Author Topic: Battery Life?  (Read 16841 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Battery Life?
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2017, 10:14:31 PM »
But be careful. It could be bl**dy hot! I talk from personal experience.

guest4871

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2017, 10:43:20 PM »
I have a 2014 EX which was delivered in March 2014 with what I always thought was a dodgy battery. Probably a faulty cell. It never tested with a voltage above 12.4 volts from new - even when charged overnight.

When I mentioned this on the first dealer service, I was told they had seen worse.

Not having much confidence in the battery, I recently replaced it with a Yuasa Silver and now am more comfortable that I will not be "let down".

I am not sure the battery is covered under the Honda warranty anyway and I believe the manufacturer, Varta, would only give a partial refund proportionate to the balance of the unused part of the battery life. I would have spent more time/ money than that to visit the dealer to complain!

Could have been the same batch?

The Yuasa website is a good read on batteries and testing etc.:

http://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/need-know-batteries

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2017, 09:50:40 PM »
I think the interior lights turn off anyway after a few mins - not sure about the boot lamp.

Well, this turns out to not be correct!  I'm sure I've experienced the map reading lamps turning themselves off, but maybe I'm thinking of a different car.

Turned out the issue with daughter's car is granddaughter had turned on the rear interior lamp. I'm annoyed with myself for not suggesting checking it earlier and she's annoyed for not thinking of it too - she's normally pretty good with car stuff.

It would have been nice if the random recovery guy that Honda Assist had sent had checked on Saturday.  Car was dead again on Sunday and I got her to check then and the lamp was still on.  She was busy with other things on Sunday so called Honda Assist again mid-morning today (Monday) and they sent a proper AA patrol who did a much more thorough job.  I was quite concerned as the battery was so flat this morning that the central locking wouldn't work and radio had lost its code, but he checked the battery condition and pronounced it OK.   She's here tonight and after a few hours standing I checked the voltage as mentioned above and it's exactly 12.6V, so fingers crossed.

I've never had occasion to pay any of our Jazzs batteries any attention before but it really is dinky, isn't it!  Here's is a Varta, 35Ah.

guest4871

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
I think there are three settings for the interior light switch.

OFF!

FADE - Middle setting - Comes on when ignition key is turned off and stays on until door is shut (and then a little),  then automatically fades to off. Comes on when you open the door and then fades or goes off when the door is shut or ignition turned on.

ON - Permanently on (or until the battery fails ;-))

The ceiling interior light switch is a bit fiddly to get to the centre setting.

Your first man would have seen the interior light correctly illuminated if he had the door open because it automatically comes on in FADE mode when you open the door (I think!).

PS I may not have all the FADE activity quite right but you get the drift.............

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2017, 07:00:09 PM »

It's this part that is a bit rubbish on Jazz.  Most cars for some years have turned off the interior lights after 15 mins or so if they've been left on or if a door or the boot is left open.  Precisely to avoid the scenario we experienced.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2017, 07:24:28 PM »

It's this part that is a bit rubbish on Jazz.  Most cars for some years have turned off the interior lights after 15 mins or so if they've been left on or if a door or the boot is left open.  Precisely to avoid the scenario we experienced.

I think quite a few cars let you have interior courtesy lights on with ignition off if you use the switch on the light - the most inexplicable thing I ever saw on a car was my wifes Fiat Punto, where the radio stayed on when you turned ignition off,  that flattened the battery once, I could never get used to having to turn the radio off every time you left the car.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:34:31 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2017, 08:29:04 PM »
My 56 plate Jazz is the newest car I have ever owned (year wise). Every car I have had would let the interior lights burn until such time as the battery went flat, if left in on position. The new cars with Canbus, or whatever it's called, have far more sophisticated electrics.

Tags: