Author Topic: All warning lights on  (Read 5074 times)

guest6471

All warning lights on
« on: December 10, 2016, 09:36:20 PM »
I started my 09 ishift Jazz and stopped it after a couple of seconds in a moment of indecisiveness. When I tried to start it again it did not turn over as usual. Having had a couple of slow cranks in the recent frosts I thought the battery might be on the way out. I changed the battery and it still won't start immediately but if I hold the key it will pause for a few seconds and then start normally. There is no gear indication at all and all the system warning lights are on. Airbag, abs, ishift, engine, stability, etc. But not the PGM-F1. The engine responds to the throttle OK  but I can't get a gear.  I've tried disconnecting the battery for an hour: twice. Repeatedly restarting at 30 second intervals.  No change. Anyone have any ideas?  Thank you.

guest5770

• Topic Starter
Re: All warning lights on
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 08:30:20 AM »
Have you checked all the fuses?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 03:12:10 PM »
I believe the gear position may be in an undetermined state, so it does not know which way to move things.

There are i-Shift troubleshooting guides in the manual at http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html about 1/2 way & 3/4s down the Trans/Driveline index page such as this page http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual3/en/html_en/000000000001343.html

If there is a fault it's likely that someone with an OBDII code reader could read it to help diagnose the issue (i.e. with an ELM327)

The gauges warning lights are have their own control unit that receives instructions from the primary ECU.  Disconnecting the battery as you have done should reset things, but there is an alternative method that may be worth trying, removing fuse #20 (15a) from the fusebox by the drivers knee resets the ECU.  After this you should perform the idle re-learn procedure before making a journey. 

Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, lights, etc.) are off.
Remove & replace fuse #20 (or Reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS.)
Turn the ignition switch to ON (II), and wait 2 seconds.
Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (A/T in P or N, M/T in neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 90 °C (194 °F).
Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.
NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.
Optional (Verify on the HDS data list that the idle learn procedure is complete.)

--
TG

guest6471

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 04:42:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I have checked all the fuses and in doing so removed and replaced fuse 20. I also checked the voltage at the battery was normal while the engine was running, which it was so I think the alternator is OK. No change.  I measured the voltage at the accessory plug which was nearly 15v which seems high to me.

All systems are showing warnings, not just the ishift. So it makes me think it's not just the ishift but something common to all.

I called the breakdown service we have and the technicians OBD reader kept losing coms. Codes U0029,  0122 and 0101. He recommended a Honda software check. Sounds expensive!

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 10:53:41 PM »
14.x volts while charging is quite normal and OK.

From  http://www.autocodes.com/u0029_honda.html

U0029 Honda
Description: The Controller Area Network (CAN) transmits/receives pulsing signal to/from the control module simultaneously by using two signal (CANH and CANL). When the Engine Control Module (ECM) does not receive the signal via the CAN lines for a set of more, the ECM detects a malfunction and sets the U0029 code.

P0122 and P0101 are throttle position sensor & mass airflow sensor codes.  It seems possible that you have a loose plug, a missing earth, or there are frayed/worn cables in the loom.  I'd check that all electrical plugs in the engine bay are secure especially those going to the gearbox.  The ECU is well protected above the side panel in the passenger footwell so the plugs there are unlikely to have become loose.

There is a test procedure to check the gauges cluster is working properly plus the CAN communications lines to it.

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html  >  Gauges  >  Gauge Control Module Self-diagnostic Function
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 10:56:54 AM »
14.x volts while charging is quite normal and OK.

alternator needs to supply 14.5 to 14.8 volts to charge the battery
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest6471

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 06:47:30 PM »
It turned out to be a faulty MICU in the fuse box which knobbled the can-bus. Absolutely ridiculous cost to get a replacement from Honda, but diagnosis was beyond my resources so I chose to take the hit.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 07:30:16 PM »
Good to know you are up and running again.
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 07:49:09 PM »
That's the trouble with a lot of bus systems,  they are quite fragile really and subject to interference and damage which is never cheap, just one more thing to go wrong and hit you in the pocket.   I used to work on industrial busses, and while they offered advantages in installation time and cost and are  nice when it comes time to add stuff,  sometimes just a kink or tight bend in the data cable could fault the system out and stop you production line.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest6471

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 07:50:46 PM »
Thanks for your help guys

Tags:

anything