Author Topic: How to change driveshaft?  (Read 5875 times)

guest5647

How to change driveshaft?
« on: November 15, 2015, 07:04:56 PM »
Hi,

My jazz makes an awful awful groaning above 10mph. Gets louder and faster with speed. I thought at first it was a wheel bearing but they sound smooth and there is no play.

It sounds like it is coming from in front of me as a driver and passengers say it sounds quite central.

A friend has said it could be the driveshaft bearing inner. He has said that I could change the driveshaft and see if that does it.

firstly how easy is it to change one? Or the bearing on it that goes into the diff? And Has anyone else any thoughts on my issue before I pursue this?

Thanks for your help! The noise is so loud it makes your ears bleed and I've had since I bought the car but not managed to diagnose yet!

guest5589

• Topic Starter
Re: How to change driveshaft?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 08:57:46 PM »
interesting.. my Jazz SE suffers from what sounded to me like wheel bearings. I have tried to locate the noise but all I could come up with was rear wheel bearings.. the left side specially sounds specially bad and it first started to be noticeable above 50mph but now it has started whining at 30ish...

I took the drum off and rotated the wheel hub by hand and this is what it was like. .quite hard.. i have ordered a new bearing and will be replacing it soon..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phitrDadiR8

you have actually scared me as the gearbox has a bit of an oil leak and im scared to think its whiny driveshaft...

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 03:30:24 PM »
it could be the driveshaft bearing inner.
firstly how easy is it to change one?
The noise is so loud it makes your ears bleed
First off driving a car that loud can't be good, the worn surface must be generating quite a bit of heat as well and could create a sudden secondary problem.
Do you get knocking when making full lock turns?
Is it a manual or CVT?
If manual does the noise disappear / reduce when coasting? Vary with gear selection?
I would suggest it's more likely gearbox bearings, there is a thread http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=97.0

what sounded to me like wheel bearings...  this is what it was like. .
Can be checked with wheel on; worth jacking up other side to compare, but that does seem rough.
--
TG

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 08:11:59 PM »
it could be the driveshaft bearing inner.
firstly how easy is it to change one?
The noise is so loud it makes your ears bleed
First off driving a car that loud can't be good, the worn surface must be generating quite a bit of heat as well and could create a sudden secondary problem.
Do you get knocking when making full lock turns?
Is it a manual or CVT?
If manual does the noise disappear / reduce when coasting? Vary with gear selection?
I would suggest it's more likely gearbox bearings, there is a thread http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=97.0

what sounded to me like wheel bearings...  this is what it was like. .
Can be checked with wheel on; worth jacking up other side to compare, but that does seem rough.
--
TG

That bearing was quite worn indeed, replaced it and that quietened down the car quite a lot but now I am 100% the other side is humming too .. not half as bad but I will swap it out soon.

guest5647

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 12:44:07 PM »
Hi thanks for the replies.

The car is a manual. When coasting noise doesn't change at all. When I turn left (at reasonable speed like a long sleeping corner) the noise almost disappears but at the straight ahead and when turning right the noise is as loud as ever. Does not change when changing gear, it is just a loud groan from 15 mph onwards and gets louder with speed (relatively - seems quieter at motorway speeds and very loud at around 40 mph).

I am certain it is coming from front of car.

I know it's not good to drive. I need it for a work and it's my commuter car hence why I am trying to solve as soon as I can but my own investigations haven't come out good! Don't have time or desire to take to garage and would prefer to fix myself on a weekend.

Noise does not change with temperature and all gears engage smoothly.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 05:45:05 PM »
if the noise disappears when turning the steering wheel to one side its gonna be a wheel bearing,  its a classic symptom as it changes the direction of loading on the bearing from a rough part to a part where the surface is smooth
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 12:22:21 PM »
Gearbox bearing faults seem to have had more discussion than driveshaft ones, but that doesn't preclude that as the fault.  Either job is quite tricky without decent working space under the car, and if you need the car to be drivable for commuting it may be a question of time available.
Jack car up and rotate wheel by hand to check for wheel bearing roughness, you can compare each side, although with Jazz it's usually the rear ones. Front wheel bearings require a press.
Probably worth getting a garage's free opinion, on a 2003 car how many of the nuts are going to be tough to remove?

Driveshaft: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00E16226600000KAAT00.HTML
Wheel bearing / Knuckle: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00B20200036401KBAT20.HTML

--
TG

Tags: