Author Topic: Heat shields  (Read 2235 times)

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
Heat shields
« on: August 09, 2017, 10:06:18 AM »
Hello all,

I just got to work and noticed that there was a rattle from the car.... Great I already have a silly amount of bulls right now.

So I had a quick look under the car and it looks like the heat shield that is below the drivers door had rotted through at the place where a bolt hole is.

The question is how can I fix this nice and easily and cheaply right now. I am going away on sat and I only have Friday off work to try and get it sorted.

Any suggedtions?

Jem.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Heat shields
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »
Can you use a big flat washer?

Jem

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 01:39:59 PM »
I have had another good look and it's broken around the bolt. I have managed to find some metal to act as a big washer. If I can get the bolt off.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:51:55 PM »
 I had a look under mine, at lunch time, and there is no heat shield over the middle box! There is one above the cat, but the second one has obviously been removed, sometime in the distant past.

guest4871

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »
If you look on Youtube you should find lots of examples of how to put a large circular clip around a heat shield.

The best solution may be to get a garage to weld the joint (whether they can do this may depend on what the rust damage is ) ...........or buy a new heat shield (I don't think they are very very expensive).

guest1372

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 12:08:01 PM »
I have galvanised fencing wire wrapped round one end of my cat shield as the bolt corner had rusted through.  Caused a light rattle while decelerating down through 2000rpm.  Been through 3 MOTs since without comment.
--
TG

Tags: