Author Topic: Auto light adjustment  (Read 4994 times)

guest6425

Auto light adjustment
« on: November 22, 2016, 04:15:43 PM »
My auto lights (to me) seem to wait until its a bit darker than I'd like before they activate, is there anyway to get them to turn on a bit earlier?

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Auto light adjustment
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:48:06 PM »
It seems to be a matter of preference, in my view mine come on too soon!
Even on a nice sunny day, if I stop under overhanging trees, then the lights come on.
As far as I can tell, there is no user adjustment, unless someone knows different?

TopDown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 03:32:40 AM »
I turned the auto lights off.

The light sensor's view of when lights were needed never seemed to tie in with when I judged they were required.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 08:19:15 AM »
Top down
That's the problem, on the Mk3 they can't be turned off permanently, since the Off position is spring loaded.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
I turned the auto lights off.

The light sensor's view of when lights were needed never seemed to tie in with when I judged they were required.

and the score is .......

Humans united 10     automation town 0

Commentators quote..  I guess that the automation team really need to learn the rules of the game,  it almost seems as though they are not playing in the real world, or is it just a massive lack of judgment.  If automation continues to play like this they will be in the relegation zone at end of season.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 08:51:15 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 12:16:32 PM »
A single ambient light brightness sensor can't make judgements about the circumstances. Hence on a bright summer's day a tree shadow can cause the lights to come on while it's not clever enough to turn on the lights under moderately bright but murky conditions when a prudent driver wants to make their vehicle more visible to others. I used to use manual on the Mk 2 but was caught out on several occasions because two clicks of the light switch only turned on the side lights, not the headlights.

The auto lighting control's judgement may improve in the future if use is made of more sensors. The Mk 3 Jazz has a forward looking camera which is used for several functions but I don't think it provides an input to the lighting control. It could do, but would need to be supported by a backward looking camera so the system can choose the worst lighting situation (eg the driving into / away from the sun condition).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 01:40:31 PM »
Another problem is getting a light sensor that matches the same spectrum as the human eye,  I think I will stick with manual light control until they get it right ( I guess around the year 2050,  which will be well before autonomous cars are sorted - but I will certainly no longer be driving anyway).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 01:44:28 PM »
All that is needed. is for Honda to take the springloading off the lighting control and return to the Mk2 configuration, then everyone will be happy.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 01:51:18 PM »
All that is needed. is for Honda to take the springloading off the lighting control and return to the Mk2 configuration, then everyone will be happy.
I think it also needs to make Auto the last position on the switch so the positions are: off - side - head - auto.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »
I think it also needs to make Auto the last position on the switch so the positions are: off - side - head - auto.

+1

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 10:58:13 PM »
Honda's general opinion on Auto lights used to be that you should set the switch in the off position and only select Auto once the car was started.

This was to do with preserving the battery in case of too much current drain from a low battery when starting the car.

If the default position now unavoidably starts with Auto On - there must be a legal precedent causing Honda to adopt this procedure.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 07:29:35 AM »
Honda's general opinion on Auto lights used to be that you should set the switch in the off position and only select Auto once the car was started.

This was to do with preserving the battery in case of too much current drain from a low battery when starting the car.

If the default position now unavoidably starts with Auto On - there must be a legal precedent causing Honda to adopt this procedure.

There probably is a legal precedent - somewhere in the nanny state rules book.  Otherwise some some numpty was involved in an accident in thick fog at midnight driving around with no lights on because his defence was 'the car had automatic lights'  (just like the American who left his camper van on cruise control and went into back to make cup of coffee, he inevitably crashed but won his case against the camper van maker because there wasn't a big safety label covering half the windscreen and they hadn't explicitly said in their instructions that you still had to stay in the drivers seat to drive the vehicle once you turned cruise control on)   - the minority does stupid things and the majority has to suffer - that is not democracy.  After that they probably installed a switch under the drivers seat so that engine would not run if there was no one sitting in the seat.  You can't cure stupid

Tags:

anything