 a year by switching from NP and  they actually apologised for recently raising my DD by £3 a month.

guest5079

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 11:56:12 AM »
Update on the  EDF sage. Delay is my fault as I didn't give them the meter reading they asked for it.
Now 10 weeks into the saga, who said changing was simple.

guest5079

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2017, 12:07:46 PM »
About 2 hrs after posting the last, the post brought 2 more letters from EDF.
One was a sort of apology, the type you get from organisations and government. We have taken steps to ensure the failings you have experienced will not happen again blah blah.
The second was the final statement and a cheque for money i had overpaid.
So the EDF saga dies after nearly 11 weeks.
Thank you all for your support and suggestions, especially as it definitely Off Honda.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2017, 11:33:00 PM »
So the EDF saga dies after nearly 11 weeks.

Smashing. At least that's all sorted.

guest5079

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 02:11:57 PM »
Sorry I really did think it was the end of it.
WRONG another TWO letters arrived! Although one did contain a cheque for £50 compensation.
How much did this little episode cost EDF customers?
I promise NO MORE EDF

guest5079

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2017, 03:38:09 PM »
I did promise but then I thought that EDF had stopped sending letters.
 >:( WRONG another one arrived telling me they are trying to sort my complaint and it will take a bit longer.
I am tempted to write and suggest their computer has an oil change. IT needs something. Either that or they have lots of people in different offices trying to out do one another on the amount of paper they can use.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2017, 09:40:43 PM »
You never know, you might get another 50 quid! :P

If it's anything like the generation side of EDF, anything is possible.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2017, 11:43:22 AM »
£282.55 with Esure, 36 year old male, six years NCB plus legal & NCB protection.

One problem that can catch you out with renewing your insurance is over obtaining proof of NCB. I think it was Martin Lewis on his TV programme that suggested renewing your insurance as early as possible to get the best deal - fine, but some insurers want NCB proof within a few weeks and some won't release it until after the current policy has ended.

guest5079

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »
Sorry to keep banging on about my Insurers BUT they sent the proof of NCB with the renewal. I was surprised that they went back 22 yrs and yes that is the most I can prove  a NCB. That must have been when I first insured with them. I am surprised that my incident with a police vehicle in 1978 was not recorded???????????? But then for a bit of levity, it wasn't on a road, it was in a field. Sheep worrying, trying to catch the 'B' dogs when I didn't notice the ditch. Full view of the road a Ford Van marked in Police colours sitting on it's bum.
That was good for a bit of ragging.

Tags:

anything