Author Topic: Grinding noise on hard turn  (Read 28711 times)

guest5315

Grinding noise on hard turn
« on: March 22, 2015, 09:31:22 AM »
Hi All

I am having a grinding noise when I turn hard right, it does not do it every time either. Sometimes very slight sometimes quite loud. I thought at first it was the brake dust cover rubbing as that’s what it sounds like but that is well clear. The brake pads are good, well away from worn out. There is no effect on the steering which is vibration free and drives straight, no problem with the brakes either.

It has a new gaiter on that side, put on before I got that car so I am thinking a problem with the drive shaft where it joins the wheel.

Has anyone had something similar, any ideas?

Cheers
 :)

guest4283

• Topic Starter
Re: Grinding noise on hard turn
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 06:36:16 PM »
No one's jumped in thus far so I will.

What's the mileage?

Does it make a noise when you're stopped and pull hard right with steering wheel?

What's the CV gaiter on the opposite side like? I seem to remember that it's the CV joint on the opposite side to the direction the car is turning that would make a noise if there was a problem.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:29:19 PM »
its pretty rare to get problems with CV joints on modern cars, CV noise should get worse if you put power on while steering on full lock as this is the worst condition for them to transfer drive power to the wheel.

Could be tyre rubbing on something ? are the tyres correct size for the car, is the wheel offset correct (should be 45mm I think - it is stamped into the rim of wheel - the offset is distance between face which bolts onto hub and centreline of wheel rim) - best way is to take front wheels off and see if anything obvious  - do you have mudflaps, sometimes they can catch tyre on full lock
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:33:09 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:18:35 AM »
Hi

Thank you for your replies.

The mileage is 86000. No there is no noise when turned hard right when standing or at low speed, get it up around 30-40 and turn hard right and it will vary from nothing to a harsh grinding. I usually do short runs so I need to take it on a long one to see if it gets worse the more its used.

I will check the gaiter on the others side, I assume its ok as it passed the MOT. An interesting thought that it should be the other side that makes the noise on full lock, the noise seems to be coming from the right though.

The tyres are the correct size and there are no mud flaps on mine. Its not a tyre rubbing sound, it sounds like something metal rubbing on the brake disk. My first thought was the brake dust cover as it sounds exactly like that, however when I took the wheel off and checked it all it was fine. The cover has seen better days but there is plenty of room between it and the brake disk, I could see nothing out of place.

I tried driving around in circles in an open space and at first nothing then it began, as I drove away it grinding and stopped once straight. At normal driving its either not there or very slight, I thought it was clearing and that it was some rust maybe on the joint. The car has done very little mileage in the last year and I wondered if it has been sat with a ripped gaiter then it might have rusted and with use go away. However while taking a roundabout the other day it let rip again and quite load, even the wife heard it so that says something lol.

A tricky one  ::)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 09:02:05 AM »
Could be a damaged wheel bearing, on a quiet road try slaloming right with no load on the CV joint (coasting) if the noise still happens it could be wheel bearing has been damaged by bad pothole impact or similar.  A front wheel bearing may not make noticeable noise when straight ahead but when direction of load is changed by turning wheel at an angle to the road the bearing may make a grinding noise.   Putting power on while wheel at an angle also increases load on wheel bearing as well as CV joint.   Jack up the car and spin the front wheels, also try to rock them to see if any play in bearings although the bearing can be noisy and still have no side play.   You could put steering on full RH lock and jack that side up and spin wheel and feel if any roughness,  but do the other side as well.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:32:16 PM »
Often caused by a stone stuck between disk and disk dust shield..

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »
Could be a damaged wheel bearing, on a quiet road try slaloming right with no load on the CV joint (coasting) if the noise still happens it could be wheel bearing has been damaged by bad pothole impact or similar.  A front wheel bearing may not make noticeable noise when straight ahead but when direction of load is changed by turning wheel at an angle to the road the bearing may make a grinding noise.   Putting power on while wheel at an angle also increases load on wheel bearing as well as CV joint.   Jack up the car and spin the front wheels, also try to rock them to see if any play in bearings although the bearing can be noisy and still have no side play.   You could put steering on full RH lock and jack that side up and spin wheel and feel if any roughness,  but do the other side as well.

I will try this, I had not considered a wheel bearing. Thanks

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 12:55:54 PM »
I took it out for a long run today, a good 80 miles. It made a light grinding noise on a couple of roundabouts but other than that silence. I have not been able to find a quiet bit of road to slalom the car but did find some car park space to give it some hard right hand circles. I went round and round until I was literally giddy  :D but it would not make a sound! I reckon this is one of those problems where its going to have to get worse before it can be found.

guest2913

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »
Trust my girl is poor and now not far off a year but she never lets me down, gets me to and from work warm and safe and always starts up. you'll get like me, if it hasn't broken yet don't replace yet! haha but i did have a cv joint go on mine and bill was not far off 900 quid :(

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 05:44:24 PM »
My grinding noise is back! I was able today to do some right hand turns in neutral and it made no difference. The faster the speed the louder the grind. I was able to jack her up but nothing obviously wrong, no signs of anything fouling. I fancied the N/S drive shaft at the gearbox end sounded a bit noisy but I am no expert to say if that was normal or not and just the sound of it being turned.

Some days there is no noise at all and like today awful, odd. :(

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 07:25:34 PM »
I had a similar problem on a previous Jazz that had an intermittent grinding, vibration type noise that was not associated with turning or other manoeuvres.
The clue in my case was the noise, when present, would start after braking and then go away.
The cause was sticking brake piston/s on a front brake.
The remedy was to replace the brake caliper rather than refurbish the old caliper when labour charges were taken into account.

Vic.

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 08:09:39 AM »
Hi Vic

I am pretty sure mine is not brakes, it does not change if brakes used or not. Cars always something with them lol  :'(

guest4283

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 02:06:15 PM »
As Culzean as said previously it could be a damaged wheel bearing. Try rocking each of the front wheels and checking for play. Use your hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock and then 6 and 12 o'clock positions. Obviously chock the rear wheels and make sure car is on axle stands not just a jack like this 'redneck' below. A jack can fail at anytime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq1zGxnF8Qk

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »
As Culzean as said previously it could be a damaged wheel bearing. Try rocking each of the front wheels and checking for play. Use your hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock and then 6 and 12 o'clock positions. Obviously chock the rear wheels and make sure car is on axle stands not just a jack like this 'redneck' below. A jack can fail at anytime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq1zGxnF8Qk

Thank you for the link. I should have mentioned earlier I tried this the other day and all seems normal no play, I wish there was bearing play at least I would know what to do next lol. I am leaning towards drive shaft  :-\

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 03:33:26 PM »
Thank you for the link. I should have mentioned earlier I tried this the other day and all seems normal no play, I wish there was bearing play at least I would know what to do next lol. I am leaning towards drive shaft  :-\

problem with noisy bearings is they don't always have play in them  :-X - and when they do have play in them they may not always make a noise - funny things bearings  :'(

other problem is its hard to spin front wheels fast enough to check noise,  I have seen a screwdriver blade on the end of stub axle (may have to remove grease cap if one is fitted) with handle of screwdriver pressed to your ear and spin the wheel this amplifies any noise in the bearing.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:37:38 PM by culzean »

Tags:

anything