Author Topic: Mobile phone holder  (Read 10612 times)

Clifford65

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz ex 2017
Mobile phone holder
« on: August 11, 2017, 05:05:05 PM »
Hi ..I have a 2017 model Honda jazz ...the trouble I'm having is finding a phone holder for the car that fits onto the vents .. I'd prefer a vent mounted holder as I don't really want anything on the windscreen or on the dash ... the problem is the air vents in the jazz have a chrome effect on them ...which makes them thicker ...and harder to find a vent mount that can grip on ... I have even tried a belkin vent mount at £20 but struggled to get that to grip to the middle part of the vents ...as I want to use the phone in landscape mode at times for use as a sat nav ...I'm using a iPhone 6 Plus ...any advice much appreciated ..thanks

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Mobile phone holder
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 06:07:52 PM »
I have a Brodit device holder which I have attached to the vertical separator between the center vents with hot melt glue. I use it for my Tomtom satnav, it provides an absolutely solid vibration free mounting. When the time comes to remove it a drop of surgical spirit (alcohol) will  release the bond.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:52:38 PM by Deeps »

trevflstn

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 07:49:38 PM »
I have a 2016 Jazz which has the cd player fitted. I use a phone mount that locks into the cd slot as i use the usb input for music. Works great on Samsung Note sized phones.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:14:18 PM »
I have a 2016 Jazz which has the cd player fitted. I use a phone mount that locks into the cd slot as i use the usb input for music. Works great on Samsung Note sized phones.

My works van has the same. It is excellent.

Clifford65

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz ex 2017
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »
My Honda jazz ex doesn't have a CD player ....it's only 2 weeks old ... the sales rep did tell me ..that the updated Honda connect has shrunk in size from 7 inch to 6 inch but it is more resonsive and now has volume buttons and home buttons instead of touch type and USB connections on the head unit ...and no longer has a CD player as they are gradually being phased out over all the models .... so nice idea about using a cd type mount for phone but without a CD player it is not possible ..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:21:46 AM by Clifford65 »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 05:27:11 PM »
I have one of these:

https://m.alibaba.com/guide/shop/ultimateaddons-air-vent-swivel-car-kit-mount-holder-for-htc-sensation-smart-phone_4907057.html

Bought several years ago on Amazon but no longer available. It slips from side to side a bit on the vent over time but doesn't fall off. In fact the big problem came when I sold my last Jazz and had to struggle to unclip it.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 08:45:33 AM »
If neither the air vent or the CD option is practical, another option is the driver's side cup-holder. I use one of these ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YLREM2U/
... but other similar devices are available. You can bend the long neck to position the phone to be easily accessible for nav purposes without obstructing any vents or visibility. Just be careful not to over-tighten the base in the cup-holder.

You can also get flat-topped cup-holder mounts to take a bigger suction mount if your phone is too big for the jaws on that one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Suction-Mounted-Android-Smartphones-Windscreen/dp/B007IVZX6K/

botio

• Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 12:09:47 PM »
The best I ever used is this one: http://amzn.eu/5SKmwWr
it's cheap, holds the phone very well and it's very easy to put and remove the phone with one hand.

pb82gh3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC Si
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 12:34:24 PM »
I made a TomTom satnav holder with a lollipop shaped piece of perspex embedded in quick setting cement moulded to the shape of the drivers side cup holder. I bored out some of the cement to reduce weight and strain on the cupholder, but leaving enough weight for it to be very stable. I wrapped the cement in thin polythene to avoid marking the cupholder. This works well, but at night there is a reflection of the screen in the drivers door mirror. Next stage is either angle the screen or an L shaped piece of card attached to the right hand side of the TomTom.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 01:20:47 PM »
I can not tolerate anything that moves or vibrates when attached to the dashboard. I have a CD slot mount which vibrated when tried in my last two cars and I have not tried it in the Jazz. For any DIY capable folk some plumbing fittings are made of ABS plastic which can be solvent welded and painted black. They can be easily cut up and all manner of repairs and devices can be made. Hot melt glue can be used to semi permanently attach stuff to the car, my garage door remote control and satnav mount for example.

Tags:

anything