Author Topic: How do I fix up scratches on my car...?  (Read 9532 times)

guest5341

How do I fix up scratches on my car...?
« on: July 08, 2015, 02:43:24 PM »
Hi guys.
Quick one, but I'm just needing to know how to fix up these areas of my car. It's a used Jazz, so the marks were like this when I got the car.
I know nothing about how to repair it, so some tips would be great.

Cheers!

[attachment deleted by admin]

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: How do I fix up scratches on my car...?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 07:33:22 PM »
The marks by the wheel arch may wash off or try WD40, you would be surprised what that removes on paintwork.

You could also try 'T-Cut', available from your local car shop. After using 'T-Cut' polish the areas concerned.

The scratches by the name plate are a bit odd and look as though they may have been caused by a dog scratching to get in the car.

Vic.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:30:57 PM »
the wheel arch looks like the clear coat has been shattered, def re-spray job on the back you might get most of it off with polishing with a rotary polisher but i doubt you would get it all

i hope you got money off for the damage when you bought it

TopDown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:19:32 AM »
Might be easier to sort the scratches on the hatchback if you remove the Jazz badge first.

It's only stuck on with badge tape, which you can cut through with fishing line, although I've heard some people use dental floss!

You can clean off any residue with white spirit or Meths and re-apply the badge using new tape when you're finished.

As for the front end, it won't just clean up with elbow grease. Looks like a respray is required as the paint has delaminated.

Someone like Chips-away might be your best course of action - for both ends of the car.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:21:32 AM by TopDown »

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 10:38:42 AM »
If your fingernail catches in the scratch then it will require professional attention as polishing will not remove the marks (although it may reduce its visibility - see below).

Always try the least abrasive polish first before moving onto something like T-Cut - some polishes contain fillers that mask defects. T-Cut is also a brand of its own with many different products in its range so make sure you get the correct one.

I've used Farécla G3 Scratch Remover paste to fix a scratch on the bottom corner of my bumper:
http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=2611.0

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 01:44:42 PM »
I would also recommend Farecla G3, I've used it on scratches and it worked well. It costs about £8 and is worth a try as the chips away type repairers will probably charge in excess of £50  for your repairs. Farecla  have a video on you tube showing how to use their product.
I should also add that having attempted to fix a scratched front bumper which had gone through the layers of paint I had to admit defeat and paid about £100 for a local Bumpsaway repair, some you win ........

guest5341

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 03:09:04 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.
I haven't actually got round to getting this sorted yet (been on holiday) but I was in B&Q and picked this up since I saw it on the shelf (http://www.diy.com/departments/t-cut-scratch-remover-150g/174553_BQ.prd).
I'll give it a go when I can and see what the result is. If it's not great then I'll look into the Ferecla G3 as from your pictures RichardA, it seems to do a good job!

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 08:15:41 AM »
If you lick your finger or something and wet them do they go. If yes they polish if not they dont polish.

Wheelarch needs sanded and re lacquer.

Tags:

anything