Author Topic: Thinking about Hybrid...auto stop start putting me off  (Read 6586 times)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Thinking about Hybrid...auto stop start putting me off
« on: February 19, 2016, 07:24:27 AM »
I am thinking about getting a used Hybrid, c3 years/30000mi. I have never owned a car with auto stop start, and this "feature" is worrying me.

Specifically the situation where one is waiting at a busy T-junction for a gap in the traffic and needs to accelerate as quickly as possible. In my current Mk2 Jazz I will slip it into S mode in these situations.

Does the auto-start add any delay, or can it be easily overriden in such situations?

Thanks....any other comment about wisdom of getting a three year old Hybrid?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Thinking about Hybrid...auto stop start putting me off
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 09:02:50 AM »
The auto stop on the Jazz hybrid works very smoothly because it uses the hybrid battery and IMA motor. These start the car and engine moving and then some fuel gets added to provide more power. It's much better than the auto stop on the non hybrid Jazz where there is a slight pause while the engine has to be started.

I would consider that a 3 year old hybrid would be a good buy if you are doing a substantial number of miles, particularly under the conditions where the modest battery capacity gives most benefit (ie more urban with stop-start conditions and less open road where there's limited scope for energy recover / reuse).

You will, however, lose the hole under the boot floor for the spare wheel (if you are someone who likes to be prepared for the serious puncture in the middle of nowhere).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 09:05:42 AM »
The engine will restart before you can get your right foot on the gas pedal, there is no delay, and acceleration is brisk. I suggest you take one for a test drive and not just a poodle through the town centre, take it on a dual carriageway, through a few sets of lights, on the test drive is the time to make sure its the car for you.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 09:17:04 AM »
The auto stop on the Jazz hybrid works very smoothly because it uses the hybrid battery and IMA motor. These start the car and engine moving and then some fuel gets added to provide more power. It's much better than the auto stop on the non hybrid Jazz where there is a slight pause while the engine has to be started.

Thanks very much John and Ozzie.....the above is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I imagine with the high torque from the electric motor it might even be more responsive than a standard Jazz in the 0-10mph range.

I am aware of the spare wheel issue and even though I am the type who likes to be prepared for every eventuality I might have to swallow this.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 10:21:45 AM »
Yes, the motor is most effective at the lower end of the engine rpm range.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 02:29:28 PM »
Yes, the motor is most effective at the lower end of the engine rpm range.
;D ;D Oh Yes ! Pupils love it. Once they get a bit confident, they can get away from junctions with ease, and keep up with more powerful cars without the fear of stalling that you get in a manual car.

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 05:16:36 PM »
I echo Ozzie's comments, particularly if you switch off econ mode the car pulls away  from lghts or out of junctions very rapidly and you can be yards down the road while those behind you are probably playing around with clutch and gear changes etc.

The auto restart is very quick and can be done whilst the car is in gear giving immediate auto clutch engagement.

Wonder how many miles Ozzie has done now?

Dave C
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

guest5251

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 10:18:29 PM »
my partner has the jazz hybrid and she loves it,
but remember it isn't a full hybrid ,you cant start the car in EV
mode and drive off you always have to have the engine running
and then gingerly you can get into the ev mode although i find
staying in ev mode not the easiest thing to do.
economy, kath gets 45 'ish / gallon her journeys are normally
round town and not too long

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 08:33:20 AM »
The Jazz hybrid's IMA system is a watered down version of what is being used in F1: Energy recovery during braking to help the engine during acceleration. The limited size of the battery means that this hybrid system gives the most benefit in driving conditions with lots of braking and acceleration and not much benefit under open road conditions.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 01:42:45 PM »
Wonder how many miles Ozzie has done now?

Dave C
Currently at 191500 miles :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 04:00:52 PM »
The Jazz hybrid's IMA system is a watered down version of what is being used in F1: Energy recovery during braking to help the engine during acceleration. The limited size of the battery means that this hybrid system gives the most benefit in driving conditions with lots of braking and acceleration and not much benefit under open road conditions.

makes sense to let electric motor do the braking (except emergency stops lol) and generate power back into a storage device ( battery or super-capacitor) for re-use.   plug-in electric seems to be popular, where you can charge the battery from domestic power outlet and get 15 to 20 miles on battery alone,  that bit of smoke and mirrors gets even a high power car congestion charge exempt (example BMW i8 sports car) by ignoring the fact that once battery is empty the car will then do less than 30 / 40mpg due to having to recharge battery and lug batteries around.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 04:03:09 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: