Author Topic: Replacement keys  (Read 3711 times)

DesmoDan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 jazz se cvt ge38
Replacement keys
« on: August 14, 2017, 10:12:56 PM »
Hi all .
Just picked up my new(ish) ride , but only got one key .  :(
2008 model , it's got a flat key with 2 buttons on .
Is this the sort of thing that a good locksmith can cut and can it be coded or do I have to take it in to Honda ?

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
Re: Replacement keys
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 12:24:42 AM »
My local lock guy told me they need a laser guided cutter.
The local timpsons guy had one but refuses to do them.

You would need to get it coded to your car. There is sometimes a way to do it with ignition on and off etc.

I don't have a spare either, theese days I have learnt to forget about it. My insurance covers a new key and I have breakdown cover.
In theory if the key snapped you can still easily hotwire it as the key still has transposer to disable immobiliser.

DesmoDan

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 08:04:08 AM »
Your better half must be a lot more understanding than mine . I can only imagine the fallout if I said she had to Hotwire the car .  ???
As for your timpsons guy , that's why I said a GOOD locksmith . Not someone who's been given a load of expensive gear that they don't have a clue how to use . Sign of the times I'm afraid .

guest1372

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 09:24:15 AM »
The remote locking can be paired yourself (switch on-off-click x3 etc.), but the key's ID46 chip number must be added to the immobiliser memory.  This requires an automotive locksmith or the dealer (someone with Honda HDS software).  You can now also get tools and blank rewrite-able chips that enable someone to clone an existing ID46 chip avoiding the need to program the car.
--
TG

DesmoDan

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »
I went down to Gaurdian Security in Exeter today , they said they can cut and code a new key with remote for £120 and that it would take about 20-25 minutes . 
I went into Honda just out of interest they said it would take between 6-8 weeks for the key to arrive and that it would be £258  :o
Think I'll be going down the non genuine route .

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 05:36:26 PM »
Well someone's got to pay for the comfy chair, carpet and coffee machine in the Honda dealer's showroom DesmoDan. ;)

DesmoDan

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 07:47:53 PM »
I'd want to take the comfee chair and the coffee machine home with me for that .
I know dealers have massive overheads these days , but that's almost 10% of what I paid for the car .

guest7111

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 11:55:15 PM »
Whenever I've needed another key, although this is my first Honda, I've picked up an ecu, transponder and central locking unit from a breaker at half the price

Tags: