Author Topic: Hot rear right hand brake (possible binding)  (Read 9536 times)

guest5876

Re: Hot rear right hand brake (possible binding)
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 08:19:44 PM »
Makes sense now. Thanks for the picture. It's a massive help. A picture to the word. So those ears might explain. Why I'm getting that shiny bit on the very inner of the disc then. Looking at the pads they are looking very thin. The rears weren't that long ago done.... Nine months also.

Where would I file the ears down... On the edges as you look at the picture you have provided? Or on the pad friction side?

I think what I will do is get another set of rear pads and do both again.

So your also saying from previous posts that I cannot remove the slide pins in situ.... One at a time, lab them and refit them? Those pins do they also act as bolts. I ask as I can't see much else of the calliper.

Many thanks

Ryan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 10:33:50 AM »
Hi Footfistart

Basically you have to file the ears a little where the surface rubs/slides against the calliper so as they rust or become clogged with road dirt they don't jam. It's not a big filing exercise, usually not much more than removing the paint and going back to a shiny surface. Make sure they have a decent lubricant where you have filed, I use copper slip but others use other items, sometimes  I use a proper brake grease. That that is to stop the now filed pad ears rusting. If you think how far a pad slides 1 mm or so when it is pushed hard against the disk. They only move with wear otherwise.

If you just removed the 2 x 12mm spanner size bolts to change the pads, do that again, remove the bit of the caliper that is freed out of the way and you have access to the slide pins and gaiters. Some manufacturers allow you do it by loosening them both, taking one out and swinging the caliper part out of the way but I don't think a Jazz lets you do it, to closely coupled. It is honestly very simple and you might as well take both out. I loosen the rubber gaiter with fingers and then can pull the pin out, I leave the gaiter attached to the calliper. I clean the guide pin to remove the old grease and put new grease on it, then just slide it back home. I find pushing it unto the rubber boot is concertinaed back fully slides it onto the collar of the pin and it's done.
That works for me :)

guest5876

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 02:02:47 PM »
So I've adjusted the rear handbrake and so far so good the temperature is almost identical to the rear left. So I think I'm on to a winner. Only now I think I should replace the pads. While I'm there I'll pull the sliders out, clean them and grease them. Then hopefully I should have anymore problems.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

guest5876

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 07:29:44 PM »
Update:

Hot brake 1:handbrake adjustment nil.

So I've done around 350miles and it was alright for the first 200 also and then I stArted to feel heat and once again my mpg started to drop. I've got a feeling it's a sticky caliper but I will put it apart.... do the slide bolts as doing this I won't disturb the brake fluid and have to do a bleed. And if this doesn't work then ilk replace the caliper

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 07:09:51 AM »
Update:

Hot brake 1:handbrake adjustment nil.

So I've done around 350miles and it was alright for the first 200 also and then I stArted to feel heat and once again my mpg started to drop. I've got a feeling it's a sticky caliper but I will put it apart.... do the slide bolts as doing this I won't disturb the brake fluid and have to do a bleed. And if this doesn't work then ilk replace the caliper

Bear in mind when slackening the slide pin bolts that the bolt screws into the end of the slide pin that while turning the bolt the slide pin can also turn,  there are some flats or a hexagon on the slide pin (around 17mm), just where the rubber concertina gaiter ends,  the area for a spanner is not very wide and I used a bicycle spanner (only about 4 mm thick) to hold the pin - also make sure when re-tightening the bolt that you hold the pin as otherwise the gaiter can get twisted - you can get a normal width spanner in if you can push the gaiter out of the way,  but it can be tight and I never wanted to risk damaging the rubber gaiter.   Smear some Ceratec or TRW brake grease on the pin,  do not be tempted to push any grease down the hole where the pin slides into caliper body as the hole is a dead end and if too much grease gets in there it will not compress and escape like air (you will notice are some flats running the length of the pin, sometimes only 1 but may be 3 flats) this is to allow air to escape when pin is pushed in).   Take the pins out one at a time as sometimes top and bottom pins are different,  on some brakes the bottom pin may have a rubber seal attached.   You need to use 'rubber friendly' non-petroleum based high temperature grease,  normal petroleum based grease will swell the seals and gaiters and degrade them.

inspect the pins for wear,  if you think they are damaged new ones can be bought from

www.brakesint.co.uk 

for specific Honda Jazz bits (same site)

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/HONDA/JAZZ

(Brakes International,  based in Rochdale)  for less than £10 for one caliper set (2 pins, 2 new bolts with threadlock painted on, new gaiters and a sachet of brake grease)  I have used them,  they sell Bremtech brand and from the contents of the kit look quality and are good value (the brake grease alone can cost a bit,  and you don't need much so why buy a separate tube ?)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:06:21 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5876

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 10:28:22 PM »
I'm thinking about getting a new caliper to save the time and hassle as I don't want to keep going under the car making adjustments and all that. But because the pads and now bugger all and also today it was making a howling sort of noise from the rear so I thing there is no meat left on the pads at all now and every time I press the brakes I can feel the piston not retracting and dragging on the rear. I saw a video to how to strip and rebuild them and I was going to pull the pins out and and sort them but I think it's more hassle than its worth.

As I'll be replacing the caliper ill need to bleed the brakes. Unfortunately I don't have a one man kit as I want to change the fluid also. While I'm there I think I'll just replace the discs and pads in both sides as ikl only get uneven wear and could possibly fail an mot.

How do I know what type of brake fluid is already in there. The car is a cvt so j have no idea if the clutch shares the fluid? I don't think it does.

The car is due a service anyways so it will all be done at once.

Ryan

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 08:09:11 AM »
Dot 4 brake fluid.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 10:30:43 AM »
As I'll be replacing the caliper ill need to bleed the brakes. Unfortunately I don't have a one man kit as I want to change the fluid also. While I'm there I think I'll just replace the discs and pads in both sides as ikl only get uneven wear and could possibly fail an mot.

How do I know what type of brake fluid is already in there. The car is a cvt so j have no idea if the clutch shares the fluid? I don't think it does.

The car is due a service anyways so it will all be done at once.

Ryan

Brake fluid is specific to brakes,  it is not shared with CVT.  Brake fluid in the Jazz is DOT 4 (department of transport  type 4),  don't use any other as it will trash your brakes.   You can get synthetic DOT 4 which is more expensive but better quality.

You must be an optimist thinking brake fluid will be changed at service LOL    It is possible to bleed brakes by the simple method of putting a container under the wheel and opening the bleed nipple and let the old fluid drain out,  takes a long time and you have to make sure reservoir does not get empty (that is a whole new can of worms you just opened) - but it can be done.  I use a MityVac device to suck fluid through,  but you have to wrap something around the thread on nipple to prevent air being drawn in past the thread when you are bleeding (it only gets drawn into fluid you are taking out,  not into the brake system) which makes bleeding longer,  in the past I have used 'O' rings and also Teflon plumbers tape.

The beauty of the MityVac is that the container that the old fluid is drawn into is about the same capacity as the reservoir on the vehicle,  so you know when the container is getting full you need to empty it and top up the reservoir at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:34:57 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5876

• Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2017, 02:56:41 PM »
Brand new caliper ordered, new discs and pads for each side too. I'll have a look at the left hand rear sliders and see how they are while I pull the caliper off to change the discs and pads over.

I'm also going to bleed the brakes the old fashioned way but using a buddy on the pedal.

I know brake fluid is for brake fluid but some cars have brake and clutch fluid and I wasn't sure if the car shared the brake fluid with the clutch. But being an auto I wasn't sure which was I asked the question.

guest5876

• Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2017, 11:47:04 PM »
Rear caliper replaced... I'm glad I did it as every bolt holding not on including the slider pins were solid. The piston has seized and you couldn't even wind it back in...  to the left side now and went to change the pads and disc and well one slide pin was solid too so they were Galen out, cleaned up and greased and now everything is as it should.

To everyone who will under take this task and if it hasn't been done for a long time then you will need some wd40, breaker bars and a select set of sockets. Just done break any bolts. I did and has to do to a garage to find a gash bolt. Lucky someone had one and away I went.

Ryan.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 09:18:36 AM »
Rear caliper replaced... I'm glad I did it as every bolt holding not on including the slider pins were solid. The piston has seized and you couldn't even wind it back in...  to the left side now and went to change the pads and disc and well one slide pin was solid too so they were Galen out, cleaned up and greased and now everything is as it should.

To everyone who will under take this task and if it hasn't been done for a long time then you will need some wd40, breaker bars and a select set of sockets.

Ryan.

Original WD40 is not a penetrating oil,  not even a lubricant (although WD do make some different stuff these days),  plus gas is.

Discs are a bad choice of brake on rear of a family hatchback,  and  not even a good handbrake and they get every bit of crap thrown up by front wheels,  - I have seldom had trouble with front discs but rear discs are a different matter.    In the past on cars with rear drums apart from occasional adjustment (accessible from inside the car) of handbrake cable I have not even had to worry about the brakes for at least 100,000  miles, when new shoes may be required,  all the workings are well protected - have never replaced a rear drum but have had to replace rear discs as early as 40,000 miles as they basically rusted away.   I now have winter tyres on steel wheels and because of the added protection from the steel rims with trims on the rear discs do get better protected in the winter - one more reason for changing wheels for winter.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:57:55 AM by culzean »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »
They reckon WD40 is good for bad knees.  ;)

Agree about rear disc handbrake arrangements on cars though, had more than my fair share of this caper after owning a Ford Galaxy for 14 years. Had a smashing Citroen XM once, that had the handbrake on the front calipers - the actual calipers gave no bother at all, but the handbrake cables didn't last long with all the turning.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 09:59:24 AM »
They reckon WD40 is good for bad knees.  ;)

That will be the bad knees you get from kneeling on the drive fixing your brakes LOL

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 10:33:44 AM »
I am working my way through "Wheeler Dealers" at the moment, and Ed China always uses WD40 as a penetrating fluid! All I ever used was "Plus Gas", then, because my company bought a ton of it, "Free".

guest5876

• Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
Well it worked either way. Wd is a penetrable fluid and it did the job. I've also done 300 miles since and I can safely safe I have no problems

Tags:

anything