Author Topic: Hybrid  (Read 3012 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
Hybrid
« on: August 09, 2017, 02:12:30 PM »
Hi

Anyone got a Jazz Hybrid ? just read quite a glowing report on these. I have an i-shift 2010 and love the flappy paddles (never use auto its crap) does the CVT box with paddles work the same ?? The review sites say they are a waist of time.

Mike

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 02:17:24 PM »
Don't believe everything you read, the majority of reviewers don't know how to drive a CVT let alone how to use the paddles.
I have had a mk1 jazz CVT and now have a mk3 CVT .
The only way to be sure is to have a test drive yourself.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 02:26:47 PM »
Hi

Is it any different from the i-shift when using the paddles ??

mike

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 03:39:36 PM »
The simple answer to your question is that the paddles work exactly the same way in that you change gear manually when using them.
Reports have it that the paddles are much more useful in the i-shift version because of the way the i-shift gear box works in that it is an automatically changed manual gearbox whereas the CVT is a stepless,smooth gearbox.
In my opinion the paddles are not needed in a Jazz, it is not a sports car and the money could have been spent elsewhere on the car.
The CVT gearbox is easily controlled by use of the throttle pedal and use of the 'S' mode.

Vic.

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
Hi Vic

I disagree, I love the paddle shift, so easy and YOU determine when to change gear, tried the CVT and don't like it. I'm no 'boy racer' but this car is a joy.

mike

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:30:11 PM »
220,000 in my hybrid Jazz, and not used the paddle shift for more than 2 minutes. CVT is basically one gear, floor it :)

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:01:28 PM »
You see, you don't need to 'floor it', change when you want. Cnt beat it'

mike

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 10:30:45 PM »
I can't wait, to buy my new Mk3, next year......

My previous car was a Yaris cvt, with paddles. Absolute magic, for positive retardation, down our local hills.

My present Jazz cvt, doesn't have the paddles. I still miss them. Even after two years.
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

guest5079

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 02:18:01 PM »
Yesterday, an appointment was a problem as our main road was closed again for the council to do remedial work after closing the road for 5 weeks to do the job previously. I left early expecting a 20 mile detour only to find the road was open. So I had a nice leisurely drive just letting my I shift box get on with it. What a nice pleasant experience, smooth changes and a the world at it's best.
Now what on earth has this to do with the question, not a lot.
Flappy paddles I will defend. At Fraddon when joining the A30 eastwards there is no run in, so I approach in 2nd and using the flappy paddles I go into 2nd manual. If I use the gear lever it seems to always drop a cog. By controlling 2nd I can get a move on and make sure I do not hamper any one.
Flappy paddles are also useful on hills when the software in the box decides it is in economy mode and the box doesn't want to change down.
So chaps and chappesses I am an I shift convert but know nothing about Hybrids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 03:03:23 PM »

My previous car was a Yaris cvt, with paddles. Absolute magic, for positive retardation, down our local hills.

My present Jazz cvt, doesn't have the paddles. I still miss them. Even after two years.

Just slightly off topic but what did you think of the Yaris and how does it compare to the Jazz?

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »

Just slightly off topic but what did you think of the Yaris and how does it compare to the Jazz?

Essentially. They were the "same" car.

The Yaris engine was much more torquey. Pulled better, at low rpm. 1100rpm at 40mph, up a regular, local hill.
 The Jazz needs 1400, for the same speed. It is a much more "busy" engine, at all speeds. Not as economical.

Seven, sequential gears, on the stick, or paddles. I only played tunes, a couple of times......

Sport mode, was a low profile button. On the console, somewhere down the side of driver's seat. Very hard to find, quickly.

I got fed up, with bashing the mirrors against my carport and garage. Swapped for the Jazz, with it's electric folders. But, no rear view camera, or paddles!
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Tags:

anything