Author Topic: My Jazz fuel consumption is shocking  (Read 17068 times)

guest5212

My Jazz fuel consumption is shocking
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:32:52 PM »
Hey Guys,

ITS Jazz auto CVT 53 plate.

Need your suggestions , bought this jazz few weeks ago car had juddering when taking off , resolved with the help of this forum. Now the car had 130 k miles on the clock drives perfect .

The problem i am having is the MPG, its shocking in town its 18 MPG and on motorway its 37 MPG is this normal ??

I use to have Galaxy TDI auto and that use to drink less then this small car.

Car is perfect in all aspects just the fuel consumption is shocking.

The only other problems I have is that ABS light is on and Fan only works on full.

What should I will  be checking for Fuel consumption.

Thanks

guest5117

• Topic Starter
Re: My Jazz fuel consumption is shocking
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 01:29:39 PM »
If ABS light is on get that sorted first.

As soon as a warning light is on, most cars go into default mode. They start to ignore all sensor inputs that make the car become efficient.

Check if your callipers are not sticking, causing breaks to be slightly engaged all the time.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 04:18:08 PM »
I have to ask is this real-world calculated mpg or Narnia trip computer mpg? (Having said that, the trip computer nearly always tends to be over-optimistic.)

My worst was with a roof box on at 9.09 L/100km (31.1 mpg). Best was 5.22 L/100kmg (54.1 mpg). Round town
around 7 L/100 (so low 40s mpg).

Check spark plugs / ignition system. Perhaps worth getting one of those OBD thingies to see if any fault codes are showing. As well as TKhan's advice on checking the brakes for drag, check also that the transmission isn't slipping badly. Both those things will guzzle the juice.

Looking on the bright side, petrol is dirt cheap at the minute.  ;D

Alan

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:39:26 PM »
When did you last check the air filter because if it has not been routinely changed at service it could be blocking up and the effect is that you will use an awful lot of petrol  :D :D

guest3735

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 07:43:33 AM »
with reference to the fan only working on full.... this is usually caused by the fan resistor. decent garage or a sparky will be able to fix this in seconds. as for the fuel consumption, it could be any number of things.... calipers sticking, take out the brake pad pins, remove the pads, then copper slip the backs of the pads and reassemble... air filter or maybe gummed up injectors. i tend to dump a bottle of  fortron injector cleaner in the tank just before the mot (ebay £5, dealer £24 :o) which seems to clean up the emissions. turned out tesco hadn't cleaned out its fuel tanks and their ordinary unleaded isn't the best anyway.... so since an mot scare about 4/5 years ago, i've only used bp/ shell or super from tesco. no further probs on that score.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 08:30:07 AM »
Redex has been known to revive vehicle performance and MPG  in a spectacular fashion - don't mess putting 1/4 bottle in or whatever they say on packaging - for the first clean out dump the whole bottle in - and keep away from supermarket fuel (the main reason it is cheap is that they don't bother putting the cleaning and other additives into it). 

with modern cars if the air filter is blocked it will normally just drop performance, as the ECU and oxygen sensor in exhaust continually monitor the exhaust gas and adjust the injector timing to maintain correct air/fuel mixture, but it is worth replacing it anyway.

If car has a dealer service history it probably means spark plugs have never been changed and gaps are as wide as the grand canyon 

Any sticking brake will manifest itself as heat - take car out for a run and then feel the brake disc or drum, if one is considerably hotter than the others may point to a problem. 

As someone already pointed out the fan control is just a series of wire resistors that get switched in or out of circuit,  on full speed there are no resistors in circuit - just switched directly to 12V supply.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:36:21 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 08:58:56 AM »
and keep away from supermarket fuel (the main reason it is cheap is that they don't bother putting the cleaning and other additives into it). 

Having worked at one time in the petroleum industry that is a common quote that is completely untrue, I  also ran my previous Civic for eleven years the majority of the time on supermarket fuel and never had a problem with it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 10:12:25 AM »
and keep away from supermarket fuel (the main reason it is cheap is that they don't bother putting the cleaning and other additives into it). 

Having worked at one time in the petroleum industry that is a common quote that is completely untrue, I  also ran my previous Civic for eleven years the majority of the time on supermarket fuel and never had a problem with it.

My wife and I used to have identical Jazz manual  1.4 DSi cars (even same year) - she always used supermarket and mine always drove a lot better than hers did (I used to drive her car a lot because she never drives when I am around to do it) - To prove a point I started filling her car (secretly LOL) up with normal Esso or BP,  after a few weeks she said her car was driving better, and asked me if I had tuned up her car - I answered honestly no - but I have washed that supermarket gunk out of it. This was really a blind trial as she didn't know what I had done - also improved her cars MPG  - QED.

remember the contaminated (silicon in fuel) supermarket fuel incident about 7 years ago ? funny it only affected SM fuel and destroyed many peoples Lambda sensors.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1544495/Supermarkets-face-10m-bad-fuel-bill.html
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Hobo

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 11:21:22 AM »
My wife and I used to have identical Jazz manual  1.4 DSi cars (even same year) - she always used supermarket and mine always drove a lot better than hers did (I used to drive her car a lot because she never drives when I am around to do it) - To prove a point I started filling her car (secretly LOL) up with normal Esso or BP,  after a few weeks she said her car was driving better, and asked me if I had tuned up her car - I answered honestly no - but I have washed that supermarket gunk out of it. This was really a blind trial as she didn't know what I had done - also improved her cars MPG  - QED.

remember the contaminated (silicon in fuel) supermarket fuel incident about 7 years ago ? funny it only affected SM fuel and destroyed many peoples Lambda sensors.

It is called the placebo effect, over many years I have owned many different makes of cars including some high performance ones and have run them on both supermarket and branded fuels and never noticed the slightest difference in either performance or economy. Funny enough when the controversy over silicon in supermarket fuel was happening I continued to fill up at my local Tesco as it was just around the corner and my Civic never coughed once, though I can also remember the Shell incident a few years previous which affected everyone using Shell fuel.

Anyway you stated 'keep away from supermarket fuel (the main reason it is cheap is that they don't bother putting the cleaning and other additives into it)' which is untrue, if you are going to make statements like that which could influence others stick to facts not just your opinions. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:04:26 PM by Hobo »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »
Hobo,  you missed the point completely - as I said it was a 'blind trial'  my wife noticed the difference in the way the engine ran and she didn't know I had changed her fuel, so placebo affect could not possibly exist in her mind - also MPG is too objective a measure to be influenced either - are you saying that the ECU was influenced as well ? absolutely amazing.   People should always try alternatives themselves and come to their own opinion and if they don't agree with my findings so be it - remember 'you don't always get what you pay for, but if it is too cheap it is invariably Sh*t'

Hobo

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
You are also missing the point, the fact that your post re supermarket fuel was untrue, as my local Esso station is at the moment cheaper than the local supermarket, that according to you makes it sh*t.

You are welcome to your opinions but don't post something as a fact when it is not true and then try to justify the untruth not with facts but with posts about what is only your opinion and experience.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:15:52 PM by Hobo »

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 01:31:05 PM »
A sample size of one is an anecdote. The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.

Culzean can offer said experience as his anecdote / opinion / belief, as can Hobo and mkjazz . So far we have 3 consumer testimonials, of which:

One says that it "turned out tesco hadn't cleaned out its fuel tanks and their ordinary unleaded isn't the best anyway", BUT follows up with "i've only used bp/ shell or super from tesco. no further probs on that score."
One says supermarkets "don't bother putting the cleaning and other additives into it"
Another refutes the supermarkets claim as "completely untrue"

Read into that what you like.

I too remember the "Formula Shell" fiasco. Also remember Nikasil plated liners having problems with high sulphur fuel damaging the plating. No retailer whether supermarket or oil major is immune to fuel problems, e.g. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8475859.stm

For my unsupported anecdote tuppence worth, it is my opinion that dodgy deliveries occur from time to time and you can get a duff tank of fuel out of it no matter where you go.

I don't think it's the OP's particular problem though.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 03:17:39 PM »
On the supermarket fuel thing am I right in thinking that ALL fuel sold in the UK has to have an additive package? Somebody told me that some of the higher octane premium fuels have extra cleaners and that applies to fuel like Tesco Momentum as well.

I must say that, personally speaking, I have never had any fuel related issues and I've been using supermarket stuff for many years. I do put the Momentum fuel in when you get money off tokens for extra cleaning but I'm probably wasting my time!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 07:42:14 PM »
Tesco Momentum 99 is highly rated in comparison tests but there is no point in topping up with it occasionally.

If you have a half tank of normal 95 octane fuel and top up with, say, Momentum 99 the fuel in your tank is now 97 octane and the alleged extra additives are diluted by a half. I think you have got to start with a virtually empty tank and then by the second fill up you will be running on 99 and then you might start to feel the benefits, if any.

I use nothing but Tesco Momentum 99 because it is reportedly good stuff, I think my car runs a bit smoother on it and there might be a slight performance gain but my fuel consumption is about the same. I use Tesco fuel because their station is conveniently close and their current loyalty points scheme means I can get a considerable reduction on the price.

Vic.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 11:16:49 AM »
Fuel consumption - there's a tale, cold weather = higher consumption.
Assuming all the maintenance items checked/replaced inc tyres try fill to fill over a month then check mpg.
The dashboard reading are an indicator.
Supermarkets in UK hunt for deals inc petrol/diesel they have been known to buy on the market so stick to Shell/BP unleaded .
Happy motoring

Tags: