Author Topic: Quiet tyres  (Read 4020 times)

guest5285

Quiet tyres
« on: March 13, 2015, 09:20:35 PM »
I've had my 2009 Jazz EX now for just over two weeks, in that time I've managed to get a few items sadly missing from the standard equipment on the model, namely a spare wheel (alloy), a jack and toolkit (from a Mk1 Jazz off ebay) and a set of anti theft wheelnuts, which I was very surprised the car did not have standard fitting with factory fitted alloys. I will keep the compressor on board for any necessary pressure adjustments but I do not intend to carry round a bottle of sealant I will never use. This morning I visited my local tyre stockist to have a new tyre fitted to my spare alloy, the 185/55/16 is apparantly quite a rare beast so choice was limited, no way would I buy budget and the only premium tyre they stocked in that size was Continental but the high price was prohibitive, this left 2 midrange tyres Nexen and Toyo, quite close in price, the Toyo being just £3.00 more. As my priorities with tyres are good ride comfort and low road noise I asked which they considered to be best in these areas. I was quite surprised to be shown a comparison chart showing all the parameters of the tyres including ride quality and noise as well as dry and wet grip and wear etc. After looking at the chart I bought the Toyo as it fared well on both noise and comfort. My front tyres will probably be ready for changing at the beginning of next winter, my intention being to replace one of the front tyres with another Toyo and bring the spare into use. I would like to know if any other Jazz owners are using the same Toyo tyres and get some comments on how they have found them particularly with regard to noise and ride comfort.

guest4078

• Topic Starter
Re: Quiet tyres
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 11:49:22 PM »
I have not used Toyo on a Jazz, but I did have them on a FIAT and they were very good, if a bit soft, so they wore fairly quickly - about 12k. I would use them again on a car with a fun chassis.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 11:08:14 AM »
Your best bet is to search/use mytyres.co.uk  search for tyre sizes their prices are competitive.
The Mini from BMW uses the same size tyres.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 01:18:53 PM »
Have a look at the tyre information plate on bottom of driver side  'B' pillar - this will say that either 185/55/16 or 175/65/15 can be fitted (only 10mm difference in width and rolling radius exactly the same)  - there is much more choice and much lower prices with more popular 175/65/15 tyres,  means a wheel change but if you are going to keep the car may be worth it in long run.  See mytyres.co.uk for good choice of alloys + tyre combinations at really good prices - I ordered winter tyres fitted to steel wheels from them and their service and prices are first class.

ride is a bit more comfortable with 175/65 tyres due to more sidewall height.

here is a good spread of opinions ??? on tyre sizes for Jazz - with photo of tyre information plate
http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=6763.0
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:23:56 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5285

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 05:22:32 PM »
I don't really want to go to the expense of getting another set of wheels and I unfortunately don't have a garage to store them in. I know the 175/65s would ride better but having been used to a Skoda Fabia VRS for the last 4 years with sports suspension and 205/45/16 tyres the ride of my EX Jazz is more comfortable to begin with. Even though it was a diesel and had wider tyres the VRS had lower overall noise levels at motorway speeds. It will be interesting to see if the noise level at speed drops when I have 2 Toyo's up front where most of the tyre noise seems to come from.

Tags:

anything